Have you been watching Jeopardy ?

milehiiu

With over $1.6 million in winnings.... James gets a two week break, due to the annual teacher's tournament. Two weeks off.....to study !  I pity the contestants that will be pitted against James, when he returns.

From May 2....James reveals a secret about Alex :

'Jeopardy!' contestant James Holzhauer reveals Alex Trebek has a 'potty mouth' when cameras are off 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2019/05/04/james-holzhauer-ruining-jeopardy-smerconish-vpx-sot.cnn

First criticism of James that I have seen.

Comes across as sour grapes 

Sour grapes and jealousy.

Despite any of the analytic techniques he may use, this is a kick-ass trivia player. No real categorical weaknesses. Say what you want about him calculating DD odds on the fly or timing the buzzer....hes getting the damn questions right. If he was great at calculating odds but missing the questions, we're not even seeing him on TV anymore.

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Sour grapes and jealousy.

Despite any of the analytic techniques he may use, this is a kick-ass trivia player. No real categorical weaknesses. Say what you want about him calculating DD odds on the fly or timing the buzzer....hes getting the damn questions right. If he was great at calculating odds but missing the questions, we're not even seeing him on TV anymore.

Oh, I agree.  Let's forget about it coming from CNN.

Is James ruining Jeopardy for everyone, they ask ?  Well.... I will clean this up and say...... HECK, no !

It's not just his control of the buzzer.  But also his ability to go for the top dollar questions, first.  In order to find the daily doubles.  And did I mention, as you already have.... that  James almost always, after a big bet..... he gets the question right.

Summing up.  James is the best thing to happen to Jeopardy, since Ken Jennings, and Julia Collins.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Here's the real question...

Did you find that by searching for James Holzhauer, or by searching for Brooke Burns?

I actually saw a blurb on the Game Show Network.... and the to my surprise when I searched James Holzhauer. on the Chase... the video popped

I watched last night and what struck me is how great James actually is. They started the teacher's tournament this week and maybe they had a bad batch but I don't think we've had that many incorrect answers since James started.

Made me more impressed with James.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I watched last night and what struck me is how great James actually is. They started the teacher's tournament this week and maybe they had a bad batch but I don't think we've had that many incorrect answers since James started.

Made me more impressed with James.

Agree.

• 2 weeks later...

i watched the Teacher's Tournament with as much interest as I would for James.

Great to see teachers recognized, and given the opportunity to make (for them) some significant money.

Yes, James is a fantastic player, and I want to see him beat Ken Jennings' record but, let's face it, he's a professional gambler.

Glad to see people that are actually contributing to the future of our society by teaching and mentoring kids, get some acclaim.

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

i watched the Teacher's Tournament with as much interest as I would for James.

Great to see teachers recognized, and given the opportunity to make (for them) some significant money.

Yes, James is a fantastic player, and I want to see him beat Ken Jennings' record but, let's face it, he's a professional gambler.

Glad to see people that are actually contributing to the future of our society by teaching and mentoring kids, get some acclaim.

So the money that people make or win that creates jobs, research and cures for diseases, etc....even as a gambler should come with an asterisk? Never understood that. 

He's donated to Vegas Library, Vegas Museum, low income families in need of food and medical attention, animal causes/rescues,etc....and this is just his start. I'm not sure what a professional gambler has to do with anything. Maybe I read your post wrong. It implies like he's some morally bankrupt guy because it's easier for him to make $ by doing his own research (much like the markets) to buy a team (instead of a company) because he likes the ROI potential. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

So the money that people make or win that creates jobs, research and cures for diseases, etc....even as a gambler should come with an asterisk? Never understood that. 

He's donated to Vegas Library, Vegas Museum, low income families in need of food and medical attention, animal causes/rescues,etc....and this is just his start. I'm not sure what a professional gambler has to do with anything. Maybe I read your post wrong. It implies like he's some morally bankrupt guy because it's easier for him to make $ by doing his own research (much like the markets) to buy a team (instead of a company) because he likes the ROI potential. 

And Brett Maverick says hello...

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

No, I have no ill will towards James. Seems like a stand up guy and glad to learn that he is spreading his winnings into worthwhile causes. 

I guess my post was in response to the comment made that someone "suffered" through the Teacher's tournament. Just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess.

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No, I have no ill will towards James. Seems like a stand up guy and glad to learn that he is spreading his winnings into worthwhile causes. 

I guess my post was in response to the comment made that someone "suffered" through the Teacher's tournament. Just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess.

Understand. I see those types of posts as well. 

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes. It was me. I suffered through the Teacher's tournament.  Just to clarify. Not a diss on teachers.  I love teachers. I have known many over the years. Many of my current friends are teachers. We have them over for special occasions, year long.  My wife taught for over 40 years.  I suffered, because of the delay of seeing James continue his advance to history.  In retrospect.... the time off only gave James more time to prepare for the future.  So in that case the two week Teacher's Tournament may have been a blessing in disguise for James.

Let's all sit back, and enjoy the journey which takes up again tonight !

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

James back in business again. I think he won $90k tonight. 

It worked out for him.  However, he could have lost, as he bet too much for final jeopardy.... had he not gotten it right.  As the lady bet most of what she had earned and got the final jeopardy question correct.  Had James missed the final jeopardy question, he would have lost to her.  No reason to bet as much as he did, IMHO. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

It worked out for him.  However, he could have lost, as he bet too much for final jeopardy.... had he not gotten it right.  As the lady bet most of what she had earned and got the final jeopardy question correct.  Had James missed the final jeopardy question, he would have lost to her.  No reason to bet as much as he did, IMHO. 

They corrected the score when returning before final question. They removed I believe $4k from her score so she had $4,600 total I believe. $9,200 if doubled up. James had $49,220 so even if he lost he still had her covered by $20.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

They corrected the score when returning before final question. They removed I believe $4k from her score so she had $4,600 total I believe. $9,200 if doubled up. James had $49,220 so even if he lost he still had her covered by $20.

Thanks.  I missed that.  WOW. 

Archived