Conference Realignment

1 hour ago, JEFFVETTE said:

I wanted the BIG to once again offer Notre To s*** or get off the pot. If they do want in, bring them and WV. If they dont want in go get WV and Pitt.

I think it is pretty clear ND doesn't want to join the B1G. If they wanted to join, the conference leaders would do backflips to South Bend to get the papers signed.

Edited by Hoosier51

9 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think it is pretty clear ND doesn't want to join the B1G. If they wanted to join, the conference leaders would do backflips to South Bend to get the papers signed.

I can't argue that at all. But, getting pretty clear nowadays that you make a move or get left behind. They'll have to commit to a conference sooner or later or take a chance of not being eligible for the playoffs. If the conference's get real big, they'll all tell ND To kick rocks. So, the question is. Eventually, do they join a cash cow with the BIG in all sports, or the ACC in all sports with only Clemson in their way??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JEFFVETTE said:

I can't argue that at all. But, getting pretty clear nowadays that you make a move or get left behind. They'll have to commit to a conference sooner or later or take a chance of not being eligible for the playoffs. If the conference's get real big, they'll all tell ND To kick rocks. So, the question is. Eventually, do they join a cash cow with the BIG in all sports, or the ACC in all sports with only Clemson in their way??

Yeah i think eventually they will probably have to. Hopefully by that time the B1G and the Irish can get together and forget the past.

• Like 1

My thoughts are beginning to transition away from "what will happen" and "why it will happen", to think about instead on what I'd like to happen and what will be most beneficial long term.

It starts with accepting the reality of a few things.

1) No realistic path for the Big 10 or any other conference to match the SEC's current position of strength in football.

2) Football revenue is exclusively driving THIS situation, nothing else matters, but there's no reason for me personally to care about football revenue.  It ain't making my life better or worse.

3) Notre Dame will not join the Big 10 for a large and varied number of motivational and contractual reasons.  It's a shame because in terms of "on the field" football they are such a logical fit

4) There is 0% chance a school like Texas A&M would even consider leaving the SEC (unless you live here in Texas, it might be hard to relate to the complexities of the Aggies relationship with the SEC and UT).  People associated with TAMU consider their program on equal footing with Alabama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia, and they're hell bent on proving it.  They are chomping-at-the-bit to beat the absolute crap out of the Longhorns repeatedly in the coming years (a joy that will never get old).  Their Athletics Department generates the 2nd highest revenue in the country, there is nothing the SEC won't do to retain them in the conference.  Again, zero chance.

Deep exhale... well that simplifies things a bit, and even opens up possibilities for leap frogging the SEC at some point in the future (depending on your perspective).  But there are a few questions that need clarity before looking towards the future.

1) Why is the SEC the dominant football conference. could this change in the foreseeable future?

2) Is the completely football centric nature of this situation warping my (your) perspective?

3) What actually defines "success" for me (you) in terms of college football and the bigger overall picture?

4) Is there a longer term inevitability that will make most of the current realignment issues obsolete?

I'll make a second post later on with my thoughts on these questions, and what I'd like to happen.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

I would love Oregon, USC, UCLA, And Washington. B10 west division. 

I agree. Also add Colorado and Kansas. Natural rivals for Nebraska. Have east west divisions and it’s as close to the old Pac10 Big Ten meeting in the Rose Bowl days from years past as it can be. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Wonder if there is any truth to the USC rumblings.

I am sure there is some smoke there, as with other Power-5 programs.  Now how much of it is knee-jerk reaction/rumor is anybody's guess.  But I got to admit a coast to coast conference is intriguing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

I would love Oregon, USC, UCLA, And Washington. B10 west division. 

Yeah, I think that is almost what you have to do at this point.   The SEC is going to push hard for the Florida ACC schools.  It is going to be a race to 20 teams.  The SEC is picking up a bunch of good football programs but they are keeping themselves a regional conference.  The Big Ten's play is as I mentioned earlier is to get 6 teams (mainly from the Pac 12 and 1 or 2 from what is left of the Big 12) and then create a Big 10 East and a Big Ten West.  You compete with the SEC by being a national brand while they are a regional brand.

