OT IU Baseball 2019

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Hijackings rule. 

Okay...I fished Erie yesterday.  The wallys were still into the jig mode.  Easy catching.  Made it home in time to find a few more mushrooms.  Sorry to say I missed the IU game, but a guy does have his priorities.  Well, this guy anyway.  Beer was good.  The female company was fine.  No regrets on my end.

8 hours ago, rico said:

Okay...I fished Erie yesterday.  The wallys were still into the jig mode.  Easy catching.  Made it home in time to find a few more mushrooms.  Sorry to say I missed the IU game, but a guy does have his priorities.  Well, this guy anyway.  Beer was good.  The female company was fine.  No regrets on my end.

Noooooooo, not back to rico fishing stories. I just got over the PTSD from the last cycle!!!!!    Lol

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Saalfrank BT Pitcher of the Year

Mercer coach of the year

Saalfrank and Lloyd 1st team

Gorski, Bradley, and Barr 2nd team

Dunham 3rd team

Richardson All Big Ten FR team

All. Worthy of the honor. Though I would have moved Gorski to number one.  Why not ? 

And to think. We have a first year coach, named as the coach of the year ?  Wow... how great is that  ? 

And thanks Btown for the "intel"

Can't wait for the B1G tournament to start. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

All. Worthy of the honor. Though I would have moved Gorski to number one.  Why not ? 

And to think. We have a first year coach, named as the coach of the year ?  Wow... how great is that  ? 

And thanks Btown for the "intel"

Can't wait for the B1G tournament to start. 

Mercer was the first new coach to win the Big Ten conference title in 37 years. If he didn’t win it I’m not sure what it would take. 

Hes legit. His worst conference finish was 2nd in his first year coaching 

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Mercer was the first new coach to win the Big Ten conference title in 37 years. If he didn’t win it I’m not sure what it would take. 

Hes legit. His worst conference finish was 2nd in his first year coaching 

I was not aware of that. Thanks for the offering. 

I just hope we can keep him. Unlike the two who preceded him. 

38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

We keep throwing money at football claiming that it’s an investment to help generate more revenue  (this hasn’t happened yet). We need to consider taking a fraction of that money and giving it to baseball. 

Game is on BTN tonight 6pm. 65-70 degrees, clear night. Still think it's stupid these games are in Omaha. These should be at Victory Firld or Columbus heck.. even Detroit. 

Oh well. 

Good news, actually really good news... Cal Krueger is back. He has been out with arm soreness, I talked with Miltos dad at UI and he thought he'd be out for the year. He has a 92-94mph fastball and in his first two years hovered around a 3 ERA. Big time arm to bring back in our pen. He also has an immense amount of experience, he has started a regional game. He has pitched 13 innings of post season baseball including 2 innings vs. Texas in the regional final last year giving up 1H and no runs. Getting him back (assuming he's 100%) is HUGEEEEEE.

Went back and looked at the stats again... his first two seasons he threw 106 innings at a 3.18 ERA. Big time arm to have back. 

Basically in these double elimination tourneys (this weekend and next) pitching depth is a HUGE factor. As many quality arms as you can have is a big time plus. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I know he said when he was hired that IU was his dream job.  I believe his dad was an assistant when he was growing up and spent a lot of time around the program then.  It would be great to see him continue this success and stay a long, long time!

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And in my grandparents’ house, there were two things on the wall.  There was a crucifix and an autographed picture of Bobby Knight" Mercer said.

A) I've said it previously: Jeff Mercer gets it.

B) I'd prefer not to have the turnover, but it's actually a compliment to the program.  Smith left for Arizona State and Lemonis left for Mississippi State.  That's the baseball equivalent of having two consecutive football coaches leave for Texas and Ohio State.  But we've established ourselves as a strong program, now I'd like to see us take a step towards being Arizona State or Mississippi State instead of providing them coaches.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Game is on BTN tonight 6pm. 65-70 degrees, clear night. Still think it's stupid these games are in Omaha. These should be at Victory Firld or Columbus heck.. even Detroit. 

Oh well. 

I actually have a different perspective about the games being played Ameritrade in Omaha.  That's where the NCAA baseball world series will be played this year.  And for me, playing the B1G tournament allows our guys to familiarize themselves with the ball park, should they get to play in the NCAAT 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I actually have a different perspective about the games being played Ameritrade in Omaha.  That's where the NCAA baseball world series will be played this year.  And for me, playing the B1G tournament allows our guys to familiarize themselves with the ball park, should they get to play in the NCAAT 

Only thing about that stadium is that the ball does not carry there and it is a huge ballpark.  For teams like IU who rely on the homerun it might be a hard place to play.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

It's not centrally located even in the least bit. Indy would be perfect. 

Backing what I have said about having the B1G tournament in the same venue as the NCAAT. We have already seen in the first two games how not knowing the field has already impacted the games prior to IU's game.  I stand on my statement, that is good to familiarize the team with the venue, should they have the opportunity to return for the NCAAT.

And as far as the size of the field taking away from IU's HR capability. I give you this. From our B!G coach of the year:  He has never instructed his players to hit home runs. Rather to just put the ball into play. 

Archived