Ever eaten at In-N-Out ?

milehiiu

49 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

We have a 5 guys, Smashburger, McDonalds, Culvers, Freddies Steakburger , Red Robin (unlimited fries)  and Good Times, all within a mile of my house.  I am truly blessed.  However, still looking forward to next year, when In and Out comes to Colorado. And hoping that Whataburger  returns as well. 

And I got Penguin Point and Schoop's.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

In the 7 years I've lived in Texas, I've learned four things you can't tell a Native Texan...

1. A pickup truck stamped with a "Texas Edition" badge (and every make has them...Even Toyota) is no better than any other truck

2. There are grocery stores better than HEB

3. Making something in the shape of the state (and I've seen cheese, burgers, waffles, and swimming pools) does not make it better

4. AND there are better fast food places than Whataburger.

You know, I'm ultra-proud to be a Hoosier, but these people take it to fanaticism

I've witnessed this first hand. In fact, I've weaponized it. Need a distraction/diversion when dealing with my Texas based colleagues? "In-N-Out over Whataburger". Fuse lit. Ranges from effective to hilarious.

8 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I prefer 5 guys burgers to in and out and whataburger. Surprised I seem to be alone on this once.

5 guys burgers in isolation? Up there.

5 guys fries are what kill it for me. I get that they're NJ "boardwalk" style (insert fist pump here). But they just seem soggy and limp to me (yeah, I know... that's what she said)

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hey HSN members who live in the great South of the USA. Or any other member who has ever stopped at Krystals.  Tell me about Krystals.  All I know is they are the Southern version of White Castle.

Krystal | Home of the Krystal Burger 

Krystal's taste exactly like White Castles down to the pickles and steamed onions, only they add mustard to all of their burgers. White Castles (as you probably well know) are served with only the onions and pickle, EXCEPT in New York, where they add Ketchup (yuk).

Nashville,Tn is the only city I know of that has both White Castles AND Krystal's. Must be the line of demarcation.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Krystal's taste exactly like White Castles down to the pickles and steamed onions, only they add mustard to all of their burgers. White Castles (as you probably well know) are served with only the onions and pickle, EXCEPT in New York, where they add Ketchup (yuk).

Nashville,Tn is the only city I know of that has both White Castles AND Krystal's. Must be the line of demarcation.

London, KY, also does. About halfway between Lexington and Knoxville on I75.

Up until about 4-5 years ago, Richmond, KY, did also. Krystal closed though

Edit: Southern KY/Northern TN is the demarcation line. Those are the only areas you will find both.

Biggest difference is the mustard,which I'm not a fan of. Although Krystal's buns don't seem to be as soggy as White Castles.

So they got that goin' for'em.....which is nice.

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

London, KY, also does. About halfway between Lexington and Knoxville on I75.

Up until about 4-5 years ago, Richmond, KY, did also. Krystal closed though

Edit: Southern KY/Northern TN is the demarcation line. Those are the only areas you will find both.

Biggest difference is the mustard,which I'm not a fan of. Although Krystal's buns don't seem to be as soggy as White Castles.

So they got that goin' for'em.....which is nice.

For years White Castle said they did not want to expand, due to distribution considerations. They said they could control their product better if they stayed closer to their distribution points. As to why they went to offering frozen burgers nation wide. Yet.... White Castle now has three restaurants in Nevada.  Two in Las Vegas, and one just out out Sin City.  Say what ?  WC skipped over Colorado for LV !  

With you ZD. Ketchup over mustard. Mustard belongs on a Chicago Dog.

Found this about one guys thoughts on WC vs Krystals.  He prefers the mustard over Ketchup.  But prefers WC's cheeseburger over Krystal's.

WHITE CASTLE vs KRYSTAL ☆SLIDER SHOWDOWN☆ 

By the way. Thanks for everyone's contributions on Krystals. 

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Just drive South until you hear the banjos.

I found out about ketchup on White Castles in New York the hard way. Was on business out on Long Island (Ronkonkoma) and there was a White Castle about 3 miles from the hotel. I hadn't had a WC in a few years (none here in Texas...we have Whataburger!) so I decided to get my standard 3 double cheese and onion rings. Took them back to the hotel, and to my surprise, drowned in ketchup.

I called and told them they screwed up my order. Guy says, "Did you tell them to hold the ketchup?" After I told him in every other White Castle on Earth outside of NY, they didn't come with ketchup, he laughs and says, "You're in New York. Life is tough."

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

When I was younger  (half my current age)  I was working in Trenton New Jersey and made a late night stop at a White Castle drive through for a six sack.  After I got back on the road I bit into a slider at promptly spit it out.  They had put Ketchup on them.  Turned around to took them back .  They though I was odd for wanting them without ketchup and gave me grief about it.

At my current age I only have them about once every six months.  Love'em but can't process them like I used too.

1 hour ago, Dr. Jones said:

When I was younger  (half my current age)  I was working in Trenton New Jersey and made a late night stop at a White Castle drive through for a six sack.  After I got back on the road I bit into a slider at promptly spit it out.  They had put Ketchup on them.  Turned around to took them back .  They though I was odd for wanting them without ketchup and gave me grief about it.

At my current age I only have them about once every six months.  Love'em but can't process them like I used too.

That's me as well. I have WC about every 6 months to remind myself why I only have WC every 6 months.

13 hours ago, Dr. Jones said:

That's what kills me about the term "sliders." Today, it's morphed into a term for any small hamburger.

In my eyes, only White Castle hamburgers are "sliders." My friends and I called them that in the 70s. And there's a reason they got that name.

14 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

For me, sliders don't need a sauce. The steamed bun plus cheese is enough.

And despite my Chicago heritage, I enthusiastically encourage the breaking of Chicago hot dog commandment #1 (Thou shalt not use ketchup). Slather it on.

Blasphemy. Haha. No ketchup on anything. Ever. 

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just drive South until you hear the banjos.

I found out about ketchup on White Castles in New York the hard way. Was on business out on Long Island (Ronkonkoma) and there was a White Castle about 3 miles from the hotel. I hadn't had a WC in a few years (none here in Texas...we have Whataburger!) so I decided to get my standard 3 double cheese and onion rings. Took them back to the hotel, and to my surprise, drowned in ketchup.

I called and told them they screwed up my order. Guy says, "Did you tell them to hold the ketchup?" After I told him in every other White Castle on Earth outside of NY, they didn't come with ketchup, he laughs and says, "You're in New York. Life is tough."

Can't imagine just throwing ketchup on anything let alone White Castle without asking customer first. 

Archived