Jump to content

Conference Realignment


rico
 Share

Recommended Posts

My first opinion is this is just Texas and Oklahoma trying to get a bigger piece of the B1G12 pie. Renegotiating. After what we see with the playoff expansion what more would it benefit them to move conferences and risk missing out on the playoffs for a little more guaranteed money? I think this is more a leverage deal than anything but no doubt the SEC probably has some more lucrative deals then B1G12...that said I could see those two trying to leverage a bigger cut in their own conference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

But what is the point?  Rutgers has absolutely no fan base whatsoever.   Yes, I know several people who attended Rutgers.

5 year attendance average for football as reported in 2019 (obviously you can't include 2020)

Attendance is based on the average per game over the last five seasons, followed up by % capacity, followed by last year’s ranking.

0 Oregon State 37168.00 86.13% 58
59 Northwestern 37300.60 79.15% 60
58 Virginia 40327.40 65.57% 55
57 East Carolina 40361.60 80.72% 52
56 Illinois 40823.00 67.29% 54
55 Maryland 40834.80 78.83% 56
54 Purdue 41246.40 72.06% 59
53 Pitt 42706.40 62.44% 49
52 Indiana 42783.20 80.83% 53
51 Colorado 43328.20 86.34% 57

50 Rutgers 44141.40 84.15% 45
49 California 44505.40 71.25% 42
48 TCU 44720.40 99.38% 50
47 Baylor 44774.80 99.19% 51
46 Minnesota 45261.40 89.09% 46

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/07/college-football-attendance-rankings-no-1-130-2019-cfn-five-year-program-analysis

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in a foul mood today, so I apologize in advance if my tone comes across harsh.  But, the whole Rutgers bashing thing by IU and/or Big Ten fans is just stupid.  It's a reflex reaction by those not willing to take the time to understand why Rutgers was invited into the Big Ten in the first place. 

The Big Ten was forced to expand because other conferences were doing it.  Sure they could have reached out to Kansas and Iowa State instead of Maryland and Rutgers, but what would have been the point in that?  That would have been expansion for the sake of expansion, but would not have moved the financial needle one bit.  In fact, it may have moved it in the wrong direction. 

Meanwhile, like it or not, but Rutgers has been a better basketball program than IU the last 3 years.  Can we really make fun of their lack of athletic success?  

Our fan base has a set of 1970's/1980's blinders on thinking our basketball success during that time makes us a more important player in the national landscape than we really are.  We need to embrace the changes.  Kansas is going to find out first-hand that a strong basketball program is close to meaningless on the national landscape.  UCONN already found that out and had to do a reset.

    

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm in a foul mood today, so I apologize in advance if my tone comes across harsh.  But, the whole Rutgers bashing thing by IU and/or Big Ten fans is just stupid.  It's a reflex reaction by those not willing to take the time to understand why Rutgers was invited into the Big Ten in the first place. 

The Big Ten was forced to expand because other conferences were doing it.  Sure they could have reached out to Kansas and Iowa State instead of Maryland and Rutgers, but what would have been the point in that?  That would have been expansion for the sake of expansion, but would not have moved the financial needle one bit.  In fact, it may have moved it in the wrong direction. 

Meanwhile, like it or not, but Rutgers has been a better basketball program than IU the last 3 years.  Can we really make fun of their lack of athletic success?  

Our fan base has a set of 1970's/1980's blinders on thinking our basketball success during that time makes us a more important player in the national landscape than we really are.  We need to embrace the changes.  Kansas is going to find out first-hand that a strong basketball program is close to meaningless on the national landscape.  UCONN already found that out and had to do a reset.

    

 

Good post and spot on.

BTW there was another undefeated team in the 1976 FF.....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Lure Kentucky and Tennessee out of the SEC... Kentucky because then Calapari would have to play us, and Tennessee because I'd like to see @rico conflicted 😉

LOL.  Neither will happen.  Or will it?  Vandy I could see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know what Texas and Oklahoma true motives are here. Texas can't win the in the Big 12 in football so I don't what they are thinking they could do in the SEC. Oklahoma has an easy path year in and out to F4 in football. Makes zero sense to jump unless this is either a negotiating tactic to extract more $ from Big 12.

If the Big 12 is going do this though....Warren would be a fool not to phone Kansas and ask them about joining. 

I read somewhere that SEC needs 11 of 14 members to say yes. Interesting twist is this. Texas A&M joined the SEC because they wanted to be the only SEC school in the state so you know they'll be voting no. Could be an interesting vote if Kentucky (Louisville), Georgia (Georgia Tech), and South Carolina (Clemson) if these 3 schools say no dice as well because they want to be the only SEC school in their respective states. 

Food for thought. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, rico said:

Good post and spot on.

BTW there was another undefeated team in the 1976 FF.....

