Conference Realignment

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Regardless, I think if the B1G, ACC, and Pac-12 stand pat, they'll regret it down the road. The SEC has no qualms about playing beneath the table. Never have...

This is what it boils down to. If the B1G stays how they are they will regret it. Chances are the SEC isn't done adding teams so the BIG needs to staring looking around, which i would assume they are. Adding teams like USC and Oregon would help boost the conference brand, and lets face the facts that is the main driving force anymore. Also if the reports are true about an alliance between the three it almost forces ND to join a conference, so you would potentially be adding games against them and Clemson.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Then why would Texas and OU move to the SEC? You're gonna get a "loaded schedule" whether you want it or not. UT and OU were the two big fish in a big pond. What would entice them to move? And I don't think losing ground to A&M had anything to do with it. There's enough money and recruits in this state for both...easily...

They'd both have a much easier road to the football playoffs in the Big 12, no? 

Regardless, I think if the B1G, ACC, and Pac-12 stand pat, they'll regret it down the road. The SEC has no qualms about playing beneath the table. Never have...

$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is what it boils down to. If the B1G stays how they are they will regret it. Chances are the SEC isn't done adding teams so the BIG needs to staring looking around, which i would assume they are. Adding teams like USC and Oregon would help boost the conference brand, and lets face the facts that is the main driving force anymore. Also if the reports are true about an alliance between the three it almost forces ND to join a conference, so you would potentially be adding games against them and Clemson.

I just can't get with adding USC or any west coast team.  I know football is king but you have 25 other sports to worry about as. well.  I know I am d school but conferences should be a regional thing that sets up rivalries.  I don't like it with 14 teams because in football you can go 4 years without playing certain teams in your conference.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I know I am d school but conferences should be a regional thing that sets up rivalries.  I don't like it with 14 teams because in football you can go 4 years without playing certain teams in your conference.

While i am with you on wishing conferences would stay a regional thing, it's just not important anymore, all you have to do is look at West Virgina being in the Big 12 or Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G. Plus some of the new matchups would be nice. It would be good to see IU play a team like USC and beat them or playing Florida State and helping our recruiting even more in Florida.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Understood, but new rivalries can always be made...

Living in Kentucky and now in Florida….there is no way those schools give up their rivalries….no freaking way. Those are hugely profitable games for the schools and the tv markets. Not to mention the communities on top of just the pressure from alumni. It ain’t going away!

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Living in Kentucky and now in Florida….there is no way those schools give up their rivalries….no freaking way. Those are hugely profitable games for the schools and the tv markets. Not to mention the communities on top of just the pressure from alumni. It ain’t going away!

Tell that to Texas/Texas A&M, Arkansas/Texas, Oklahoma/Nebraska, not to mention Indiana/Kentucky and Maryland/UNC in basketball...

Look, I have no idea how this will wind up, but the last time we had a seismic shift in conference membership, it was rivalries be damned...

Money will rule the day...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Tell that to Texas/Texas A&M, Arkansas/Texas, Oklahoma/Nebraska, not to mention Indiana/Kentucky and Maryland/UNC in basketball...

Look, I have no idea how this will wind up, but the last time we had a seismic shift in conference membership, it was rivalries be damned...

Money will rule the day...

Your not getting what I’m saying. Money is why they won’t do away the games. They aren’t in the same conference but those games bring in money that can’t be matched by playing a B1G game. FSU is not giving up UF. This isn’t IU vs UK basketball…this is the biggest game of the year in the state and on their schedules.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Your not getting what I’m saying. Money is why they won’t do away the games. They aren’t in the same conference but those games bring in money that can’t be matched by playing a B1G game. FSU is not giving up UF. This isn’t IU vs UK basketball…this is the biggest game of the year in the state and on their schedules.

No, I get what you're saying...what I'm saying is that the promise of more money would soothe any hurt feelings over ending a rivalry...

Oklahoma-Nebraska use to be one of the biggest rivalries in college football...now they haven't played since 2010 after Nebraska bolted for the B1G... 

If Florida and FSU aren't in the same conference now, what would stop them from meeting in a non-conference game if FSU bolted for the B1G?

The promise of more money overall is going to trump proceeds gained from one game...

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

No, I get what you're saying...what I'm saying is that the promise of more money would soothe any hurt feelings over ending a rivalry...

Oklahoma-Nebraska use to be one of the biggest rivalries in college football...now they haven't played since 2010 after Nebraska bolted for the B1G... 

If Florida and FSU aren't in the same conference now, what would stop them from meeting in a non-conference game if FSU bolted for the B1G?

