OT IU Baseball 2019

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, was this an underestimating your opponent kind of game where they wanted to save Saalfrank for what they thought would be a tougher opponent tomorrow?

Sounds like it but I'm not a day to day IU baseball fan. Tough part is this. If you play UIC do you go with the perceived lesser pitcher and save him for the next? Frustrating week or so here. Win the Big 10 and this. 

On 5/31/2019 at 5:41 PM, Seeking6 said:

Ok....so we play tomorrow at 11 I believe. We play loser of Louisville/UIC and if we do win that one what's the scenario to advance? 

We play Louisville tomorrow.  If we lose, we're out.  If we win, we play Illinois State again.  To advance we have to beat them twice.

It's better for IU to have to beat Louisville only once than twice especially at their home park.

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty bush league behavior by home ump to end the game. Kicks the Louisville pitcher out (mandatory suspension) and last pitch that ended game appeared to bounce which ended a rally by our Hoosiers. Bush league all the way around. 

What happened?

Although a disappointing end of the season.  Coach did give us a Big Ten regular season championship in his first year.  One step at a time.  A good start. I am very optimistic about what the future holds for IU's baseball program.  And I remember going to games as a student, when IU baseball was playing across the street from McNutt... with maybe a dozen fans showing up for most games. Now. We have a beautiful new stadium.  And fans even show up, even in inclement weather.  What's not to love about the future ?

UL clobbered Illinois St. Sunday evening, and they play again Monday morning with the winner advancing to the Super Regional.

UM lost to Creighton in a wild game, and they play again Monday morning with the winner advancing to the Super Regional.

Indiana State lost Sunday evening to Vanderbilt in the championship game with Vandy advancing to the Super Regional.

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Although a disappointing end of the season.  Coach did give us a Big Ten regular season championship in his first year.  One step at a time.  A good start. I am very optimistic about what the future holds for IU's baseball program.  And I remember going to games as a student, when IU baseball was playing across the street from McNutt... with maybe a dozen fans showing up for most games. Now. We have a beautiful new stadium.  And fans even show up, even in inclement weather.  What's not to love about the future ?

Always been a big baseball fan and besides hoops/football I was really anxious to check out IU baseball when I first arrived as a student in the early 90's. Couldn't believe what I saw in terms of field/facilities. I felt like my high school had better stuff. 

Regarding season. Pretty strong indicator that baseball program is once again on solid ground. Another new coach and another Big 10 Title, NCAA showing....would love to see these guys (and I think they will) take the next step. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Always been a big baseball fan and besides hoops/football I was really anxious to check out IU baseball when I first arrived as a student in the early 90's. Couldn't believe what I saw in terms of field/facilities. I felt like my high school had better stuff. 

In terms of baseball facilities.  And I have posted this in the past.  I graduated from IU in 1969.  Loved living in McNutt.  One of the newer quads on campus at the time. Would walk across the street to take in the baseball games.  And the first time was shocked by what I saw.  As back in NWI we had better Little League facilities.  Facilities so good that Little League held regional playoff games there, regularly.

Linked below is a story with pics of Sembower that our great friend TDH did back in 2018.   I can assure you, Sembower was no where as nice in 1969.  If memory serves correctly, there were no restroom facilities.  And the stands were no where as big.  Plus there was no soft ball field attached.

From Jordan to Sembower to The Bart, and the Evolution of a Program – The Daily Hoosier

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In terms of baseball facilities.  And I have posted this in the past.  I graduated from IU in 1969.  Loved living in McNutt.  One of the newer quads on campus at the time. Would walk across the street to take in the baseball games.  And the first time was shocked by what I saw.  As back in NWI we had better Little League facilities.  Facilities so good that Little League held regional playoff games there, regularly.

Liked below is a story with pics of Sembower that our great friend TDH did back in 2018.   I can assure you, Sembower was no where as nice in 1969.  If memory serves correctly, there were no restroom facilities.  And the stands were no where as big.  Plus there was no soft ball field attached.

From Jordan to Sembower to The Bart, and the Evolution of a Program – The Daily Hoosier

Thanks for linking that. Sometimes you think you remember things a certain way and it wasn't that way at all. I remember being able to walk up to the chain link fence right there by McNutt and Briscoe and just watch the game. Couldn't believe it actually. 

On a small note. I used to bump up again Bart Kaufman in Indy occasionally way back when. I'll tell you this. There were 2 or 3 life insurance kings in Indy. He's one of them. When I say work that guy worked. 30-40 appts per week for decades. Happy he's on our side when it comes to donors. 

Illinois St just tied up Louisville 3-3 in 9th inning. Reason why that call yesterday on last strike was heartbreaking. College baseball games are never over. On the flip side...Louisville fans have to be thinking if only they had a closer today to finish this one out after their ace was suspended. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Illinois St just tied up Louisville 3-3 in 9th inning. Reason why that call yesterday on last strike was heartbreaking. College baseball games are never over. On the flip side...Louisville fans have to be thinking if only they had a closer today to finish this one out after their ace was suspended. 

Louisville wins.

Archived