OT IU Baseball 2019

Hoping the Mods will allow this to stay on this board for the duration of the season, then move it to other forum.

We are playing good baseball right now, having won 7 straight (including a 4 game sweep of top 45 RPI Evansville). 

Lineup is lethal top to bottom (especially when Fineman comes back). Richardson, Gorski, Lloyd, and Barr provide unbelievable pop as a group. Ashely, Dunham, and Bradley add depth and nice on base %s. Once Fineman is back and Kaletha is back, Fineman obviously moves to C everyday.... I think Dunham and Kaletha rotate in the last outfield spot (LK vs. lefties, and Dunham vs. the righties). 

You can't take Bradley out of the lineup right now... he's wayyy too hot. If he cools off.... LK in CF, GR in LF, and MG in RF.  Lloyd would play first and ED would DH. I know that Mercer likes Lloyd in the DH role thought, so he rested for the 9th if he has to pitch. 

Pitching wise: the starting pitching has been incredible for the past 3-4 weeks. Milto (1.98 era), Saalfrank (2.61 era), and Gordon (3.31 era) have all been very good recently. Tommy Sommer is back from injury (1.64 era in 22 innings pitched).... We have to continue to build depth in the bullpen. 

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hoping the Mods will allow this to stay on this board for the duration of the season, then move it to other forum.

We are playing good baseball right now, having won 7 straight (including a 4 game sweep of top 45 RPI Evansville). 

Lineup is lethal top to bottom (especially when Fineman comes back). Richardson, Gorski, Lloyd, and Barr provide unbelievable pop as a group. Ashely, Dunham, and Bradley add depth and nice on base %s. Once Fineman is back and Kaletha is back, Fineman obviously moves to C everyday.... I think Dunham and Kaletha rotate in the last outfield spot (LK vs. lefties, and Dunham vs. the righties). 

You can't take Bradley out of the lineup right now... he's wayyy too hot. If he cools off.... LK in CF, GR in LF, and MG in RF.  Lloyd would play first and ED would DH. I know that Mercer likes Lloyd in the DH role thought, so he rested for the 9th if he has to pitch. 

Pitching wise: the starting pitching has been incredible for the past 3-4 weeks. Milto (1.98 era), Saalfrank (2.61 era), and Gordon (3.31 era) have all been very good recently. Tommy Sommer is back from injury (1.64 era in 22 innings pitched).... We have to continue to build depth in the bullpen. 

Really glad they pulled out the win over Purdue. Even though it wasn't an official B1G game, it's always good to beat Purdue in any sport. Especially after giving up a big lead in a televised game.

23 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Really glad they pulled out the win over Purdue. Even though it wasn't an official B1G game, it's always good to beat Purdue in any sport. Especially after giving up a big lead in a televised game.

I mean Purdue is pretty terrible this year haha. They lost a lot from last year and have been pretty bad. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean Purdue is pretty terrible this year haha. They lost a lot from last year and have been pretty bad. 

Purdue's pitching is not terrible. 

42 minutes ago, rico said:

For what worth.. this is what I use http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/schedule/Indiana

This website updates after every game, so there is a "live" RPI. 

It's the off season, so I have no issues with an off topic thread occasionally appearing in the BB forum.

Just two reminders :

1) We have an off topic forum (The Animal House), which is a great place for HSN members to gather, during the slow season.

The Animal House - Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

2) Check the other sports forum as well.  Where the great Snowling does an unbelievable job keeping us informed on IU sports that are not FB or BB.

Other IU sports - Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Thanks for starting this thread bt.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It's the off season, so I have no issues with an off topic thread occasionally appearing in the BB forum.

Just two reminders L

1) We have an off topic forum (The Animal House), which is a great place for HSN members to get together on, during the slow season.

2) Check the other sports forum as well.  Where the great Snowden does an unbelievable job keeping us informed on IU sports that are not FB or BB.

Thanks for starting this thread bt.

Oh I post there all the time. And Snow is fantastic. 

I just am trying to drum up some convo on here. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh I post there all the time. And Snow is fantastic. 

I just am trying to drum up some convo on here. 

And it is appreciated this time of the year.  I was just attempting to let other members be more aware of our Off Topic Forum. Thanks for being a member, for so long. I think it is great to have members like you concerned enough about the well being of HSN to start a thread like this, at this time of year. 

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

What’s the timetable on Fineman and Kaletha?

That, unfortunately, I do not know. We need Fineman back bad. Cross competes for us, but Fineman is simply just better. Especially at the plate. 

Fineman has 5 HRs and 17 rbis batting .278 and was leading the team in doubles when he got hurt. 

I saw on another board that LK might be out for the year, but that is absolutely a rumor. (obviously it could be true though)

Also.. looking forward. 70% chance of rain on Friday in East Lansing, 50% on Saturday, 10% on Sunday. Not a good outlook obviously, but we will be busing to EL, so a pretty good chance to play one on Saturday and two on Sunday. (Believe we can do this). 

One other point... I pay for BTN+, and originally the game yesterday was schedule for 1pm, didn't start until 3pm because of the weather, so BTN didn't cover the game for whatever reason. Not overly happy about that. I understand there are unforeseen circumstances, but the game was done by 630, absolutely no reason the students couldn't broadcast it.  

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You guys started out really bad, but your team is coming on strong now.  I think you have a good coach.

There is a better stats site for the B1G as it carries not only RPI but keeps updated on each team's individual and team stats.

https://d1baseball.com/conference/big-ten-conference

RPI is very important in baseball.  After beating Evansville 4x, IU has moved up into the top 25 RPI.

Evansville is a good team, they were right behind us in RPI coming into the weekend series.  We were in the low 30's at that time.   Indiana State is also very good.  We beat them 14-13 in a shoot out at Bloomington.

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

You guys started out really bad, but your team is coming on strong now.  I think you have a good coach.

Yeah they started the year off playing really good teams in the South and struggled. They lost their two best players from last year who went pro early which has hurt the offense in a big way. 

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

A team ERA of nearly 5 isn’t great lol. 

Guys they threw against IU all had solid eras. You've seen enough baseball to understand mid week games in college can be wild. And in baseball the winning margain is irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

There is a better stats site for the B1G as it carries not only RPI but keeps updated on each team's individual and team stats.

RPI is very important in baseball.  After beating Evansville 4x, IU has moved up into the top 25 RPI.

Evansville is a good team, they were right behind us in RPI coming into the weekend series.  We were in the low 30's at that time.   Indiana State is also very good.  We beat them 14-13 in a shoot out at Bloomington.

*Terre Haute ;)

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

*Terre Haute ;)

I like that website too. 

Archived