Matthew Hurt Commits to Duke

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

We must feel our relationships with him are good. Coach and Race perhaps...because as good as recruiting has been it's hard to see us winning over Duke, UNC, KU, and UK without a really good reason to still be fighting and spending recruiting focus on him.

I hear you but I think we’re trying to kill off that defeatist mentality. IU could be a big draw for these top players if we play things correctly and we need to assume that we can get it done until we don’t a few times. Underdogs? Sure. But we need to go after the best and see what happens.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Probably not but it wouldn’t be a complete shock.

This is more my view.  One of my pet peeves is speaking in absolutes when delivering opinions.

I think he goes to IU before he wastes his talents at Minnesota (where I expect he'll get very little coaching instruction of any value).

21 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Stop pretending you know something.

I’m not trying to act like I know something, but it’s pretty obvious he’s looking for a one and done factory if you read the article.  So let me get this straight, you’re pissed that I read his quotes, comprehended that material, and said IU is not landing this kid?  Sorry to offend you boss- it’s the middle of the freakin’ summer,  and I shared my opinion.   

5 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

I’m not trying to act like I know something, but it’s pretty obvious he’s looking for a one and done factory if you read the article.  So let me get this straight, you’re pissed that I read his quotes, comprehended that material, and said IU is not landing this kid?  Sorry to offend you boss- it’s the middle of the freakin’ summer,  and I shared my opinion.   

You don’t know anything when it comes to Archie’s approach. Maybe Archie is fine with a factory. I personally would be open  that. The typical IU approach isn’t working. Let’s let him dictate where we’re going.

13 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

You don’t know anything when it comes to Archie’s approach. Maybe Archie is fine with a factory. I personally would be open  that. The typical IU approach isn’t working. Let’s let him dictate where we’re going.

Let me make this very clear.  I am not IUScott and I would not complain about a one and done factory if Archie can find a good balance.  I don’t think kids see IU that way YET- meant to put that in my post.

51 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

Also FKIMO, your avatar looks like something a Purdue fan would have to make fun of Archie.  Do you find it funny or something?  

I do...I think it's funny as hell.  If I wanted to insult someone, I'd use a picture like this:

Painter3.jpg

Just now, hoosier10 said:

That’s pretty much what you have of Archie. Nice try though

I'm not interested in your pissing match.  If you don't see the difference between stating your opinion vs. making a statement of fact, I can't help you.  Anybody who follows this forum at all knows IU is not likely to land Hurt...at least not as things stand at the moment.  You make a statement like IU has been eliminated from consideration altogether.  Honestly, it's annoying as hell.  Saying "I don't see him coming to IU" is completely different from what you said.

Now I'm done.  Keep going on the subject and you'll just be talking to yourself.

31 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not interested in your pissing match.  If you don't see the difference between stating your opinion vs. making a statement of fact, I can't help you.  Anybody who follows this forum at all knows IU is not likely to land Hurt...at least not as things stand at the moment.  You make a statement like IU has been eliminated from consideration altogether.  Honestly, it's annoying as hell.  Saying "I don't see him coming to IU" is completely different from what you said.

Now I'm done.  Keep going on the subject and you'll just be talking to yourself.

Your feathers seem ruffled- so I’ll just let you be. 

11 hours ago, hoosier10 said:

Let me make this very clear.  I am not IUScott and I would not complain about a one and done factory if Archie can find a good balance.  I don’t think kids see IU that way YET- meant to put that in my post.

I don't understand how any long time IU fan would ever want to be a one and done factory. To me the win at any cost attitude is the real problem with this fan base and what is causing the friction with the fan base.

Preface my comment to say I want Hurt, and any other 5 Star who wants to wear Candy Stripes, BUT....

As far as being a one-and-done factory, I agree that most IU fans don’t want that. Living on our side of the Ohio River, there are plenty of UK fans here. On 1450am, there is a Kentucky show on when I get in my car after work ( Morning Madness with Jim Coyle is a great listen on the ride in) and they have completely changed the narrative for what they consider success. They do not talk about winning championships, rather, how many first round picks they will get, and how much money their other NBA guys will sign for. I’m sure there’s a section of the bbn that is getting a little restless “ only” winning 1 title in the Calipari era, and that team had a mix of one and done players with veterans. Coach K aside, I think the one and done factory formula does NOT net what fans of the respective schools want- banners. I happen to prefer a team that has a nucleus of kids who stay around to get endeared to the fan base. Watching them improve is a real hallmark of evaluating coaching, one of the only strengths in the Crean Era IMO. I think Archie and staff should follow the NFL draft model during recruitment of players- get the Best Available, while focusing on Indiana players. So far, so good. 

