Multiple Capable Fives

25 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

There have been years with no center, years where we are foul trouble away from a crisis.  Rarely has IU been stacked with truly capable bigs in the paint.  Next year should finally be different.

TDH.  I love the fact that you led this story off with a picture of De'Ron.  My only hope is that Hoosier Nation gets an opportunity to see the greatest I viewed as a prepster in Colorado.... injury free.  I read the other day some one on this very board calling De'Ron slow.  Yet never mentioning that he not only was yet coming of a major injury that would have had many others out for a year, and not mentioning that he suffered other injuries last season that kept him out of games, or limited his time on the court. Failing to recall, Archie second thinking himself ,about bringing De'Ron back at times last season as well. Let's not forget that De'Ron came to IU out of high school with injuries as well, that kept him from participating in a couple of post season All-Star games between high school and entering Indiana University.

Heck, we recently saw how injuries can hamper a great athlete and what can happen when they get over them... with Tiger Woods winning the Masters.  I hope De'Ron's Senior season at IU is going to be his Masters in order to prove his naysayers wrong.

TDH. You hit the nail on the head.  IU's depth all along the front line is something that has been lacking for years. Yes, we had Cody. If only for a short period of time.  But that was only one man.

Now.  We have a front line that, God willing, I feel will be able to compete with any team in the B!G, much less in the nation.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

TDH.  I love the fact that you led this story off with a picture of De'Ron.  My only hope is that Hoosier Nation gets an opportunity to see the greatest I viewed as a prepster in Colorado.... injury free.  I read the other day some one on this very board calling De'Ron slow.  Yet never mentioning that he not only was yet coming of a major injury that would have had many others out for a year, and not mentioning that he suffered other injuries last season that kept him out of games, or limited his time on the court. Failing to recall, Archie second thinking himself ,about bringing De'Ron back at times last season as well. Let's not forget that De'Ron came to IU out of high school with injuries as well, that kept him from participating in a couple of post season All-Star games between high school and entering Indiana University.

Heck, we recently saw how injuries can hamper a great athlete and what can happen when they get over them... with Tiger Woods winning the Masters.  I hope De'Ron's Senior season at IU is going to be his Masters in order to prove his naysayers wrong.

TDH. You hit the nail on the head.  IU's depth all along the front line is something that has been lacking for years. Yes, we had Cody. If only for a short period of time.  But that was only one man.

Now.  We have a front line that, God willing, I feel will be able to compete with any team in the B!G, much less in the nation.

I am not sure Slow is the correct word.  I think he lack quickness.  His reaction time is slow.  His ability to move his feet quickly and react to a movement is slow.  That doesn't mean he is slow though.  And it doesn't mean he isn't a good player or important to the team.  I would say he is currently the most important player on this team next yeah.  He is going to be the anchor in the middle of this line-up.  And if he stays healthy (not likely) he is going to have a great season.

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not sure Slow is the correct word.  I think he lack quickness.  His reaction time is slow.  His ability to move his feet quickly and react to a movement is slow.  That doesn't mean he is slow though.  And it doesn't mean he isn't a good player or important to the team.  I would say he is currently the most important player on this team next yeah.  He is going to be the anchor in the middle of this line-up.  And if he stays healthy (not likely) he is going to have a great season.

That is a very fair assessment. One other thing about his feet.  I know others complained about it at the beginning of the season. And thoughts like that tend to carry over for the entire season. Again, just prior to the season, keep in mind, many thought De'Ron would be out for an entire year.  Coming off the surgery that he had, I could see why he would be tentative. Lastly, about his feet.... watching every game, as I did.... I can recall several commentators commenting about De'Ron's good footwork, as the season progressed. Whenever I heard that, I just had to smile to myself.... and think.... isn't it great have a major injury fall further and further into your rear view mirror ?

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That is a very fair assessment. One other thing about his feet.  I know others complained about it at the beginning of the season. And thoughts like that tend to carry over for the entire season. Again, just prior to the season, keep in mind, many thought De'Ron would be out for an entire year.  Coming off the surgery that he had, I could see why he would be tentative. Lastly, about his feet.... watching every game, as I did.... I can recall several commentators commenting about De'Ron's good footwork, as the season progressed. Whenever I heard that, I just had to smile to myself.... and think.... isn't it great have a major injury fall further and further into your rear view mirror ?

I would argue his footwork with the ball on offense is some of the best I've seen.

However, his footwork speed on defense is not the best.

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I guess the million dollar question is can De'Ron get it back this offseason if he stays healthy?  Is there a much quicker and more agile version of DD?  Or is his body just too worn down?  I'll leave it to you Mile, our resident DD expert, but there is something about the way he played at MSU that gives me hope.  He certainly said after the Wichita State game that he was excited to be going into the offseason healthy.

35 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Is there a much quicker and more agile version of DD? 

I believe the answer is yes.  I will let the two mix tapes prove that.  Granted. Against high school competition.  There is one segment were De'Ron steals the ball on defense, and leads the charge down the court. With Austin Conway ( who got a scholarship to Wyoming, where he played both BB and FB)  in hot pursuit.  Austin being one of the fastest players in the high school ranks I ever saw play.

First :  One of two state championship games.....  De'Ron Davis Does it All... 

Next: All star game.... De'Ron Davis (Indiana Commit) Mixtape @ The Tarkanian Classic 

Archived