Matthew Hurt Commits to Duke

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

To me Saturday December 8th would be a good one to get him to visit home game vs Louisville on national tv. Otherwise if he's serious about waiting the full season...Friday night home game vs Michigan on 1/25 or 3/2 home game vs Michigan St. 

If game day is something he wants to experience. Those 3 are our best weekend options. 

and since Indiana is closer than some of the schools on his list, he might be able to get down for a weekday game with us that isn't possible with them.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wonder how much the FBI investigation hurts KU who is supposedly the front runner.

It allowed us to steal one already. Reckon if it happens once it can happen twice. 🙂

We’re going to steal one of these 5 stars soooon. Decent shot at Carton and Stewart maybe this is the one. 

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Good point.  It's almost like these analysts are completely discounting that possibility.

Not the correct thread for this, but since you sort of alluded to a point that I've been wanting to make, I'll do it here.

IMO, the media is just as complicit in all of this as the coaches and shoe companies. They know what's going on for decades but the bury their heads in the sand as much as anyone. 

Check out this tweet from Jon Rothstein. I believe he tweeted this on the same day that Bowen Sr gave his testimony where he alleged that Arizona offered him $50k, the same Arizona that is alleged to have offered Ayton over $100K.

Shouldn't this tweet have said something like, "Geez, you have to wonder if Arizona is still paying players? After all the allegations made against that program, that's 2 5* commitments in a week. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck."

Instead, he goes the "wow, UA is going to be awesome, they just reload" route. That's a huge, huge part of the problem with all this, very few in the CBB media are willing to do the work here and dig into this thing. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not the correct thread for this, but since you sort of alluded to a point that I've been wanting to make, I'll do it here.

IMO, the media is just as complicit in all of this as the coaches and shoe companies. They know what's going on for decades but the bury their heads in the sand as much as anyone. 

Check out this tweet from Jon Rothstein. I believe he tweeted this on the same day that Bowen Sr gave his testimony where he alleged that Arizona offered him $50k, the same Arizona that is alleged to have offered Ayton over $100K.

Shouldn't this tweet have said something like, "Geez, you have to wonder if Arizona is still paying players? After all the allegations made against that program, that's 2 5* commitments in a week. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a duck."

Instead, he goes the "wow, UA is going to be awesome, they just reload" route. That's a huge, huge part of the problem with all this, very few in the CBB media are willing to do the work here and dig into this thing. 

Why would they though? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. The media/journalist is just business and it's not an independent force for truth like we'd like them to be. You're absolutely right in that they're complicit in this whole ordeal. The whole shebang is as crooked as it comes and the NCAA most of all. I don't even get agitated with Cal or any of the other slime balls anymore.  

Hell, you could come up with a compelling argument that these coaches and shoe programs are anti-heroes but sticking it to the corrupt NCAA and selfish NBA by denying them proper employment. 

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

Why would they though? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. The media/journalist is just business and it's not an independent force for truth like we'd like them to be. You're absolutely right in that they're complicit in this whole ordeal. The whole shebang is as crooked as it comes and the NCAA most of all. I don't even get agitated with Cal or any of the other slime balls anymore.  

Agree, the media isn't an independent force for truth, but media members and their outlets are about breaking the biggest stories and creating controversies that will generate the most eyeballs, clicks and ultimately money, and taking down major college basketball programs/coaches would do just that.   

Even in the case of that one Rothstein tweet, what gets more eyeballs and attention, his tweet or the way I worded it?

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, the media isn't an independent force for truth, but media members and their outlets are about breaking the biggest stories and creating controversies that will generate the most eyeballs, clicks and ultimately money, and taking down major college basketball programs/coaches would do just that.   

Even in the case of that one Rothstein tweet, what gets more eyeballs and attention, his tweet or the way I worded it?

You make a great point. I guess it's about nobody wanting to bite that bullet? Possible blacklisting type stuff I could imagine? Every network has big money invested and nowadays the tv companies buy out the big independent sites. This is basically being swept under the rug and it's pretty impressive how they've done it. I guess nobody really gives a crap? Which is wild really.

Why not make all this legal? Nobody involved seems interested in stopping it, and schools that don't cheat under the current rules (or don't cheat too much) tend to be less successful on the court.  As long as there is big time money involved in college sports, and as long as students, parents, coaches, etc. are not allowed to send or receive this money in order to improve their circumstances, than you know cheating will happen.  It will never end.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

So just one thought on this. Yes it would generate tons of clicks/views to bring down college basketball showing it’s dark side. The problem with that for the media though, is the risk of losing a significant % of fans/viewership in the future to click on their articles about the new cleaned up version of CBB. A lot of sports reporters could lose their jobs and newspapers, blogs, television stations, etc... lose a significant revenue stream. 

Even if a reporter wanted to do it, their is a good chance his editor, or his editor’s boss would bury the story in the greater interest of their financial well being. 

2 hours ago, BtownBallers said:

Even if a reporter wanted to do it, their is a good chance his editor, or his editor’s boss would bury the story in the greater interest of their financial well being. 

It's going to take someone with some balls to step up and defy their editor then and accept the risk of getting blacklisted in the industry.  Someone who values what real journalism used to be.

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think the testimony today of Self being aware of Adidas involvement hurts them landing Matthew Hurt! 

You would think, but the NCAA doesn’t appear to care about the other elite programs cheating, anymore. So I don’t believe that this may ultimately persuade him one way, or the other.

17 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

You would think, but the NCAA doesn’t appear to care about the other elite programs cheating, anymore. So I don’t believe that this may ultimately persuade him one way, or the other.

To be fair the NCAA was asked to let the FBI finish before any actions. 

Theres a slight chance they will make an example of somebody. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I would love for this to be the surprise guard 0708 mentioned!!!

Hurt just doesn't make sense for IU right now but that could change if we strike out on brooks or TJD somehow. No intel, just my 2 cents.

8 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I would love for this to be the surprise guard 0708 mentioned!!!

Hurt is not a guard but a 6'9 forward.  Also the article I read about prospects and their families talking about the G-League Hurt sounds like he might be interested in skipping college.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Hurt is not a guard but a 6'9 forward.  Also the article I read about prospects and their families talking about the G-League Hurt sounds like he might be interested in skipping college.

Wwould be a big mistake. Not strong enough is rail thin.

Archived