How long does it take to learn a new system?

Edit:  this post contains some errors made by me, which kind readers have politely pointed out.  I've left them in. 

Here's the OP without changes:

I've read on several of our threads that it takes a new coach a long time to install a new style of play.  Perhaps years.  Get new players, hope you get the right players, have those new right players learn and execute, then maybe get a bit lucky.  The younger the players, the harder it is.

I know that every example has a counter-example.  One case does not equal proof.  I get that.  I bring this for discussion only. 

Knight's Final Four team in his second year.

The IU coach before Bob Knight was 4 - 17.  Then Knight took over.  Young team.  Lots of freshman. 

Year one:  17 - 8.

Year two:  22 - 6.  Final Four.  Lost to Bill Walton's UCLA powerhouse by 11 points, while UCLA went on to win the championship by 21.  IU beat Kentucky earlier in the tournament.  Then IU dropped 97 points on Providence to win 3rd place (they played for 3rd place back then).  Before the shot clock or 3-point basket.  Still a young team.

Year three:  23 - 5.

Year four:  31 - 1.

Year five:  32 - 0.

As I said, an example is not proof.  For every Bob Knight, there may be 10 other coaches that support the "it takes years" theory.  I hope this thread (if it becomes a thread 😀) doesn't devolve into lobbing but-what-abouts at each other.

Just politely bringing this for discussion, if anyone wants to chime in.

It touches on topics of patience, building a team, recruiting, expectations, growth, progress - just about everything.

Still, 97 points on Providence to finish #3 in the NCAA tournament, by a defense-oriented Bob Knight team who had just installed a brand new system to unproven players.  The man could coach.

Its a totally different era and type of kids.  When Coach Knight took over it was documented IU was looking for someone that would have discipline and he was able to take some athletes and have them play more fundamental.  Those kids went through boot camp and took it.  

This IU team has to many players that are not skilled and they want a different role than the coach wants for him.  How can I say this?  Smith's dads comments gives me that evidence.  Furthermore, this was not a good roster.  Should IU of won 3-4 more games this year even with the injuries?  Yes; however, I do think the future is bright.

It can take some time learning the ropes. I remember when I turned 21 and I went to my first night club. After a couple of drinks a older woman who was average looking tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around, she smiled and winked and said "you're coming home with me, young man'. I froze. All I could manage was a 'yes maam'. 

So that was the night I also lost my virginity. But that's another story altogether.....

After a couple more weekends clubbing, I got the hang of it.

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

I've read on several of our threads that it takes a new coach a long time to install a new style of play.  Perhaps years.  Get new players, hope you get the right players, have those new right players learn and execute, then maybe get a bit lucky.  The younger the players, the harder it is.

I know that every example has a counter-example.  One case does not equal proof.  I get that.  I bring this for discussion only. 

The IU coach before Bob Knight was 4 - 17.  Then Knight took over.  Young team.  Lots of freshman. 

Year two:  22 - 6.  Final Four.  Lost to Bill Walton's UCLA powerhouse by 11 points, while UCLA went on to win the championship by 21.  IU beat Kentucky earlier in the tournament.  Then IU dropped 97 points on Providence to win 3rd place (they played for 3rd place back then).  Before the shot clock or 3-point basket.  Still a young team.

As I said, an example is not proof.  For every Bob Knight, there may be 10 other coaches that support the "it takes years" theory.  I hope this thread (if it becomes a thread 😀) doesn't devolve into lobbing but-what-abouts at each other.

It touches on topics of patience, building a team, recruiting, expectations, growth, progress - just about everything.

Still, 97 points on Providence to finish #3 in the NCAA tournament, by a defense-oriented Bob Knight team who had just installed a brand new system to unproven players.  The man could coach.

Except you are completely wrong about what Knight took over.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970–71_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_team

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Sorry, but you're mistaken.  Watson's last team went 17-7, not 4-17.  Knight's first team had a number of veterans, including Steve Downing, Joby Wright, and John Ritter.  His first team actually had a slightly worse record at 17-8 than the previous year.  Of course, Watson's last team included a fellow named George McGinnis. 

37 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Sorry, but you're mistaken.  Watson's last team went 17-7, not 4-17.  Knight's first team had a number of veterans, including Steve Downing, Joby Wright, and John Ritter.  His first team actually had a slightly worse record at 17-8 than the previous year.  Of course, Watson's last team included a fellow named George McGinnis. 

Ha, you're correct, too.  I misread the Wiki entry which listed someone other than Watson as the coach immediately before Knight: 

Jerry Oliver 1969 - 1970, 1971  4 - 17

Confusing, but I was still wrong.

I think of it like a skilled trade - take carpentry/woodworking for example.

It doesn't take overly long to learn how to do something like cutting dovetails or miters, but it takes a lot longer to MASTER them and execute them flawlessly.

I think what we are seeing with the defense (and towards the end of the season, the offense) is that the team is close to the end of the learning stage, but patience is required while they learn to master it.

UVA is a good example...

12 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

It can take some time learning the ropes. I remember when I turned 21 and I went to my first night club. After a couple of drinks a older woman who was average looking tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around, she smiled and winked and said "you're coming home with me, young man'. I froze. All I could manage was a 'yes maam'. 

So that was the night I also lost my virginity. But that's another story altogether.....

After a couple more weekends clubbing, I got the hang of it.

If picking up cougars at clubs isn't already "getting the hang of it", I don't want to be right.

13 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Its a totally different era and type of kids.  When Coach Knight took over it was documented IU was looking for someone that would have discipline and he was able to take some athletes and have them play more fundamental.  Those kids went through boot camp and took it.  

This IU team has to many players that are not skilled and they want a different role than the coach wants for him.  How can I say this?  Smith's dads comments gives me that evidence.  Furthermore, this was not a good roster.  Should IU of won 3-4 more games this year even with the injuries?  Yes; however, I do think the future is bright.

I would also add that AAU programs weren't a big part of young players lives and there wasn't the enormous emphasis to become a professional basketball player by every kid who received a scholarship.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

I think of it like a skilled trade - take carpentry/woodworking for example.

It doesn't take overly long to learn how to do something like cutting dovetails or miters, but it takes a lot longer to MASTER them and execute them flawlessly.

I think what we are seeing with the defense (and towards the end of the season, the offense) is that the team is close to the end of the learning stage, but patience is required while they learn to master it.

UVA is a good example...

And you haven't mastered anything until you acknowledge that even if you've mastered it, you'll never be perfect (as the pile of 1/8" misaligned dado cuts from this weekend sitting in my garage will attest). 

Archived