Conference Realignment

34 minutes ago, rico said:

Football is some serious business in Texas, let me tell ya.  LOL  It does remind me when Notre Dame lined up with the ACC.  I asked my "Irish" friend, "So playing Wake Forest is better than playing Michigan?"

The whole south is nuts over football.  Rabid fan bases like ours and Kentucky for basketball 

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Last I saw, IU had slipped out of the top 5 into the 6-10 range.

I bet if random people around the country were asked about the top 5 basketball programs, IU wouldn't make the top 5. Kentucky, Duke, and UNC probably would with a bunch of other teams fighting it out for the last 2 spots. IU would get mentioned but would probably be beat out by schools like Kansas, MSU, Gonzaga, and Louisville who have all been better over the last 20 years than IU.

IU still has lots of loyal fans and that helps bring in money. But the brand has fallen nationally and there's been evidence of apathy setting in over the last 4 years within the fanbase. 

Compare the current state versus what it would be if they had been able to continue winning at the rate Knight won his first 20 years. 1 championship every 6 years or so. Or even just once per decade. Where would the brand be then? IU would be mentioned with Kentucky, Duke, and UNC, that's where. 

So the players do affect the brand. It's just not a quick change. What we've seen is a gradual erosion to the brand. 

I thought we were talking about value? The last time I checked IU was the 3rd most valuable college basketball program in the country (behind UK and Louisville), and that is during probably its worst 25 year run in terms of on-court performance. 

So even without winning much, the program has maintained its value. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I thought we were talking about value? The last time I checked IU was the 3rd most valuable college basketball program in the country (behind UK and Louisville), and that is during probably its worst 25 year run in terms of on-court performance. 

So even without winning much, the program has maintained its value. 

And I thought we were talking about conference realignment?  The thread title says that.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Football is some serious business in Texas, let me tell ya.  LOL  It does remind me when Notre Dame lined up with the ACC.  I asked my "Irish" friend, "So playing Wake Forest is better than playing Michigan?"

Right now?  Probably better competition. 😂

19 hours ago, rico said:

I am still trying to wrap my mind around that SMU and Sparty love part...

I got my MBA at SMU and I literally live across the street from the campus.  I can throw fruit from my front yard and hit SMU players on their practice field.

As for Michigan State, I spent 5 years of my childhood in East Lansing during the Kirk Gibson and Magic Johnson era.  I can still taste the hot chocolate and not feel my toes.

As for TCU and Texas A&M, both of my sisters went to TCU and a majority of the rest of family are Aggies.  It's just easier not to root against them.  Plus I have to root for somebody to upset the order of things in the SEC, and outside of Vanderbilt, the Aggies are the least offensive option.

16 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

This is one of the best things I've seen in a while. Cracks me up! 😂

She reminds me of Molly Shannon.. and you can bet she didn't need anyone to tell her the record and setup the passive aggressive slight.

It's no exaggeration that people (all people) around here follow their flavor of college and high school football in the same way most people in Indiana feel about basketball.  The difference is it's WAY more fragmented here than in Indiana.  There is no such thing as the "Texas TV Market".  There's about 10 of them.

We're also a rather politically corrupt state, and you can bet that if this committee had a path to punishing UT they'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Not liking this... 

https://sports.yahoo.com/pac-20-conference-expanded-pac-202012545.html

The B1G not showing any vision and leadership here. I fear will get left behind. If you have the PAC20 and a super SEC, it won't be long until OSU does leave for greener pastures. 

What is Warren doing? 

The B1G is in a great position here, they can almost pick and choose whoever they want so if Warren and the leaders of the conference screw this up they need to be fired. 👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rico said:

When was the last time Mizzou won anything?

Sounds like the Toiletmakers, if we are talking about anything important nationally. Turdue has B1G championships so they get the edge there. They have two National Championship in a team sport if you count the Helms trophy. 

Edited by Hoosier51

22 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Sounds like the Toiletmakers, if we are talking about anything important nationally. Turdue has B1G championships so they get the edge there. They have two National Championship in a team sport if you count the Helms trophy. 

All I know about Mizzou is that Norm Stewart won a lot of basketball games and Steve Stipanovich(sp?) played for him