A tradition unlike any other....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't know who I would rank as the best ever between the two, but I would say during his best stretch, Tiger was the most dominant golfer of all time.

Grew up watching Arnie and then Jack, have to agree just like you and Jack, when Tiger was on top of his game it was magical!

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Grew up watching Arnie and then Jack, have to agree just like you and Jack, when Tiger was on top of his game it was magical!

When I was young you were either an Arnie, Jack or Lee Trevino fan. I was always a Nicklaus fan. When Tiger burst onto the golf scene decades later it was great. I loved the guy. Tiger is a great golfer. I can't imagine anyone going through what he has.

Did I mention that Ben Hogan was the greatest golfer ever? Don't get me started...

1 minute ago, Officer Obie said:

When I was young you were either an Arnie, Jack or Lee Trevino fan. I was always a Nicklaus fan. When Tiger burst onto the golf scene decades later it was great. I loved the guy. Tiger is a great golfer. I can't imagine anyone going through what he has.

Did I mention that Ben Hogan was the greatest golfer ever? Don't get me started...

He didn't reach the heights of others but I always and will love Lee Trevino!   Ben Hogan is a smutch, just kidding!

6 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

The guy that gets overlooked in that era was Gary Player. Excellent golfer, and still a great ambassador for the game. Not to mention, he is in amazing shape now, at his age.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The guy that gets overlooked in that era was Gary Player. Excellent golfer, and still a great ambassador for the game. Not to mention, he is in amazing shape now, at his age.

Since we are talking about some of the BEST of ALL time, I'm just going to let this one go! Was a Gary fan, but!!

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

A golfer that often gets overlooked is me.  Once shot a 29.......over 18 holes.  And, a darn tough putt-putt course it was.  

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A golfer that often gets overlooked is me.  Once shot a 29.......over 18 holes.  And, a darn tough putt-putt course it was.  

Once shot a 24 for 9, my bosses boss sat on my desk the next day and asked. "do you know what I would have to shoot in order to score a 24!" I just smiled and said yeah a 25! He carried a 1 handicap for 9 , and I carried an 18 handicap while shooting an actual 42!

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure what you mean. He won 8 majors...more than Trevino who was mentioned in this thread. 

No doubt, but he just did not inspire the next generation of golfers like others mentioned. Like I said I was a fan of Gary, just not like some of the others mentioned. Trevino, while not reaching the same heights was still an inspiration, and always entertaining, something Gary never was!

Sometimes, it's not what you do, but what you inspire!

42 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

No doubt, but he just did not inspire the next generation of golfers like others mentioned. Like I said I was a fan of Gary, just not like some of the others mentioned. Trevino, while not reaching the same heights was still an inspiration, and always entertaining, something Gary never was!

Sometimes, it's not what you do, but what you inspire!

Just not sure I can agree with you here.

Different world. Different times.

Gary Player represented a country that at the time, was embroiled in apartheid. He faced quite a bit of venom while playing in the US, kind of a guilt by association reaction from people who couldn't look at the individual instead of where he came from. Player was very outspoken against apartheid when he was given the opportunity to speak publicly.

Maybe here in the US he didn't have much influence on future generations but, starting with Ernie Els, I feel confident that he impacted the youth from the RSA . On today's leaderboard alone, that country was well represented and will continue to be so, imo.

I mentioned Trevino because he went on a tear in the early 70's and was a great ambassador to the game.

I am also a big fan of Gary Player. A wonderful man and also a great ambassador. Gary Player may be my 2nd favorite golfer all time.

Of course Ben Hogan was the greatest so don't go there.

240px-All_Black.jpg

For those of who are life long Tiger fans it's simply an unreal day. I started following him when he was 13 and got an exemption to a tournament in Illinois (now called John Deere Classic...but used to be Hardees/QC Classic). Today was a level of fandom and emotion that honestly wore me out. This win and vindication is close to the Cubs World Series title for me. You don't even have to be a Tiger fan....just a fan of come back stories. The guy couldn't walk 16 months ago....now he just beat everyone on the grandest stage in sports. I don't even care about 18 anymore. Just this one. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

I just get the feeling Tiger has a lot left in his tank.

I do, too. But the young guys have mind-boggling talent. Today, Tiger stayed cool, played pretty good golf, and let the youngsters fall apart. I'd be surprised if it happened again.

But it seemed like a different Tiger this week--downright likable--not the jerk I remember from years ago.

Wish I woulda put down 85K on him.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For those of who are life long Tiger fans it's simply an unreal day. I started following him when he was 13 and got an exemption to a tournament in Illinois (now called John Deere Classic...but used to be Hardees/QC Classic). Today was a level of fandom and emotion that honestly wore me out. This win and vindication is close to the Cubs World Series title for me. You don't even have to be a Tiger fan....just a fan of come back stories. The guy couldn't walk 16 months ago....now he just beat everyone on the grandest stage in sports. I don't even care about 18 anymore. Just this one. 

I started following Tiger when he was two.  I actually saw this when it was first broadcast.

Tiger Woods At 2 Years Old 

Archived