Stevie Scott Big Year Two?

I like that he worked on his speed in the offseason.  I like hearing too about how hard he seems to be working this spring.  I see this year going one of two ways, barring injury.

1. Scott loses some carries due to the depth we have.  Gest, Walker, and James could all take some of his carries.  That would be a good problem to have.

2. Scott puts distance between himself and the rest of the field and gets more carries.  That would be a really good problem to have.

Is the depth in the backfield an embarassment of riches or just really good?  I hope Stevie has 100+ yards by halftime in all the precon games as the game has already been decided by then.  2nd half we get to see the parade of backs march over the opposition leading to the B1G opener.  Is it football season yet?

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I like that he worked on his speed in the offseason.  I like hearing too about how hard he seems to be working this spring.  I see this year going one of two ways, barring injury.

1. Scott loses some carries due to the depth we have.  Gest, Walker, and James could all take some of his carries.  That would be a good problem to have.

2. Scott puts distance between himself and the rest of the field and gets more carries.  That would be a really good problem to have.

Even if it is 2, I hope it is 1.  I am not a big fan of having your top guy get beat up on 40 touches when you have talent behind him.  Especially in the non-con I hope to see a pretty balanced workload.

I’m not a NE fan but I love how they’ve been using their backs the past few seasons.  They’ve kept at least three guys happy and heavily utilized them in many ways.  Straight ahead power runs, swing passes, kicking a back out as a boundary receiver, working a guy for swing passes, having him run slot routes, etc.   It goes to show you can get enough touches for guys.  They mix it up enough that you can’t predict it perfectly.  

For us, I hope some of these guys can emerge in the pass game, particularly Ronnie Walker and James.  I’d love to see Gest work in the slot some and get moved around with motion.  He’s sturdy and shifty and could give us toughness if he can work on his routes.  Imagine starting Whop in the slot with Gest and another back behind the quarterback.  You could start flexing Whop out to the boundary and moving Gest into the slot using motion while you have got Scott or James as the lone back in the backfield. You could still have a TE up by one of the tackles, depending on how you want to balance the alignment.  The amount of plays you could run out of that personnel is impressive.  I think Winters is going to be really good too and underrated.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not a NE fan but I love how they’ve been using their backs the past few seasons.  They’ve kept at least three guys happy and heavily utilized them in many ways.  Straight ahead power runs, swing passes, kicking a back out as a boundary receiver, working a guy for swing passes, having him run slot routes, etc.   It goes to show you can get enough touches for guys.  They mix it up enough that you can’t predict it perfectly.  

For us, I hope some of these guys can emerge in the pass game, particularly Ronnie Walker and James.  I’d love to see Gest work in the slot some and get moved around with motion.  He’s sturdy and shifty and could give us toughness if he can work on his routes.  Imagine starting Whop in the slot with Gest and another back behind the quarterback.  You could start flexing Whop out to the boundary and moving Gest into the slot using motion while you have got Scott or James as the lone back in the backfield. You could still have a TE up by one of the tackles, depending on how you want to balance the alignment.  The amount of plays you could run out of that personnel is impressive.  I think Winters is going to be really good too and underrated.  

Good stuff.  I couldn't be more enthusiastic about the skill position players on this offense.  I actually think the team is loaded with a lot of versatility and optionality there, and whoever wins the QB job will certainly be worthy.  The big question is whether the o-line can hold it all together.

Archived