Due to credible threat, all Denver metro schools closed...

milehiiu

.... as we approach the 20th anniversary of Columbine.  An 18 year old women from Florida, infatuated with what happened at Columbine. Flew into Denver on April 16. Bought a weapon. And some reported seeing her outside of Columbine.  She is thought to be somewhere in the foothills.  FBI recommended the closing of all major Denver Metro Schools for April 17. Private schools also.   That's hundreds of schools.

All major Denver-area school districts cancel class Wednesday 

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Saw this on a news feed last night. The human mind can be downright frightening sometimes.

I figured this might not be of interest to most folks. However, I know we have several members that are teachers, and thought it might be of interest to them.  Unprecedented closure.  Largest non weather related closure in history for our area.  Just heard, on one of the tv stations..... over 500 thousand students out of class today, due to the threat.

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Saw this on a news feed last night. The human mind can be downright frightening sometimes.

Also Z. If the woman who caused this closure is truly 18 years of age, that would mean she was not even alive when Columbine happened. 

9 minutes ago, rico said:

The story is on the South Bend news right now.  Not to be weird or anything, what are they gonna charge her with when they catch her? (Assuming she never fires a shot)

Assuming she's made statements about her intentions, then traveled to that area and purchased a firearm, some type of conspiracy to commit crime should fit. Not saying it'd be a likely conviction, but it'd be enough to charge her with.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Assuming she's made statements about her intentions, then traveled to that area and purchased a firearm, some type of conspiracy to commit crime should fit. Not saying it'd be a likely conviction, but it'd be enough to charge her with.

No laws on creating mass hysteria?  

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

..... over 500 million students out of class today, due to the threat.

Quite the population boom in Denver.  In 2017, the entire state of Colorado had a population of under 6 million.  

Marijuana must be pulling them in from all over the world.  :coffee:

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Quite the population boom in Denver.  In 2017, the entire state of Colorado had a population of under 6 million.  

Marijuana must be pulling them in from all over the world.  :coffee:

Ha. Ha.  My error.  I have gone back to edit the post.  I was thinking of posting  over half a million students out of class, and typed in  over 500  million instead.

However, you are correct.  I got to Colorado in 1970.  It is nothing, population wise, like it was then.  Entire cities have grown up or did not even exist back then. Highland's Ranch, South of Denver, being one of those cities.  Used to take my son when he was little there, to watch buffalo. 

36 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What amazes me is how many resources can be tied up and how much chaos one individual can create.  

True.  Every, and I mean every law enforcement agency throughout the entire Denver Metro Area, and into the foothills had been involved in either the search, and or stepped up protection of most every school in their jurisdiction.

Sad that it ended this way.  But glad that it is over. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Its a shame that children these days always have this in the back of their minds.  Schools are supposed to be safe places.

I have posted this before.  That my son who was a  High School Sophomore at the time of Columbine, attended the funerals of three Columbine kids.  My son went to a different school, but knew these kids.  And every April 20th, begged us not to send him to school that day.

1 hour ago, rico said:

This country puts a lot of emphasis on a lot of things.  We need to get serious about mental illness and treatment for it.

Amen.  A lot of these issues are treatable if they're not allowed to spiral out of control.  There shouldn't be such a negative stigma associated with them when a significant portion of the population is dealing with them in some form or another.

28 minutes ago, rico said:

I was gonna put this up earlier but held off...2 schools in South Bend(the last I knew) closed today because of threats in the aftermath of what went down in Denver.  Authorities believe it is a "copy cat" type of thing.  JSMH.

Sadly. I am not surprised.

Archived