OT IU Baseball 2019

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

For sure? Barr said he is coming back. Where is Btown he is our baseball insider

I will post tomorrow on all updates. It's taken me this long to get over our weekend in Louisville. My apologies. 

Draft wise: 

Barr is back and I'll be shocked if Dunham won't be back. All others will be gone (Gordon, Saalfrank, Gorski, and Bradley)... the first 3 are simply too high of draft picks not to go pro. I was surprised Gordon went so high. We will be replacing every weekend starter, but I would say two of those three roles are already filled with Sommer and Bierman. 

Looking ahead to next year: can Kaletha get a medical RS and if so does he want to stay, that's a question. If not, I'm confident in saying the outfield will be Dunham, Richardson, and Vecrumba. Barr will be at 3B, Ashley at 2B.. Skrine will be the DH or 1B. And then Combs, Hoeltz, and Voth will battle it out at C. Cooper Trinkle, Houston, and Walker at SS. If Combs doesnt catch on a day, I believe he would probably DH (hit 8 HRs and 48 RBIs in JUCO this year). There are other FR that I simply know nothing about, so I won't try and guess who plays where other than Vecrumba starts Day 1. 

Pitching wise we replace a lot of starters, but the bullpen should be solid. We don't not have a Friday ace unfortunately at this time. I think the Sunday starter will be Braydon Tucker. Manous, Sloan, and Scott will be the first three out of the pen. I look for Alex Franklin to really improve heading into next year. Bierman obviously will be a solid Saturday guy. We will need some Fr to step up pitching wise for us though. 

As for this weekend... eff UL and eff the umpiring all weekend. Fridays game was every bit as poorly umpired as Sundays game. UL punks about caused a fight mouthing off to us after we got screwed on the called third strike at home while we were complaining. (The teams I'm saying). Stadium was nice, beer was awesome. I heard this weekend... almost 70% of schools who host a regional advance to the supers. Goes to show how important that is. We will be back soon though, I love that we won the Big Ten title and that we were pissed about our overall season. Love it. Expectations are high... we just have to start getting more of the top tier in state kids. 

14 minutes ago, slojoe said:

UM, who finished 2d in B1G to IU, beat #1 UCLA last night to advance to CWS.

And in a very odd way could provide the absolute motivation or whatever to show our guys they can do it too. Nice for the Big 10 to get a team back there. Even if it's the boys from Ann Arbor. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And in a very odd way could provide the absolute motivation or whatever to show our guys they can do it too. Nice for the Big 10 to get a team back there. Even if it's the boys from Ann Arbor. 

Yeah it's a good thing UM is doing so well. We took two out of three from them on the road this year.. and probably should have swept them. 

College baseball is so hitting dominated, if IU can start getting some even bigger stud arms, they’ll be set.  Guys like DeNato carried them in the Tracy era.  

That michigan game was won with their starter last night.  

Speaking of DeNato - wonder if Coach Smith is still kicking himself for leaving him in the bullpen vs Stanford when IU lost the regional at home.    Man that was a tough break. 

27 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue’s coach just got hired at Oregon. Sucks to lose him but I don’t blame the guy. 

I said this in regard to Smith/Lemonis: ultimately, it's a compliment to the program. But, after losing more than one to more established programs, need to find one to stay. I think we've got that now.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I said this in regard to Smith/Lemonis: ultimately, it's a compliment to the program. But, after losing more than one to more established programs, need to find one to stay. I think we've got that now.

He was an assistant at Oregon for 4 years and is a west coast guy. Knew he’d leave eventually. 

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Nope I think their first call will be Illinois State’s coach Steve Holm. He was with Purdue until this year and got them to the tournament in year 1. 

That would be a great hire for the Boilers.

Archived