Conference Realignment

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Florida? Georgia? 

They've had 5 different schools play for a title since 2008- Bama, Auburn, UGA, Florida, LSU.. 

Since 2006 they've won 11 of the 15 titles... with 4 different schools winning them. There is literally no other conference that's comparable. 

Those 5 schools vs. OSU, UM, PSU, UW, and Iowa year in and year out.... SEC takes the vast majority of them. 

LSU has won 3 titles since 2003 and one was by Matty Mauck cmon now... good QB play and winning wasn't invented by the SEC. These schools are loaded. 

How many titles has Georgia won in the last ten years? 20? 30?

Your going all the way back to Urban Meyer for Florida. That was two jobs ago for him.

How many titles has LSU won since Saban got Bama rolling? 1 and it was a Burrow lightning in the bottle. ND has beaten them twice in the last 5 years. Not so mighty 

Auburn? Same, with a bidding war QB.

We can go back 15, 20,25 years and find different eras. I think 10 is pretty fair. Long enough but not too long. If I wanted to cherry pick I could say the ACC has won three of the last 6. FSU and Clemson twice.

It's Alabama. Look at how many titles they have won since 2011. It's like 6 or 7.

17 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

How many titles has Georgia won in the last ten years? 20? 30?

Your going all the way back to Urban Meyer for Florida. That was two jobs ago for him.

How many titles has LSU won since Saban got Bama rolling? 1 and it was a Burrow lightning in the bottle. ND has beaten them twice in the last 5 years. Not so mighty 

Auburn? Same, with a bidding war QB.

We can go back 15, 20,25 years and find different eras. I think 10 is pretty fair. Long enough but not too long. If I wanted to cherry pick I could say the ACC has won three of the last 6. FSU and Clemson twice.

It's Alabama. Look at how many titles they have won since 2011. It's like 6 or 7.

So.. the ACC is a better football conference then the SEC? Is that what you're arguing? 

Because it's factually inaccurate to think Bama is the only big dog in the SEC. You act like winning one title is just something that happens to a lot of schools. Sure LSU has only won "one" title since whenever... but they did win one. Whens the last time someone from the B1G won a title that wasn't OSU....... 1998. SEC has has 4 other teams (UT, LSU, UF, and Auburn) win a title since the last time anyone else other than OSU won one. 

To pretend, outside of Bama, the SEC and any other conference are equal... is false. 

They had the most 1st round draft picks in football, basketball, and baseball this past year, as well. 

11 of the last 15 titles. Last 15 years 73% of the time a SEC school wins. This is pretty straightforward stuff.

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So confused what stats I need to show to not be considered cherry picked.. 

Here are some suggestions

- Illegal procedure penalties

- Successful Hail Mary passes

- Players nicknamed Bubba

- Percentage of positive Covid tests

- Average number of ex-wives among coaching staff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here are some suggestions

- Illegal procedure penalties

- Successful Hail Mary passes

- Players nicknamed Bubba

- Percentage of positive Covid tests

- Average number of ex-wives among coaching staff.

Haha I guess.. brings up some random time ND beat LSU in the Champ Sports Bowl 4 years ago and I can't talk about last night's NBA draft. 🤷‍♂️

ND and Oklahoma have proven they can't hang with the SEC. Clemson and OSU have proven that they can. 

Tier 1- Bama

Tier 2- OSU, Clemson 

Tier 3- UGA, UF, LSU, Oklahoma, ND, Oregon

5 of those 9 are from the same conference now and the only school with multiple teams. 

Who else could you even include? Present day. 

You guys are SEC starstruck. 

I see it all the time. 

There's Bama. And then a couple of really good teams every year.

I would put OSU, Penn State and Wisconsin against that.

For instance, remember a couple of years ago when everybody wanted a two loss Georgia in the playoff? They got whacked by Texas in their bowl game. The joke down here was 'beat three loss team in history.

I'm not saying that when they make the playoff, they don't make it count, I'm just saying it's not nearly as deep as you think. Ole Miss. Now there is another dog that I forgot. 

31 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I see it all the time. 

