Conference Realignment

If this alliance does form and holds strong, it could really hurt the SEC. Not only would they become an isolated regional conference,  they would be diluted with a spoiled tyrannical school in Texas, and Oklahoma that will find out 8-4 isn't that fun.  The national television money most likely would not be what ESPN originally thought.  Institutional payments would be much smaller than expected.  Let's hope this actually happens.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

So it looks like the alliance wouldn’t poach each other. Would they divide up the remains of the Big XII or leave them to rot?  I know the scheduling is for football, but I wonder if there would be a basketball component as well beyond the B1G/ACC challenge. 

I could eventually see schools like Kansas, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Baylor joining one of the three conferences. The rest would probably end up in the AAC or Mountain West.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32061095/penn-state-ad-says-big-ten-more-money-mind-exploring-alliance-pac-12-acc

B1G so righteous 🤣🤣🤣

Weak out of conference? Bama plays Miami week 1 and UGA plays Clemson. 

Week 2- Arkansas plays Texas

Week 3- Auburn plays Penn St 

Week 13- So Carolina plays Clemson 

Plus UF plays FSU.. which obviously they're down right now, but FSU is still an upper echelon program. 

Edited by btownqb

On 8/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, Reacher said:

The alliance it is...

Not sure how much teeth it will have. Is the alliance going to stop an ACC team from moving to the SEC? I think the administrators chickened out on a bold move and played it safe. 

I think the Pac 10 and ACC benefit from this more than we do.

Clemson and Ohio State weigh in...

image.png.af7a005f84206fb733fdf2c79b1c6395.png

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d add the closer you come to playing your entire conference you get a better sense of a true conference champion…because of more common opponents.

Bingo. One more conference game versus playing the likes of Mcneese, Mercer, Austin Peay or the like.  It's not the ONE quality non-con the SEC plays(every conference does),  it's the fourth absolute joke they should be penalized for when other conferences play another conference game. That's the true argument. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The BTN selling Indiana vs. Northwestern or Illinois as opposed to Indiana vs. a MAC school.

That makes a lot of sense! 

SEC didn't view it that way. Most of them play a marginally marquee game in non conf I would say per year. I think they all play at least one team out of conference per year that is P5 plus playing in the best conference. 

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That makes a lot of sense! 

SEC didn't view it that way. Most of them play a marginally marquee game in non conf I would say per year. I think they all play at least one team out of conference per year that is P5 plus playing in the best conference. 

Sorry, I question the best conference comment. My SEC friends were going off about how awesome the SEC is and I reminded them that with few exceptions, SEC teams can’t beat Alabama either. I think their butt cheeks tightened up. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Sorry, I question the best conference comment. My SEC friends were going off about how awesome the SEC is and I reminded them that with few exceptions, SEC teams can’t beat Alabama either. I think their butt cheeks tightened up. 😂

Truth! There's a reason they chant S-E-C and not their individual schools. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So who's better

27 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Unfortunately, the SEC has won 11 of the last 15 National Championships. Six by Bama, but enough other schools have won it to substantiate the claim. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unfortunately, the SEC has won 11 of the last 15 National Championships. Six by Bama, but enough other schools have won it to substantiate the claim. 

I know I was just having fun with them!  But they know the real reason is the SEC knows how to thumb their nose at the NCAA better than anyone. They complain even their teams can’t compete with Alabama when it comes to recruiting. Will be interesting to see if NIL significantly changes things!

11 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I know I was just having fun with them!  But they know the real reason is the SEC knows how to thumb their nose at the NCAA better than anyone. They complain even their teams can’t compete with Alabama when it comes to recruiting. Will be interesting to see if NIL significantly changes things!

Nothing will change. All the NIL will do is yes add more legitimate means of compensation for players but possibly bring above table the money that was already going to many of the highest level recruits. I think the only difference will be how this effects peoples tax returns (write offs and earnings). The money has always been going around...so we will just go from paper bags to direct deposits. I think all of us that have lived in the south are plenty aware of this.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

If we didn't play 9 conference games, then we would be playing west teams once every 6 years.  Once every 12 for a home game.

That explains 'Bama in the SEC to a tee.  They play Tennessee every year in their crossover game.

5 hours ago, rico said:

That explains 'Bama in the SEC to a tee.  They play Tennessee every year in their crossover game.

Tennessee being very weak has definitely helped during Bama's historic run. A Tennessee team capable of competing for the East title, combined with a 9th conference game would make the sledding much harder.   Trade Florida or Georgia for a game with Mercer and tell me it doesn't make a difference on resting players and preparing for bigger games.

20 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Tennessee being very weak has definitely helped during Bama's historic run. A Tennessee team capable of competing for the East title, combined with a 9th conference game would make the sledding much harder.   Trade Florida or Georgia for a game with Mercer and tell me it doesn't make a difference on resting players and preparing for bigger games.

I'm not saying who they play isn't tough enough (honestly even if they lose a game they often deserve to be in the playoff system which is why I agree in expanding it)....but Bama always has a cupcake game scheduled the week before the Auburn game....always.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, iuswingman said:

If we didn't play 9 conference games, then we would be playing west teams once every 6 years.  Once every 12 for a home game.

This is another great point...and honestly some teams draw a bigger crowd then others. Having a team like Michigan on the schedule would be a bigger draw to your school then say W Michigan....it also raises your marketing value of your tv contract. For sure ratings would be much much higher for a cross divisional B1G game then a MAC conference opponent etc. I'm sure everyone tunes in for Alabama games but if they are playing Georgia as opposed to Georgia St....no doubt in my mind the ratings would be higher and they could command bigger $$$. Having 9 conference games just brings in more revenue in general and helps with competitive balance.

Edited by dgambill

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm not saying who they play isn't tough enough (honestly even if they lose a game they often deserve to be in the playoff system which is why I agree in expanding it)....but Bama always has a cupcake game scheduled the week before the Auburn game....always.

True. And their bye week usually falls before LSU or another pivotal game. Once again, Bama has been the dominant team in college football since Saban arrived, but the SEC knows how to protect their prized product. 

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/08/24/big-ten-pac-12-acc-announce-conference-alliance

The alliance is official.  The SEC may have made a strategic blunder in blowing up the Big 12.  I still think we will see the remaining Big 12 schools get divided up so Iowa St. and Kansas looking like the most likely to the BIG?  West Virginia to the ACC?  Pac 12 adds a few schools to get to 16?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1