Conference Realignment

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I truly believe that BYU is a major get and UCF will not disappoint.

I think that was as good as they could do under the circumstances. BYU is a major get. UCF out of Orlando area is a major market. Houston helps the conference try to stay relevant in South Texas and those media dollars. UC out of Ohio. I mean not bad for the recruiting trail to have teams in Ohio market, Fl market, S Texas, and out west with BYU. Not sure what else they could have done....just keep the competition level high and hope people tune in to see good teams play. Even with what is left that is a conference that can still battle it out with just about any team in the PAC 12 or ACC (except Clemson). 

I know this is all football driven, but is Houston/BYU/Cincinnati/UCF >, <, or = OU/Texas in basketball?  Houston has the most recent final four of the bunch.  Texas under Beard is set up to be a national power for years to come.  I don't think that any of the new four could attain where I think Beard will take Texas, but I think three of the four could equal what OU would bring given time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I know this is all football driven, but is Houston/BYU/Cincinnati/UCF >, <, or = OU/Texas in basketball?  Houston has the most recent final four of the bunch.  Texas under Beard is set up to be a national power for years to come.  I don't think that any of the new four could attain where I think Beard will take Texas, but I think three of the four could equal what OU would bring given time.  

Well, Beard with Texas has no place to go but up.  Of course you are speculating that Beard will attain greatness?  And FWIW, the Sooners have more FF appearances than do the 'Horns.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think >. Cincinnati brings multiple national championships. Houston the recent final 4 and phi slamma jamma.

I think Beard will be great at Texas, but I have been around long enough to not start counting his national championships until they happen.

It's not like Houston's coach is a slouch either.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Friend, and co-worker who is a BYU alum..."Won the Holy War game, and the Big 12 news. Great week for Cougars' fans, and probably in that order."

Ya know I was listening to a sports head the other day and he said BYU could cause some trouble for the CFP this year.  He further went on to say that the Cougars will finish the year ranked above Texas and possibly Oklahoma.  And that BYU will bring instant relevance to the Big 12 conference.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, rico said:

Ya know I was listening to a sports head the other day and he said BYU could cause some trouble for the CFP this year.  He further went on to say that the Cougars will finish the year ranked above Texas and possibly Oklahoma.  And that BYU will bring instant relevance to the Big 12 conference.

I think so as well. They've won what....15 games in a row?? That's a good program. Sure they aren't playing in the SEC or B1G but they've beaten some really good teams over the past couple years.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think so as well. They've won what....15 games in a row?? That's a good program. Sure they aren't playing in the SEC or B1G but they've beaten some really good teams over the past couple years.

I think it would be funny as hell if BYU becomes a frequenter to the CFP after joining the Big 12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Gotta be about revenue shares. I can't believe you would leave a conference if you typically dominate it and got the tournament. MVC might be a two bid league last year but that isn't always the case. About half the time since the tournament expanded has the MVC sent more than 1 team...and that was mostly during their hay day with powerhouses like Witchita St and Creighton. Those major programs gone I just wonder the chances of being only about 50/50 they will send more than one team...especially if the conference champ also wins the tournament. Maybe stepping up will give them a shot but man when you are going to NCAA better than 50% in your current conference you have to wonder.

As for USI moving up to Div 1 and OVC...hard to say. I would imagine they would want a football program to be included. We will see. I'd love it to happen for my Eagles and for Evansville but not sure a non-football program would be attractive to add.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

OVC would seem like they would have to pillage other schools to survive.  

Need to re-brand.  The name Ohio Valley would, on the surface, limit the number of schools who would be interested.  A name like Atlantic Sun has more broad appeal.  Look at Bellarmine.  Smack in the middle of OVC country, but decided to associate with the ASUN instead when they jumped to D-1.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Need to re-brand.  The name Ohio Valley would, on the surface, limit the number of schools who would be interested.  A name like Atlantic Sun has more broad appeal.  Look at Bellarmine.  Smack in the middle of OVC country, but decided to associate with the ASUN instead when they jumped to D-1.

Missouri Valley...Ohio Valley.  I don't see the re-branding concept.  But I always wondered why the OVC didn't call themselves the TVAC...that be Tennessee Valley Authority Conference.

• Haha 1