For instance, remember a couple of years ago when everybody wanted a two loss Georgia in the playoff? They got whacked by Texas in their bowl game. The joke down here was 'beat three loss team in history.

I'm not saying that when they make the playoff, they don't make it count, I'm just saying it's not nearly as deep as you think. Ole Miss. Now there is another dog that I forgot. 

Again... They're the best conference in football, and it's not close. 

Penn State that lost to Nebraska and Maryland last year 😳😳😳😳 

Penn State hasn't been in a title game since the 80s... has Wisconsin ever been? 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Again... They're the best conference in football, and it's not close. 

Penn State that lost to Nebraska and Maryland last year 😳😳😳😳 

Penn State hasn't been in a title game since the 80s... has Wisconsin ever been? 

Agreed. To debate this is silly! The SEC is deep with NFL talent and elite coaches.  Any team can win a 1 game playoff, but very few teams are built to play a full SEC schedule.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

I see it all the time. 

You cherry picked one bowl game... 

What about the CFP the year prior when UGA dismantled Oklahoma?

Hey one score is one score! 

And you mean the Ole Miss team that beat a top 15 team in a bowl game? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

You cherry picked one bowl game... 

What about the CFP the year prior when UGA dismantled Oklahoma?

Hey one score is one score! 

And you mean the Ole Miss team that beat a top 15 team in a bowl game? 

Yeah, Ole Miss is a real power house.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/mississippi/index.html

Auburn too.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/index.html

LSU a couple of great seasons and 8 so so to good seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/louisiana-state/index.html

Florida with a very up and down....and I mean REAL down, last 10 years.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida/index.html

This is a common shirt down here(I live in sec country).

https://images.app.goo.gl/rYQJXnfvsk1Y5ZGNA

Do you guys even watch regular season football? Or are your noses stuck up the sec jockstraps? 

Edited by Sea Turtle

29 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Yeah, Ole Miss is a real power house.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/mississippi/index.html

Auburn too.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/index.html

LSU a couple of great seasons and 8 so so to good seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/louisiana-state/index.html

Florida with a very up and down....and I mean REAL down, last 10 years.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida/index.html

This is a common shirt down here(I live in sec country).

https://images.app.goo.gl/rYQJXnfvsk1Y5ZGNA

Do you guys even watch regular season football? Or are your noses stuck up the sec jockstraps? 

In the last 15 years.. in championship games that weren't won by Bama... the SEC has won 5 of 9 years. Pretty dispells your entire rhetoric. 

ACC- 3

B1G- 1 

SEC- 5

So.. I think the argument is the SEC is carried by Bama... Bama would carry any conference at any point in time with the winning they've done recently... 

But.. the rest of the SEC has won 1/3 of the last 15 championships by 3 different teams... I just don't understand how you can look past that. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So.. I think the argument is the SEC is carried by Bama... Bama would carry any conference at any point in time with the winning they've done recently... 

But.. the rest of the SEC has won 1/3 of the last 15 championships by 3 different teams... I just don't understand how you can look past that. 

I get it. And to be fair, their top probably is better than the other tops. There is just this misconception that 75% of the SEC is just amazing every year and it's just so brutal. 

But in reality you'll have Alabama with a strong LSU and Georgia one year, Alabama with a strong georgia and Florida the next and etc. The rest are pretty meh each year. It's like how the ACC was when Duke and North Carolina were great every year.

To me you have three great programs in cfb. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State. 

Then you have a cluster of ND, Oklahoma, Georgia,  oregon and maybe LSU and Wisconsin. But LSU has a lot of off field problems right now and is probably going to crash and burn soon.

Take Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson out, the top three teams, and it looks pretty bleak for the B1G and ACC as far as championships go. I know we as B1G fans like to toot the horn as it being a top conference, rightfully so, but when it comes to national championships in the the last twenty years for basketball and football the conference has been dismal. What is it one national championship in those two sports?