The promise of more money overall is going to trump proceeds gained from one game...

What I’m saying is what I read is the agreement is for B1G, Pac12, and ACC to freeze out the SEC and no longer schedule them out of conference. It would prove unprofitable to schedule non conference with B1G compared to their rivals….they wouldn’t be getting more money like Nebraska got for leaving the Big 12 and joining the B1G and it’s lucrative revenue sharing.

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What I’m saying is what I read is the agreement is for B1G, Pac12, and ACC to freeze out the SEC and no longer schedule them out of conference. It would prove unprofitable to schedule non conference with B1G compared to their rivals….they wouldn’t be getting more money like Nebraska got for leaving the Big 12 and joining the B1G and it’s lucrative revenue sharing.

I'm not sure that's the case...you're saying an FSU-Ohio St matchup wouldn't generate the same TV ratings a Uof F-FSU matchup would? There are a few B1G schools that have sizeable football fan bases...rivalries are nice, but they aren't etched in stone...

I lived in Florida for some time in the 80's and all of the 90's...For Florida fans, it always seemed the Georgia game "between the hedges" at "the world's biggest cocktail party" was more of a rivalry than FSU was, Spurrier's "free shoes university" comments aside...and Miami was always a bigger rival than Florida to the Seminole fans...

If there is an alliance formed between the B1G, ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12, I'm sure a new TV contract would be forthcoming...

The argument that the SEC has used all along is that their strength of schedule has been superior because the conference has been so dominant. They used that as an excuse to play such weak out of conference opponents.

If this proposed alliance happens, the other conferences can then make a legitimate argument that their schedules are equally or more challenging. They also provide much more attractive inter-conference matchups and by shunning any games v the SEC, viewership numbers, ie $$$ starts moving towards the alliance and away from the SEC

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The argument that the SEC has used all along is that their strength of schedule has been superior because the conference has been so dominant. They used that as an excuse to play such weak out of conference opponents.

If this proposed alliance happens, the other conferences can then make a legitimate argument that their schedules are equally or more challenging. They also provide much more attractive inter-conference matchups and by shunning any games v the SEC, viewership numbers, ie $$$ starts moving towards the alliance and away from the SEC

The SEC would run the risk of being a regional conference only.  The othe conferences would be playing games all over the country while the SEC is stuck in the south.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The SEC would run the risk of being a regional conference only.  The othe conferences would be playing games all over the country while the SEC is stuck in the south.

Balknanize college sports.  Let the SEC do their thing and everyone else form a new governing organization.

NCAA can have the SEC and they can segregate themselves.  

• Like 1

Kinda related, but getting tired of hearing people gloat on how much the south is better at this and that. Watch alot of food shows and people from the south proclaim their biscuits and gravy and fried chicken are so much better because of where they were born. 

Well, I can do it better, and they lost the war they started when P.G.T Beauregard fired cannons on a U.S. Fort.

What country would give up their property because someone says so. 

We are probably worse off but the North won the war of Southern aggression.😁

See how that doublespeak works.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Kinda related, but getting tired of hearing people gloat on how much the south is better at this and that. Watch alot of food shows and people from the south proclaim their biscuits and gravy and fried chicken are so much better because of where they were born. 

Well, I can do it better, and they lost the war they started when P.G.T Beauregard fired cannons on a U.S. Fort.

What country would give up their property because someone says so. 

We are probably worse off but the North won the war of Southern aggression.😁

See how that doublespeak works.

Stick to the topic, damned Yankee!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What's their excuse for only playing 8 conference games?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

If he is crying about it then it definitely is a good thing for those three to do something together.👍 

Might be a start. I still think the B1G should be aggressive to look at expansion going forward but this would make the SEC more a regional brand. If we are rotating two out of conference games 1 in the PAC 12 and one ACC each year would be cool. Then our conference games plus money makers. Be cool.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Might be a start. I still think the B1G should be aggressive to look at expansion going forward but this would make the SEC more a regional brand. If we are rotating two out of conference games 1 in the PAC 12 and one ACC each year would be cool. Then our conference games plus money makers. Be cool.

Yeah i think you are right, if this move does happen it makes the SEC  more a regional brand in the south. The Alliance would cover from coast to coast. This would help the Hoosiers in my opinion, IU football is on the rise but still kind of an unknown in parts of the country, so people getting to watch them play Oregon or Miami occasionally could only help recruiting.

As far as basketball goes all IU has to do is starting winning since they are a national brand.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1