Conference Realignment

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes. Just because he said he doesn't see UM and OSU going anywhere doesn't mean I believe him if the B1G falls into second conference status to the SEC and sees their revenues drop in the future.....$$ talks...and if OSU and Michigan's bottom line starts to feel it due to the SEC dominating college football...you don't think they will jump ship?

Christ, the article talked about the B1G going after USC...geez.

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

Christ, the article talked about the B1G going after USC...geez.

Where did it quote Warren saying he was going after USC? It didn't. It's all speculative like we are all doing. All we've heard so far is KU has reached out to the B1G and possibly ISU. Nothing that the B1G is prepared to make any overtures towards any PAC10 schools. If Warren is as timid with his leadership as he was with handling COVID I'll say I see little chances we would pull off such a coup as pulling several PAC10 schools and us expanding past adding a couple marginal Big 12 schools. Meaning we basically do nothing proactive. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the B1G was to look long term at our security and success. Given how flat footed we've been caught with UT and OKL....I'm not optimistic. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Where did it quote Warren saying he was going after USC? It didn't. It's all speculative like we are all doing. All we've heard so far is KU has reached out to the B1G and possibly ISU. Nothing that the B1G is prepared to make any overtures towards any PAC10 schools. If Warren is as timid with his leadership as he was with handling COVID I'll say I see little chances we would pull off such a coup as pulling several PAC10 schools and us expanding past adding a couple marginal Big 12 schools. Meaning we basically do nothing proactive. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the B1G was to look long term at our security and success. Given how flat footed we've been caught with UT and OKL....I'm not optimistic. 

Pretty negative huh?  Understood and btw it is the the Pac-12.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Pretty negative huh?  Understood and btw it is the the Pac-12.  

Yes...I've not been happy with the leadership at the top of the B1G lately. So perhaps I just come down not as optimistic as some. You are correct...it's no longer the PAC 10....how much longer it will be called the PAC 12 is yet to be seen lol....seems it will be changing again soon! 😄

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

ARTICLE: 

https://247sports.com/Article/Conference-realignment-Big-Ten-only-interested-in-adding-AAU-schools-Texas-Longhorns-Oklahoma-Sooners-SEC-168288689/

AAU Members: 

Public
Georgia Institute of Technology (2010) Indiana University (1909)
Iowa State University (1958)
Michigan State University (1964)
The Ohio State University (1916)
The Pennsylvania State University (1958)
Purdue University (1958)
Rutgers University – New Brunswick (1989)
Stony Brook University – The State University of New York (2001) Texas A&M University (2001)
University at Buffalo – The State University of New York (1989) The University of Arizona (1985)
University of California, Davis (1996)
University of California, Berkeley (1900)
University of California, Irvine (1996)
University of California, Los Angeles (1974)
University of California, San Diego (1982)
University of California, Santa Barbara (1995)
University of California, Santa Cruz (2019)
University of Colorado, Boulder (1966)
University of Florida (1985)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1908)
The University of Iowa (1909)
The University of Kansas (1909)
University of Maryland at College Park (1969)
University of Michigan (1900)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (1908)
University of Missouri, Columbia (1908)
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922)
University of Oregon (1969)
University of Pittsburgh (1974)
The University of Texas at Austin (1929)
The University of Utah (2019)
University of Virginia (1904)
University of Washington (1950)
The University of Wisconsin – Madison (1900)
AAU Member Universities

Private
Boston University (2012)
Brandeis University (1985)
Brown University (1933)
California Institute of Technology (1934) Carnegie Mellon University (1982)
Case Western Reserve University (1969) Columbia University (1900)
Cornell University (1900)
Dartmouth College (2019)
Duke University (1938)
Emory University (1995)
Harvard University (1900)
The Johns Hopkins University (1900) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1934) New York University (1950)
Northwestern University (1917) Princeton University (1900) Rice University (1985)
Stanford University (1900) Tulane University (1958)
The University of Chicago (1900) University of Pennsylvania (1900) University of Rochester (1941) University of Southern California (1969) Vanderbilt University (1950)
Washington University in St. Louis (1923) Yale University (1900)
Canadian
McGill University (1926) University of Toronto (1926)

Am I overlooking Indiana University on that list?

Just now, 5fouls said:

On my phone it is listed on the same line as Georgia Tech.  Literally the only school that was formatted that way.  My left hand column reads Georgia Tech followed by Iowa State.

I know...I had to take a second look too!! I showed a bunch like that lol

You all might not believe this, but it just goes to show how out of touch with reality SEC fans are! I go to lunch most every day with a Huge Georgia fan and a Huge Auburn fan. So my jaw pretty much hit the table when I asked them what they thought about Texas, Oklahoma and they had no clue! I guess when it’s not football season they tune out all sports!

If AAU and national exposure is the priority I merge with a majority of PAC 12…forming a 24 team super conference with a B1G East and West division of 12 teams. Add Colorado, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. Add Kansas for basketball and save 1 spot for Notre Dame….one time last time deal to join. Go big or go home. I just don’t see what just adding ISU and KU does for the overall revenue of the league except make the payouts lower for everyone when we now have to divide the proceeds by two more handouts. At least going out West would add significant revenue.