• Like 1

IU was the second best team in the B1G last year and we got waxed by what…the 6th best team in the SEC who had half their team sitting out? It wasn’t pretty. I hate it but @btownqb is right…and with Texas and OKl they only get stronger. Adding ISU and Kansas does nothing…this is an arms race and we are losing.

• Like 2

So, the bottom line is, either tuck your tail and bow down to the SEC, or buck up and improve yourselves so you can complete with them.

So tired of the “SEC, SEC” narrative. 
Get better. Show that you’re not in awe of Saban , or the whole lot of them.

If any team or conference concedes to the SEC, shame on them. 

If Clemson can go from an average program to where they are now, so can we 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I get it. And to be fair, their top probably is better than the other tops. There is just this misconception that 75% of the SEC is just amazing every year and it's just so brutal. 

But in reality you'll have Alabama with a strong LSU and Georgia one year, Alabama with a strong georgia and Florida the next and etc. The rest are pretty meh each year. It's like how the ACC was when Duke and North Carolina were great every year.

To me you have three great programs in cfb. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State. 

Then you have a cluster of ND, Oklahoma, Georgia,  oregon and maybe LSU and Wisconsin. But LSU has a lot of off field problems right now and is probably going to crash and burn soon.

So I value UF more than you essentially.. they just are in. Loaded area of talent. Goodness, loaded. 

UF is big in NE and central FL. Dk if Mullens the guy though. Tex AM is a UNC right now too though in my eyes... like just right there. 

34 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, the bottom line is, either tuck your tail and bow down to the SEC, or buck up and improve yourselves so you can complete with them.

This is what it gets down to, teams need to step up their game if they want to take the SEC down a notch.

The topic of conference realignment is really prone to getting sidetracked with aspects that seem like they should matter, but in reality are insignificant.

I'm not speaking in absolutes, but things that by-and-large don't matter:

1) Any sport other than football (not even basketball)

2) Football - historical rivalries

3) Football - Past glory (other than revenue over the past 5-10 years)

4) Market size of the region where a school is located (regionally based TV scheduling is obsolete)

5) Conference charters and contractual obligations to a conference (good lawyers and deep pockets trump contracts)

6) Geographic location relative to regional location of the conference

Things that do matter:

1) Level of national TV draw

2) The size of the school's national fan base and annual football revenue

2) The side of the academics/sports coin wielding the power within the conference (athletic department or president/chancellor)

4) Expected future performance on the field (think of "future" in terms of TV Contracts - 10 years)

Digging into conference and specific athletic program financials is extremely eye-opening and brings a lot of clarity to which schools are even in consideration for the SEC, Big 10, and ACC conferences.  Others have mentioned this in the thread already so I'm not going to rehash it.  I will include a few links though.  Since COVID severely impacted the financials last season, I prefer to look at 2018-2019 as a baseline.  Keep in mind private schools aren't included but it's relatively easy to find their revenue totals (P/L is a bit more tricky).  I've also included an interesting article on Alabama's athletic budget and a report on Notre Dame athletic department financials.

NCAA Athletic Department Revenue

The things you learn reading Alabama’s $164 million athletics budget closely

University of Notre Dame Sports Information

• Like 2

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

Sure LSU has only won "one" title since whenever... but they did win one.

LSU won a title under both Les Miles & Ed Orgeron. Saban won the won before those two. 

The SEC is ridiculous. Just ridiculous. I was thinking about this the other day, just consider the coaches in the SEC West. 

Nick Saban - has won multiple national titles at two different programs
Jimbo Fisher - won a title at Florida St.
Ed Orgeron - won a title at LSU & remember he was a part of those USC championship teams
Mike Leach - considered one of the best football minds
Lane Kiffin - has coached USC, Tennessee & the Raiders before learning under Saban.
Bryan Harsin - new kid but did really well at Boise St.
Sam Pittman - building a lot of momentum down at Arkansas

and that's just the SEC West. 

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

What has hurt the BIG is two programs basically no showing for the past 10 to 20 years.  Michigan in football and Indiana in basketball.

Who are we really kidding?  The B1G/Big 10 has struggled in football on the national stage my entire lifetime.  And that dates back to 1967.  JMHO