A tradition unlike any other....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Congrats to Tiger. Not sure he can get to 18 but it's cool to watch him try.

Little known that in addition to winning 18 majors, Nicklaus finished 2nd 19 times. That's amazing.

So many fun stats to break down when talking on the two. The greatest stat that most don't often talk about is missed cuts. Tiger had a stretch of 142 where he didn't miss the cut. I think he's missed 18 in his career. Nicklaus missed the cut 79 times. 

The Tiger from the late 90s/early 00s is gone. Even Tiger today couldn't sniff that level. What we saw then was the equivalent of a brand new boot, shined to full parade gloss. Over time, that boot went through the mud. Probably will never get to that shine ever again. There's a few dings and scratches that no amount of polish will ever take away. But there's also now a burnished patina to it. Not new and shiny, but just as beautiful.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

So many fun stats to break down when talking on the two. The greatest stat that most don't often talk about is missed cuts. Tiger had a stretch of 142 where he didn't miss the cut. I think he's missed 18 in his career. Nicklaus missed the cut 79 times. 

I look to the field each competed against.  Nicklaus had Palmer, Player.... Woods had Vijay and Mickelson or Rory?  No sure who all to name for each off the top of my head.  Either way, for me, it's a discussion for a different day.  Tiger competing against all of the Tiger clones who have workout regimens and dieticians.  This wasn't something you heard of 25 years ago.  Between that sort of impact on the game and the comeback story.... It's a special day in sports and golf.

36 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nothing like coming down from the excitement of Tiger winning and the beauty of Augusta in the Spring. Wake up this morning to find the ground covered with snow!

Not going to stick around, but still the last thing that I wanted to see this morning.

No worries.....will be close to 70 tomorrow.

46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nothing like coming down from the excitement of Tiger winning and the beauty of Augusta in the Spring. Wake up this morning to find the ground covered with snow!

Not going to stick around, but still the last thing that I wanted to see this morning.

I hear ya. Last week, we had a day where the temp hit 80.  And the very next day got hit, with, yet another blizzard.  Second blizzard this late Spring where the access interstates in and out of Denver were closed, and the National Guard was called in to help stranded motorists.  Can't say it is all bad.  My tulips are loving it. 

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One take on the Nicklaus/Woods debate

Granted, that was before yesterday.

12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

The Tiger from the late 90s/early 00s is gone. Even Tiger today couldn't sniff that level. What we saw then was the equivalent of a brand new boot, shined to full parade gloss. Over time, that boot went through the mud. Probably will never get to that shine ever again. There's a few dings and scratches that no amount of polish will ever take away. But there's also now a burnished patina to it. Not new and shiny, but just as beautiful.

Never fear! Underdog is here! 😀

Edit*  I've tried but can't seem to post a picture of shoeshine boy, Underdog's mild mannered alter ego. It's not nearly as funny when I describe it. Lol.

I should probably be banned for a month or two for bad humor poorly executed.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:33 PM, Zlinedavid said:

He can't boom the ball out of the park like he used to (his long game is no longer ever top 40, from #1), but his putting / green game is outstanding. He has changed his game with the back issues and is again one of if not the best in the game. Amazing stuff, really.

On 4/14/2019 at 4:44 PM, Seeking6 said:

For those of who are life long Tiger fans it's simply an unreal day. I started following him when he was 13 and got an exemption to a tournament in Illinois (now called John Deere Classic...but used to be Hardees/QC Classic). Today was a level of fandom and emotion that honestly wore me out. This win and vindication is close to the Cubs World Series title for me. You don't even have to be a Tiger fan....just a fan of come back stories. The guy couldn't walk 16 months ago....now he just beat everyone on the grandest stage in sports. I don't even care about 18 anymore. Just this one. 

Nice post man.

I remember sitting in a doc's office one day and picking up a sports illustrated from the stack just to pass the time. There was a little, one-paragraph blurb about this young kid who the author  said may be the next greatest golfer ever. It was a short write-up on Tiger dominating the youth game and how he was on a path to dominating the professional game. That author nailed it. I'm not even much of a golf fan, but have always been a fan of Tiger's, and was thrilled to see him come back and prove all the doubters wrong.

33 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Nice post man.

I remember sitting in a doc's office one day and picking up a sports illustrated from the stack just to pass the time. There was a little, one-paragraph blurb about this young kid who the author  said may be the next greatest golfer ever. It was a short write-up on Tiger dominating the youth game and how he was on a path to dominating the professional game. That author nailed it. I'm not even much of a golf fan, but have always been a fan of Tiger's, and was thrilled to see him come back and prove all the doubters wrong.

Growing up near Chicago we went to this tournament I mentioned each year. I remember him playing with Miller Barber on pro/am day. Him striping it past him on each hole. Hooked that very day to world of Tiger. After Sunday just secured tickets to Medinah for BMW Championship this August near Chicago as well. Can't miss an opportunity to see the man up close at this level of golf again. Just hoping he has a few good years left but either way....I'm good now with whatever happens. 

Archived