Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is on fire.....

milehiiu

Many friends and family have visited. I'm not the fondest of overseas travel so I haven't been there. I'm not a big architecture/painting/cathedral history type of guy....but I can appreciate it's significance. At first glance. My guess is this was human error by the constant repairs. All the scaffolding,etc....in the photos as recently as last week. One spark and it becomes a tinder box. 

25 minutes ago, rico said:

I heard that a piece of Jesus' thorn crown was in the cathedral?  How many other treasures did it hold?

The two most significant relics were the supposed crown of thorns and a piece of the cross.  The large bronze statues of the apostles were removed prior to the restoration.  Most significant artwork still on site (IMO) was the stained glass itself, which I believe they were performing some type of procedure to keep them from blowing out as the fire was being extinguished. Haven't heard whether the organ, which dates to the 13th century, was damaged or no.

So, the University of Notre Dame is making a $100,000 donation to the rebuilding cause of the Cathedral. 

Sounds good, but given that their foundation is valued at over $13 billion, that is less than peanuts. 

Better than a stick in the eye, but you would think one of the most prestigious Catholic universities in the world could be a little more generous.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, the University of Notre Dame is making a $100,000 donation to the rebuilding cause of the Cathedral. 

Sounds good, but given that their foundation is valued at over $13 billion, that is less than peanuts. 

Better than a stick in the eye, but you would think one of the most prestigious Catholic universities in the world could be a little more generous.

May be that the Irish don't like the French?

Archived