I first started following IU basketball as a kid during the '74-'75 season and was really into in the next season.  I'm sure I heard and knew it at the time, but the Rutgers team being undefeated entering the tournament had completely exited my memory.

So 1976 was the last year the NCAA had an undefeated national champ AND two undefeated teams in the FF.  Pretty neat!  Thanks for that reminder.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife knows people that are heavily connected with UK & Vandy (take it fwiw).  SEC might be looking to get to 20 teams, Texas and Oklahoma is just the start.  Look for them to try and raid the ACC if this all goes down.  Only conferences not in a panic atm is SEC (obviously), Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big East.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know what Texas and Oklahoma true motives are here. Texas can't win the in the Big 12 in football so I don't what they are thinking they could do in the SEC. Oklahoma has an easy path year in and out to F4 in football. Makes zero sense to jump unless this is either a negotiating tactic to extract more $ from Big 12.

If the Big 12 is going do this though....Warren would be a fool not to phone Kansas and ask them about joining. 

I read somewhere that SEC needs 11 of 14 members to say yes. Interesting twist is this. Texas A&M joined the SEC because they wanted to be the only SEC school in the state so you know they'll be voting no. Could be an interesting vote if Kentucky (Louisville), Georgia (Georgia Tech), and South Carolina (Clemson) if these 3 schools say no dice as well because they want to be the only SEC school in their respective states. 

Food for thought. 

There is no Big 12 conference network. Texas has had their own network, but not sure how profitable that has been. With the millions of dollars that the SEC network pays their members each year, and the horrendous covid related losses from last year, I could see why they might want to jump ship.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know what Texas and Oklahoma true motives are here. Texas can't win the in the Big 12 in football so I don't what they are thinking they could do in the SEC. Oklahoma has an easy path year in and out to F4 in football. Makes zero sense to jump unless this is either a negotiating tactic to extract more $ from Big 12.

If the Big 12 is going do this though....Warren would be a fool not to phone Kansas and ask them about joining. 

I read somewhere that SEC needs 11 of 14 members to say yes. Interesting twist is this. Texas A&M joined the SEC because they wanted to be the only SEC school in the state so you know they'll be voting no. Could be an interesting vote if Kentucky (Louisville), Georgia (Georgia Tech), and South Carolina (Clemson) if these 3 schools say no dice as well because they want to be the only SEC school in their respective states. 

Food for thought. 

Yep..if Texas A&M wants to be in their own conference then makes sense for B1G to offer them a home. They are a better geographical for SEC but at this point that stuff doesn’t seem to matter. $$$ talks. I’d look for B1G to possibly approach them and Kansas…with fall back being KSU and Iowa St. I do know state politics will likely get involved in Texas and Oklahoma before all this goes down though. Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, OKS aren’t going to sit back and take it without involving political influence.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

My wife knows people that are heavily connected with UK & Vandy (take it fwiw).  SEC might be looking to get to 20 teams, Texas and Oklahoma is just the start.  Look for them to try and raid the ACC if this all goes down.  Only conferences not in a panic atm is SEC (obviously), Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big East.

I have been following the speculation on conference realignment for awhile now.  Most theorized that at the end of all of it there would be 4 "super conferences" with 16 teams.  There were a scant few that said 4 conferences with 20 teams each.  But all seemed to agree that the Big 12 would dissolve.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep..if Texas A&M wants to be in their own conference then makes sense for B1G to offer them a home. They are a better geographical for SEC but at this point that stuff doesn’t seem to matter. $$$ talks. I’d look for B1G to possibly approach them and Kansas…with fall back being KSU and Iowa St. I do know state politics will likely get involved in Texas and Oklahoma before all this goes down though. Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, OKS aren’t going to sit back and take it without involving political influence.

I don't think Kansas can leave without K-State.  Seems that is in their state legislature or something.  At least that was the case a few years back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yep..if Texas A&M wants to be in their own conference then makes sense for B1G to offer them a home. They are a better geographical for SEC but at this point that stuff doesn’t seem to matter. $$$ talks. I’d look for B1G to possibly approach them and Kansas…with fall back being KSU and Iowa St. I do know state politics will likely get involved in Texas and Oklahoma before all this goes down though. Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, OKS aren’t going to sit back and take it without involving political influence.

At least someone is reading our board from the Big 10 office. Kansas is setting up a call to speak with Big 10. Expect Iowa St to join in too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

At least someone is reading our board from the Big 10 office. Kansas is setting up a call to speak with Big 10. Expect Iowa St to join in too.

Ugh, not Iowa State. Grab UNC or Virginia. Now were talking. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Ugh, not Iowa State. Grab UNC or Virginia. Now were talking. 

ACC is locked up tight. Perhaps W Virginia but I don’t know that would help much with tv viewership and revenue. Would balance geographically. But this is about tv $$. Kansas brings in that Kansas City market but I would think the BIG would love to get in the Dallas market….not sure TCU helps with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...