Have you been watching Jeopardy ?

milehiiu

I have not watched one episode yet, because I'm never to the point where I can sit down and watch at the time it is shown here locally.  But, you guys have finally piqued my interest enough to set the DVR to record nightly.  Looking forward to catching him in action.  I am naturally drawn to greatness.  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have not watched one episode yet, because I'm never to the point where I can sit down and watch at the time it is shown here locally.  But, you guys have finally piqued my interest enough to set the DVR to record nightly.  Looking forward to catching him in action.  I am naturally drawn to greatness.  

You will not be disappointed.  Pay special attention to his technique.  Unlike regular players, he starts out going for the hardest questions first, in search of the double jeopardy questions. Which he most often finds, and bets big.... and answers them correctly. Hopefully James gets the one double jeopardy in the first round, so you can see him go all in, which he did on Tuesday.  And many times before.

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

James had quite the battle today.  Actually trailed for a good portion of the game.

Bit close for my liking. Hopefully that guy will be invited back or maybe Jeopardy producers will seize this opportunity and do a lose to James week next season. Given Trebek's health fight they have to be thinking of what to do when Alex is officially gone from show as well. 

On 5/22/2019 at 8:22 AM, milehiiu said:

You will not be disappointed.  Pay special attention to his technique.  Unlike regular players, he starts out going for the hardest questions first, in search of the double jeopardy questions. Which he most often finds, and bets big.... and answers them correctly. Hopefully James gets the one double jeopardy in the first round, so you can see him go all in, which he did on Tuesday.  And many times before.

I've watched Jeopardy for many years, and I've always wondered why nobody ever went for the most valuable questions in a category first. Always said that if I ever got on the show, I was going to do the opposite.

I think we discussed earlier in thread but one thing I really like is his strategy of rarely staying in the same category for multiple questions in a row. Changing up categories is as equally important strateg. Doesn't allow opponents the ability to focus in on a subject. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think we discussed earlier in thread but one thing I really like is his strategy of rarely staying in the same category for multiple questions in a row. Changing up categories is as equally important strateg. Doesn't allow opponents the ability to focus in on a subject. 

Also shows the wide diversity of Jame's knowledge base. 

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Report out today. May 29, 2019.  From Alex Trebec : "I'm near remission."

That is wonderful news, both in and of itself and in the larger scheme of things.

Alex has (publicly anyway) displayed the ideal attitude and spirit during a time like this, and being a public figure, is in a position to inspire others that may have given up on their own fight. Also, the more people that survive cancers like this, the more we know which treatments are most effective, which increases the odds for everyone in the future. 

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Supposedly someone leaked a clip on social media that shows that James loses tonight. Suggested that he made an uncharacteristically small bet in Final Jeopardy. 

Going to have to tune in tonight for sure to see if this is legit or not.

Well.  If it's on the internet.  It's got to be true. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Supposedly someone leaked a clip on social media that shows that James loses tonight. Suggested that he made an uncharacteristically small bet in Final Jeopardy. 

Going to have to tune in tonight for sure to see if this is legit or not.

My son found this Saturday night / Sunday morning and broke the news to me after church.  .  The clip looks legit.  I mean, seriously, the whole Jeopardy crew would have to be in on it for it not to be.  What I don't know is whether it is tonight's episode, or one scheduled to run 3 weeks from now.  

And, he did not lose because he made a small bet.  He lost because he was trailing going into Final Jeopardy, so he simply could not afford to use the 'bet it all' strategy.  What he did was bet enough to beat the 3rd place guy if he doubled up, while he hoped the leader missed the question.  Turns out she bet small as well, and James could have beat her if he bet more.  But, I still look at it as he was trailing going into Final Jeopardy, so he did not have the betting leverage.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

My son found this Saturday night / Sunday morning and broke the news to me after church.  .  The clip looks legit.  I mean, seriously, the whole Jeopardy crew would have to be in on it for it not to be.  What I don't know is whether it is tonight's episode, or one scheduled to run 3 weeks from now.  

And, he did not lose because he made a small bet.  He lost because he was trailing going into Final Jeopardy, so he simply could not afford to use the 'bet it all' strategy.  What he did was bet enough to beat the 3rd place guy if he doubled up, while he hoped the leader missed the question.  Turns out she bet small as well, and James could have beat her if he bet more.  But, I still look at it as he was trailing going into Final Jeopardy, so he did not have the betting leverage.  

Spoiler alerts :

What Is a Spoiler? This Story About ‘Jeopardy!’ Phenom James Holzhauer - The New York Times

Does James Holzhauer's 'Jeopardy!' winning streak continue? <SPOILER> - CNN

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

The press is so stupid.  The CNN article acts like his small bet for Final Jeopardy did him in.  And, I've seen several other articles that implied the same thing. 

Actually, she bet enough so that when she got the question right, he could not catch her even if he doubled up.  His Final Jeopardy bet had NOTHING to do with him losing.  His bet was very smart because it assured he would beat the 3rd place finisher, even if James had got Final Jeopardy wrong. 

He could not win if she got the answer right and bet enough to cover his double-up.  She did both.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The press is so stupid.  The CNN article acts like his small bet for Final Jeopardy did him in.  And, I've seen several other articles that implied the same thing. 

Actually, she bet enough so that when she got the question right, he could not catch her even if he doubled up.  His Final Jeopardy bet had NOTHING to do with him losing.  His bet was very smart because it assured he would beat the 3rd place finisher, even if James had got Final Jeopardy wrong. 

He could not win if she got the answer right and bet enough to cover his double-up.  She did both.

Though I know the outcome. I will be watching Monday night.  And not rooting for her on Tuesday. It's kind of like... pity the fool(s) who had to follow Knight at IU.   Congrats to her.  But talk about spoiling a good thing for me. I'm blaming this on Pat McAfee. LOL

Archived