Most of the long time IU fans I know like watching kids come in a develop over 3 or 4 years and get to know who they are.  We don't want a roster that turns over every year because that is not what college sports is supposed to be about.  I don't mind 1 one and done player a year but I never want 4 or 5 in each recruiting class like UK or Duke.

39 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Preface my comment to say I want Hurt, and any other 5 Star who wants to wear Candy Stripes, BUT....

As far as being a one-and-done factory, I agree that most IU fans don’t want that. Living on our side of the Ohio River, there are plenty of UK fans here. On 1450am, there is a Kentucky show on when I get in my car after work ( Morning Madness with Jim Coyle is a great listen on the ride in) and they have completely changed the narrative for what they consider success. They do not talk about winning championships, rather, how many first round picks they will get, and how much money their other NBA guys will sign for. I’m sure there’s a section of the bbn that is getting a little restless “ only” winning 1 title in the Calipari era, and that team had a mix of one and done players with veterans. Coach K aside, I think the one and done factory formula does NOT net what fans of the respective schools want- banners. I happen to prefer a team that has a nucleus of kids who stay around to get endeared to the fan base. Watching them improve is a real hallmark of evaluating coaching, one of the only strengths in the Crean Era IMO. I think Archie and staff should follow the NFL draft model during recruitment of players- get the Best Available, while focusing on Indiana players. So far, so good. 

This is a reasonable view.  I agree that it’s tough to win a title when a team is full of one and dones due to lack of experience and chemistry.  I think the model of recruiting high four stars/low five stars that stick around for a couple years and mixing in one-and-done players is probably the best way to go about it.

At the same time, UK has made the Elite 8 or better in 6 out of the last 9 seasons.  I would much rather watch IU win at that level with one-and-dones than ”watch players develop” while winning at a lower rate.  

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is a reasonable view.  I agree that it’s tough to win a title when a team is full of one and dones due to lack of experience and chemistry.  I think the model of recruiting high four stars/low five stars that stick around for a couple years and mixing in one-and-done players is probably the best way to go about it.

At the same time, UK has made the Elite 8 or better in 6 out of the last 9 seasons.  I would much rather watch IU win at that level with one-and-dones than ”watch players develop” while winning at a lower rate.  

I agree about UK’s production in the tournament, and how it towers over IU’s last 30 years,  but remember that production had been with veritable super teams. ( apples to oranges?) but if Golden State was less than runner-up every year, would that be disappointing to their fans? In other words, their fans have changed the narrative  from “we expect to compete for National Championship every year” to “hey, how many first rounders will we get, and what will be Cal’s money number to sell to recruits for the next batch?” I would think, that compared to their football brethren at Alabama, they might just be coming up a little short. I think there is a small contingent of fans that are getting tired of that. I totally prefer the Villanova/Gonzaga model. And you’ll never see me complaining if we ever get a top 5 recruiting class.

24 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I agree about UK’s production in the tournament, and how it towers over IU’s last 30 years,  but remember that production had been with veritable super teams. ( apples to oranges?) but if Golden State was less than runner-up every year, would that be disappointing to their fans? In other words, their fans have changed the narrative  from “we expect to compete for National Championship every year” to “hey, how many first rounders will we get, and what will be Cal’s money number to sell to recruits for the next batch?” I would think, that compared to their football brethren at Alabama, they might just be coming up a little short. I think there is a small contingent of fans that are getting tired of that. I totally prefer the Villanova/Gonzaga model. And you’ll never see me complaining if we ever get a top 5 recruiting class.

Yeah, I guess I’d just prefer to get more talent and be disappointed that we’re not winning titles every year, as opposed to getting less talent and not even being in the discussion most of the time.  Also, I think you have to take into account that UK fans are a special brand of stupid.  I would think (hope?) that IU fans would have a different attitude if we were in UK’s position.

Archived