• Like 2

If the B1G is going to dig their heels in for AAU accreditation the pickings are pretty slim on teams that are realistic, and that moves the football needle. The SEC adding Texas and Oklahoma while the B1G adds teams like Georgia Tech or Pitt would be pretty underwhelming. 

If they could pull in a couple of Blue Bloods in basketball at least they would have that going for them.

1 hour ago, GaloisGroupe said:

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2021/7/26/22593575/conference-realignment-talk-heats-up-throughout-fbs-sec-big-12-big-ten-texas-oklahoma

Not sure if it was posted, but this is a pretty reasonable compilation of a lot of the topics above...

Part of this read goes with what @dgambillstated above.  Poaching the Pac-12 would make "cutting edge" sense.  And I like it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Getting USC and UCLA would be big from a market perspective. 

Yes, and there are more markets to poach from the PAC 12.  Phoenix is one of the largest markets in the country.  Grab Arizona.  A&M is leary of Texas being in the SEC, poach them to add Texas.  Then with those last 2 spots you look at Oregon, Washington, Kansas, Ga. Tech, and Notre Dame and see who you can get to fill them.

Then you have a Big Ten East and a Big Ten West.  Having 2 divisions of 10 that play each other mostly but face off in Championships yearly would be a good way to keep things somewhat normal.  Adding Kansas and Iowa St. doesn't do much of anything.  Poaching the Pac 12 and A&M would make the Big Ten a truly national conference while the SEC is regional.  And with 2 10 team divisions, you could still keep the divisions fairly regional (at least in the case of the east which Indiana would be solidly in).

Is this the way I want to see things go?  No.  But it is happening and I want the BIG to be positioned as well as possible because that is what is best for IU.

• Like 3

Given the AAU restriction, what I would do is just add every AAU school from a power 5 willing to come (you're welcome Iowa State...) into a single blanket (THE BIG) and then create regional subconferences that more or less recreate some of the great conferences of the past (PAC, Big Ten...)

Taking Iowa State would be charity to make it seem more noble of a venture than it is...

To be nice, help the remnants of the old PAC-12 and Big 12 combine...

When I first heard about USC/UCLA/Oregon/Colorado wanting to join the Big 10 I pretty much said cool....but no way this happens. Spoke with my uncle who lives near Seattle and is diehard Oregon fan. He said the PAC has been so void of leadership in their conference they would beg to be in a conference like the Big 10 that generates $50M per team per year just from BTN.

I have no clue how this would impact all other sports but doing nothing would absolutely not be the right thing to do in the Big 10 eyes. Imagine UCLA twice a year in hoops? Playing in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl every other year? Fine by me. Better than Evanston or Champaign for that matter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Getting USC and UCLA would be big from a market perspective. 

Yes and no. Los Angeles and SoCal in general is much better known as either a pro-sports town, or an apathetic town. Witness all the empty basketball seats in Pauley Pavilion the pre-covid. For sheer numbers, I agree with you, but as far as how many of those people actually would tune into a UCLA-Maryland football game, that's debatable.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

When I first heard about USC/UCLA/Oregon/Colorado wanting to join the Big 10 I pretty much said cool....but no way this happens. Spoke with my uncle who lives near Seattle and is diehard Oregon fan. He said the PAC has been so void of leadership in their conference they would beg to be in a conference like the Big 10 that generates $50M per team per year just from BTN.

I have no clue how this would impact all other sports but doing nothing would absolutely not be the right thing to do in the Big 10 eyes. Imagine UCLA twice a year in hoops? Playing in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl every other year? Fine by me. Better than Evanston or Champaign for that matter.

The new PAC12 commish is George Kliavkoff.  He's formerly the president of entertainment and sports for MGM International.  Before that he worked for MLB Advanced Media, Hulu, and others. Check him out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes and no. Los Angeles and SoCal in general is much better known as either a pro-sports town, or an apathetic town. Witness all the empty basketball seats in Pauley Pavilion the pre-covid. For sheer numbers, I agree with you, but as far as how many of those people actually would tune into a UCLA-Maryland football game, that's debatable.

Oregon and Washington are the huge revenue generating teams in the PAC-12 with USC,UCLA, Stanford, Colorado closely behind (AAU). Arizona St is up there but not an AAU school. Any deal to poach from the PAC-12 would at minimum include UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon imo...and likely Stanford....and give ND first rights to join before a final spot be given to one of Colorado, Iowa St, and Kansas.

I know people want the Georgia market but I think one of the serious things holding back Georgia Tech is that they have serious debt issues with their athletics. They owe quite a bit of money and perhaps that might make the B1G nervous...and no matter what GT is always going to be in the shadows of Georgia football. I have a hard time seeing any ACC team coming on board...even ND is unlikely...but just perhaps with a bold move in adding their football rivals in Stanford and USC and of course with UM in the conference already...just might make the most sense...even if joining the ACC would be a much easier path to the football playoffs.

• Like 1