You could have the Big Ten tournaments and football championships from LA to New York and everywhere in between.  And being nakedly selfish, Indianapolis still looks like a really good centralish location for those types of events as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, I think that is almost what you have to do at this point.   The SEC is going to push hard for the Florida ACC schools.  It is going to be a race to 20 teams.  The SEC is picking up a bunch of good football programs but they are keeping themselves a regional conference.  The Big Ten's play is as I mentioned earlier is to get 6 teams (mainly from the Pac 12 and 1 or 2 from what is left of the Big 12) and then create a Big 10 East and a Big Ten West.  You compete with the SEC by being a national brand while they are a regional brand.

You could have the Big Ten tournaments and football championships from LA to New York and everywhere in between.  And being nakedly selfish, Indianapolis still looks like a really good centralish location for those types of events as well.

Big Ten West:

UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, (1 more team from Big 12/Pac 12)

Big Ten East:

Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn St., Michigan St, Maryland, Rutgers

Those are pretty evenly matched and would make for some good matchups and potential championship games.

You could even break those down into subdivisions.  Like the Big Ten East could have 2 divisions of 5 (Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan) and you could do something where one year Big East Div A plays all the teams in their division and then all the teams in West Division B.  So say Colorado was that last team for the West.  IU would play all the teams in their subdivision (4 games) and then play all the teams in the West "Pacific" division (UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, Colorado) for a total of 9 games.  Then you have the top teams in each division square off for a chance to play for the Big Chapionship.

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Big Ten West:

UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, (1 more team from Big 12/Pac 12)

Big Ten East:

Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn St., Michigan St, Maryland, Rutgers

Those are pretty evenly matched and would make for some good matchups and potential championship games.

You could even break those down into subdivisions.  Like the Big Ten East could have 2 divisions of 5 (Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan) and you could do something where one year Big East Div A plays all the teams in their division and then all the teams in West Division B.  So say Colorado was that last team for the West.  IU would play all the teams in their subdivision (4 games) and then play all the teams in the West "Pacific" division (UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, Colorado) for a total of 9 games.  Then you have the top teams in each division square off for a chance to play for the Big Chapionship.

I think we should pick up Stanford - there is an academic component here and Stanford brings MIT level Academics with a solid all around sports program. 

It is always good to be associated with a school like Stanford.

4 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I think we should pick up Stanford - there is an academic component here and Stanford brings MIT level Academics with a solid all around sports program. 

It is always good to be associated with a school like Stanford.

If we break up the PAC 12, I think there is a case to be made for several schools depending on what the goal is.  The Phoenix TV market that an Arizona might bring could look attractive.

20 hours ago, rico said:

Merging the Big 12 and Pac 10 would not be good for the B1G. Getting KS starts to blow this up a bit. Seems like the Pac 10 may not be as receptive to a merger with the B1G which realistically leaves only 1 option- take their best teams and let the leftovers merge with the Big 12.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If we break up the PAC 12, I think there is a case to be made for several schools depending on what the goal is.  The Phoenix TV market that an Arizona might bring could look attractive.

I'd actually rather get ASU. I know they are not AAU and AZ is but I see ASU eventually passing up AZ.

41 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'd actually rather get ASU. I know they are not AAU and AZ is but I see ASU eventually passing up AZ.

We won't take a non AAU school. ASU academics don't align with the B1G and the more and more I've read the more I believe 100% they won't make an exception for anyone but ND. Honestly all the B1G needs to do is steal a couple of top schools like the SEC did and everyone else will scramble and fall in line. If we land say USC and UCLA....that would probably be enough to convince Washington and Arizona to come along. I don't know about Stanford as they kind of feel like a regional school and an exception to the case in that their athletics take back seat to their academics and they have recently already cut budgets and programs...but why wouldn't they as they are an AAU member as well. IMO the PAC12 is like a 3 legged table. You pull out a couple power schools like USC/UCLA....the LA media market and hub for Fox/ESPN etc and then you end up with a table with only two legs to stand on (NW/SW) and the rest domino to us (Washington, Oregon, Arizona etc). It would be take vision, leadership, and some brass balls but if they can pull USC/UCLA out....we will have our pick of the rest.

54 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I live in Phoenix and I almost never hear about college sports. When I do, it's usually ASU and not UA. I have an uncle who has lived in Tucson for decades and he says that even when UA was really good people there don't really care much. 

It's good to expand into new markets and I'd personally love if ASU or even UA were to join the B1G so IU would occasionally travel here for me to watch, but don't think that there is a huge fan base for UA. Both teams are on TV here, though.

• Like 1