Conference Realignment

On 4/13/2019 at 1:39 PM, rico said:

I guess I don't understand what you mean?

Texas OWNS the Big 12 and will expect to own any conference they step into. The Big Ten would never cater to their demands and ego, nor should they, and Texas would know that. Texas makes more money for themselves and has about a bigger budget than the entire rest of the Big 12 combined I’ve heard. I’ve also heard they don’t even divide up the ratings evenly in the conference from their TV network because texas demands a MUCH larger chunk than anyone and they’ll get it because if they did their own dang TV NETWORK, they could make money and it would kill the Big 12’s network.

texas is a Beast

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Texas OWNS the Big 12 and will expect to own any conference they step into. The Big Ten would never cater to their demands and ego, nor should they, and Texas would know that. Texas makes more money for themselves and has about a bigger budget than the entire rest of the Big 12 combined I’ve heard. I’ve also heard they don’t even divide up the ratings evenly in the conference from their TV network because texas demands a MUCH larger chunk than anyone and they’ll get it because if they did their own dang TV NETWORK, they could make money and it would kill the Big 12’s network.

texas is a Beast

I get all that, but Texas can't hold that conference together all by their little lonesome.  As we have seen.

Someone on a previous message board had a long post that was very enlightening about how the Big Ten is a research based university conference (if I remember) and they won’t just add and subtract teams based solely on athletics. The person explained the depth of all of this but that it’s never going to come down to just “that team is good at sports so let’s add them to The Big.” There are academic standards and philosophy standards that might not ever be budged upon.

I’m sure someone else can fill that info gap in A lot better than I can. But I remember learning a ton from that poster’s posts.

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Someone on a previous message board had a long post that was very enlightening about how the Big Ten is a research based university conference (if I remember) and they won’t just add and subtract teams based solely on athletics. The person explained the depth of all of this but that it’s never going to come down to just “that team is good at sports so let’s add them to The Big.” There are academic standards and philosophy standards that might not ever be budged upon.

I’m sure someone else can fill that info gap in A lot better than I can. But I remember learning a ton from that poster’s posts.

That is to do with the AAU membership.

Just market make up,  to be able to grab a Texas school, or a Georgia, Oklahoma, or Carolina, even a  Florida would get a huge area.  Iirc Georgia Tech was thought of as a candidate previously.  

Now I wonder about Texas Tech?  Sure UT is the monster but Tech or Baylor would still get the market, like Rutgers.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Just market make up,  to be able to grab a Texas school, or a Georgia, Oklahoma, or Carolina, even a  Florida would get a huge area.  Iirc Georgia Tech was thought of as a candidate previously.  

Now I wonder about Texas Tech?  Sure UT is the monster but Tech or Baylor would still get the market, like Rutgers.  

A dated article....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/it-may-be-time-for-the-big-ten-sec-to-poach-the-big-12-again/

Here's a wacky suggestion: merge the AAC and B12. 

"American 12 Conference"
East West
Central Florida Baylor
Cincinnati Houston
Connecticut Kansas
East Carolina Kansas State
Iowa State Oklahoma
Memphis Oklahoma State
South Florida SMU
Temple Texas
Tulane Texas Tech
Tulsa TCU
West Virginia New Mexico State/BYU (Football Only)
  Wichita State (Basketball Only)
Edited by Zlinedavid

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Here's a wacky suggestion: merge the AAC and B12. 

"American 12 Conference"
East West
Central Florida Baylor
Cincinnati Houston
Connecticut Kansas
East Carolina Kansas State
Iowa State Oklahoma
Memphis Oklahoma State
South Florida SMU
Temple Texas
Tulane Texas Tech
Tulsa TCU
West Virginia New Mexico State/BYU (Football Only)
  Wichita State (Basketball Only)

New Mexico St. and BYU?  

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Either or.  The AAC and B10 combined have 21 football playing members.  Wichita State makes 22 for most major sports other than football, so to keep things balanced, absorb a current FBS Independent for football only. 

Wichita St. should just join the Big East.  But I am with ya...if the Big 12 is to expand it will probably come from the AAC.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Wichita St. should just join the Big East.  But I am with ya...if the Big 12 is to expand it will probably come from the AAC. 

Size and athletics fit, and they'd be a geographic rival for Creighton, but it'd be a matter if the Big East wanted to admit a public school into a conference of 10 private schools. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Either or.  The AAC and B10 combined have 21 football playing members.  Wichita State makes 22 for most major sports other than football, so to keep things balanced, absorb a current FBS Independent for football only. 

NO thank you, 14 is to many but we are stuck with that amount of teams

43 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Size and athletics fit, and they'd be a geographic rival for Creighton, but it'd be a matter if the Big East wanted to admit a public school into a conference of 10 private schools. 

Well I do believe they already have associate members that fit that bill?

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

NO thank you, 14 is to many but we are stuck with that amount of teams

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Once again, you are hanging onto the past.  C'mon Scott, look to the future.

If you think about it, it's more or less just two 11 team conferences united under one banner.  The West is more traditional B12/B8/SWC, and the East is remnants of the old Big East/Metro Conference. 

31 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If you think about it, it's more or less just two 11 team conferences united under one banner.  The West is more traditional B12/B8/SWC, and the East is remnants of the old Big East/Metro Conference. 

If I am the Big 12 I am expanding before the Pac 12 does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Once again, you are hanging onto the past.  C'mon Scott, look to the future.

Not hanging on to the past what so ever but wanting what is best for the sport and having 20 team conferences is not the best for any sport.  Being part of a conference is about being part of a group who is competing for a championship and playing all the teams in that conference.  If you split a conference up by two 10 teams sides then you are totally eliminating what it means in being part of a conference.

Why does everyone think that all changes in sports are for the better because a lot of them to me has hindered the sport rather than improving it.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, rico said:

When did that ever happen in the B1G in football?  

When there was 10 teams.  We have played Nebraska one time since they have been in the big ten so it is not like we are in the same conference.  The only reason for it is money and not for the better of the sport and that is what I care about.  Just like in pro sports when all sports started expanding in the early 90's sand to me it watered down those sports.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When there was 10 teams.  We have played Nebraska one time since they have been in the big ten so it is not like we are in the same conference.  The only reason for it is money and not for the better of the sport and that is what I care about.  Just like in pro sports when all sports started expanding in the early 90's sand to me it watered down those sports.

Oh no, we never played every team in the Big 10 in one season in my lifetime and I am older than you.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You do realize, Scott, that all that extra money has translated into better facilities, weight rooms, more to spend on better coaches. I would argue that those things, fueled by the money you mention, have helped draw a higher quality athlete to IU. Slowly and hopefully surely, that will result in a better team on the field 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Oh no, we never played every team in the Big 10 in one season in my lifetime and I am older than you.

Well if we didn't then they played 8 out of the other 9 teams and that would be better than if you played 9 out of 20 teams. My point is that conference expansion is not good for the actual product on the field and the only reason for it is money.  Also I care more about how all of this effects basketball and right now we have 6 teams we only play once and if you expand that would make it more teams you don't play twice.