Tommy Stevens?

Not a season-breaker either way.  On one hand, you can never have too many capable QBs.  But he better not have the attitude of "I'll waltz right in there and start Day 1", because (for once) we actually have a decent number of QBs.  Ramsey is an ideal #2.  Not going to lose any games, but probably won't win too many because of him either.  Smart, capable, but just a notch below top-tier.  Perfect backup.  Penix and Tuttle are both top shelf, and if the staff thinks that there's someone out there that's clearly head-and-shoulders better than both of them, bring him in, because he's got to be an absolute stud.  That said, I don't think Stevens is head and shoulders better than Penix and Tuttle.  Better? Maybe.  But I'll take a year of developing a QB that has more than one year left available. 

13 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not a season-breaker either way.  On one hand, you can never have too many capable QBs.  But he better not have the attitude of "I'll waltz right in there and start Day 1", because (for once) we actually have a decent number of QBs.  Ramsey is an ideal #2.  Not going to lose any games, but probably won't win too many because of him either.  Smart, capable, but just a notch below top-tier.  Perfect backup.  Penix and Tuttle are both top shelf, and if the staff thinks that there's someone out there that's clearly head-and-shoulders better than both of them, bring him in, because he's got to be an absolute stud.  That said, I don't think Stevens is head and shoulders better than Penix and Tuttle.  Better? Maybe.  But I'll take a year of developing a QB that has more than one year left available. 

See, that is the thing about waltzing in here.  My understanding is that he missed the spring season due to injury and then got upset because Franklin didn't name him the #1 QB.  I might have dis-information but that is what I heard.  

I would pass, I would rather stick the extra time into the group we got. Keep them happy an here for the remainder of they’re college careers. It’s not always the kids who make  

mistakes. Cam Cameron told Jay Cutler he wasn’t a D1 QB. His dream was to play for IU. He only played in the NFL for 11 or 12 year . So proud of him. Local boy does good. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

See, that is the thing about waltzing in here.  My understanding is that he missed the spring season due to injury and then got upset because Franklin didn't name him the #1 QB.  I might have dis-information but that is what I heard.  

That is in essence what the Penn St people are reporting.  Basically they weren't comfortable with having to compete for the starting job and will look elsewhere for a guarantee.  Lots of red flags with that.  He is a good player but was only a 3-star recruit for reference.  He is acting like, or being influenced to act like he is Jeff George.

25 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

That is in essence what the Penn St people are reporting.  Basically they weren't comfortable with having to compete for the starting job and will look elsewhere for a guarantee.  Lots of red flags with that.  He is a good player but was only a 3-star recruit for reference.  He is acting like, or being influenced to act like he is Jeff George.

Yeah, the kid needs to step down a notch or two.  I just don't want him.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I would pass, I would rather stick the extra time into the group we got. Keep them happy an here for the remainder of they’re college careers. It’s not always the kids who make  

mistakes. Cam Cameron told Jay Cutler he wasn’t a D1 QB. His dream was to play for IU. He only played in the NFL for 11 or 12 year . So proud of him. Local boy does good. 

That's one I'll never be able to understand. Ron Turner did the same at Illinois and ironically was Jay's coach at Bears. Revisionist history is always perfect but curious where our program would be if we had a guy like him at the helm for 4 years. Recruits like that can change a program. 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

If that seriously happened I will smack Cam Cameron. 

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Not saying you're wrong... but I'll wait before I hear this from someone that's not a PSU fan. They should be considered disgusting for their role in the events that occurred after the Sandusky stuff came out and the sanctions were placed on the football program. 

It would not be surprising if he was looking for a starting gig, or a near guarantee, as he spent a lot of time watching Trace and his college career is almost over. I don’t want him now, due to the QB’s we already have, but man he would have been a good fit at IU as he would have been here when we really needed QB’s.  Maybe he really enjoyed his time at PSU but wonder if he thinks about what could have been. He might have been a 2 year starter at IU.

Cutler is a major tool. I live close enough to Chicago to have heard all kinds of stories of him not being a good person or teammate. And, he was 11-35 in college, and never won anything in the pros. I'm not upset that we're not connected to him.

No interest in Stevens either. We have the best depth at QB I can ever remember.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Cutler is a major tool. I live close enough to Chicago to have heard all kinds of stories of him not being a good person or teammate. And, he was 11-35 in college, and never won anything in the pros. I'm not upset that we're not connected to him.

No interest in Stevens either. We have the best depth at QB I can ever remember.

He was a stud in college. Steve Alford is a tool. 

As are plenty of others we've had. 

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

100% agree about Alford!

I just think it doesn't work well as a QB because you're supposed to be the leader.  Cutler had insane talent, but was never a great leader.

We dont actually know how he was in the lockerroom and to be fair... he played at Vandy who has had no success... so 11-35 meh. 

He did win SEC Off POY at Vandy which is a huge accomplishment. 

Thanks, Bob. Cam Cameron would be an interesting discussion.  Lot of issues there.  Cam had been round Knight and Bo and thought he was imparted their coaching heritage by magic.  He was one of the all time worst NFL coaches.  1-15 and one and done.  I’ve looked at what his players thought of him, and despise isn’t a strong enough word.  In one of the most bizarre episodes I’ve ever heard in sports, for a preseason game, Cam stood on the sideline and didn’t coach so his assistants could coach and learn in case anything happened to Cam, lol.  This was a first time NFL coach.   

Jay may have had issues in the NFL.  He didn’t want to get hit, he was aloof, etc.  But I saw him at Vandy and he was a tremendous college quarterback in the SEC.  He went eleventh overall in the draft because he was an elite physical talent.  

That is a pretty big whiff by Cam on a kid from southern Indiana.  His arm talent speaks for itself. Cam either was lazy and didn’t do his homework or didn’t know what the heck he was looking at.  Probably a significant amount of both.  

Can Cam be a decent offensive coordinator?  Of course, but you’d not want him anywhere near being in charge of a team.  

Thank You ! The local AD sent a tape of Jay to A Vandy baseball coach he was a personal friend with and ask him to give the tape to the football coach. The story is the Coach didn’t watch the whole tape and offered Jay. Jay did a great job at Vandy 

, but also took a serious physical beating there. It seem like the whole SEC pinned their ears back and came after him. He started fours years at  Vandy. Set a lot of records there. 

Archived