Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Disagree. We’re better served getting the best availabile in. After that you let the chips fall where they may. 

I see your point, but "best available" is extremely subjective, especially when evaluating 17-18 yr old kids. Also, letting the chips fall where they may isn't a viable long term recruiting strategy. Of course, you're going to want to go after talent, but so many other variables come into play during recruiting cycles-roster management, position needs, class balance, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd take Hurt in a hot second, but I get the feeling that this staff is being more surgical in their recruiting game, and I welcome that wholeheartedly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BEKA said:

I see your point, but "best available" is extremely subjective, especially when evaluating 17-18 yr old kids. Also, letting the chips fall where they may isn't a viable long term recruiting strategy. Of course, you're going to want to go after talent, but so many other variables come into play during recruiting cycles-roster management, position needs, class balance, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd take Hurt in a hot second, but I get the feeling that this staff is being more surgical in their recruiting game, and I welcome that wholeheartedly. 

IU can be a hot commodity if milked correctly and it hasn’t been as of yet. I think we should aim for the best in each class and not settle for whatever is the best in state. Of course you crawl before you walk but I want the best players and why shouldn’t everyone else? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look at teams that are a flash in the pan with one and dones....have big recruiting classes but haven't built a foundation around them and then the momentum fizzles out. The kid is there and gone and hasn't really improved the team. There is a fine line of building a program and then just landing a bunch of one and dones...and even getting them to take a back seat and not want to be the focus all the time is difficult too. I still want great recruits....but I realize like a seesaw...it's a lot more fun when things aren't one sided.

Edited by dgambill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I look at teams that are a flash in the pan with one and dones....have big recruiting classes but haven't built a foundation around them and then the momentum fizzles out. The kid is there and gone and hasn't really improved the team. There is a fine line of building a program and then just landing a bunch of one and dones...and even getting them to take a back seat and not want to be the focus all the time is difficult too. I still want great recruits....but I realize like a seesaw...it's a lot more fun when things aren't one sided.

Baylor comes to mind as possibly fitting the description of getting some big recruits, having some success and then fizzling out.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know that calipari’s personality is built to coach guys who aren’t one and done anymore! His whole sales pitch is I’ll develop you enough in one year to get you highly drafted but I feel his overall resume with teams he coached who weren’t a one and done style program isn’t the greatest!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you go after the best recruits that meet or fit your need.  Just because Indiana has a 5* recruits doesn't mean they fit what you want to do a team. That is the Kentucky Model.  I like the find the high 4/5* that will make your team better and focus on those.

Just my 2 cents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I don’t know that calipari’s personality is built to coach guys who aren’t one and done anymore! His whole sales pitch is I’ll develop you enough in one year to get you highly drafted but I feel his overall resume with teams he coached who weren’t a one and done style program isn’t the greatest!!!

I think he will still get major recruits...even if they aren't one and done or straight to the NBA type. Cal is very good at some things. He is good about getting kids to put their egos aside and trust him to do what is right by them. He is very good at relating to these kids and convincing them he is there for them...and they aren't there for the University. He certainly struggles with his X and Os and I'm not sure he is an excellent developer of talent ...these kids already have a ton of that...but he gets them to play together and they usually learn to play pretty good defense. That said Cal has a loaded team this year...he has the same amount of NCs as Tubby. If he can't do more with the talent he is given then one has to wonder if he is achieving the goals of the University or just his players goals.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recruiting the state is of utmost importance. It’s a hotbed for basketball talent. If IU wants to be successful year in and year out, the state is #1 priority

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Recruiting the state is of utmost importance. It’s a hotbed for basketball talent. If IU wants to be successful year in and year out, the state is #1 priority

Except in 2020.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Yes that’s a down year. Few and far between

It doesn't have elite talent but it has a couple pieces you can add as nice 4 year foundational pieces. You gotta have 4 year players mixed with burger boys. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Except in 2020.

Yeah the kid from Culver and the one from BSouth are about the only ones I'd even look at.  We're only losing Deron and Devonte I believe though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think he will still get major recruits...even if they aren't one and done or straight to the NBA type. Cal is very good at some things. He is good about getting kids to put their egos aside and trust him to do what is right by them. He is very good at relating to these kids and convincing them he is there for them...and they aren't there for the University. He certainly struggles with his X and Os and I'm not sure he is an excellent developer of talent ...these kids already have a ton of that...but he gets them to play together and they usually learn to play pretty good defense. That said Cal has a loaded team this year...he has the same amount of NCs as Tubby. If he can't do more with the talent he is given then one has to wonder if he is achieving the goals of the University or just his players goals.

I definitely think you make some great points and almost piggy back off of what I was saying but with better explanations. So when I said he’s not built for multi year players that’s exactly what I meant when you elaborated on the x’s anfd o’s.... if he loses the one and done types to the nba I don’t think he can develop the tier 2 players he would have to get!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I definitely think you make some great points and almost piggy back off of what I was saying but with better explanations. So when I said he’s not built for multi year players that’s exactly what I meant when you elaborated on the x’s anfd o’s.... if he loses the one and done types to the nba I don’t think he can develop the tier 2 players he would have to get!

Yeah there will always be one and dones. They just will be the 5 stars that don’t go straight to pros. But I agree...things only get more difficult for Cal...that said I think he gets his 2nd championship this year. He brought in a ton of shooters (which I think he has neglected for athletes) and I think he goes 3 guard and add that to the veteran bigs he got coming back and the transfer from Stanford...he better get it done...he will have no excuse. That loss to Kansas State was embarrassing.

Edited by dgambill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah there will always be one and dones. They just will be the 5 stars that don’t go straight to pros. But I agree...things only get more difficult for Cal...that said I think he gets his 2nd championship this year. He brought in a ton of shooters (which I think he has neglected for athletes) and I think he goes 3 guard and add that to the veteran bigs he got coming back and the transfer from Stanford...he better get it done...he will have no excuse. That loss to Kansas State was embarrassing.

Here’s the thing about Cal! I’ve heard his interviews and he is an entitled selfish jerk who knows he beats the system. I will say if I knew he was genuine in caring for his players then he’d gain back some respect points. But I have no way to tell with him what is and isn’t a show!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 5 championships said:

It doesn't have elite talent but it has a couple pieces you can add as nice 4 year foundational pieces. You gotta have 4 year players mixed with burger boys. 

My only argument to that is we are still two years out and you never know who is going to all of a sudden breakout. Think about where DJ Carton and Brandon Newman were this time last year!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

My only argument to that is we are still two years out and you never know who is going to all of a sudden breakout. Think about where DJ Carton and Brandon Newman were this time last year!!

Correct!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Here’s the thing about Cal! I’ve heard his interviews and he is an entitled selfish jerk who knows he beats the system. I will say if I knew he was genuine in caring for his players then he’d gain back some respect points. But I have no way to tell with him what is and isn’t a show!

Oh it's impossible to know how much he truly cares. He is a very slick cat and I agree after seeing his interactions at the local hoops fest probably not as genuine as he plays it. (There were tons of kids lined up for his autograph that looked up to him and he never talked to any just signed and ignored them while talking to his assistant and then left early while Self stayed and took photos and interacted with them). I hear all his interviews being down here because of his radio show is on everywhere but he does appear to have a player first program. To me it's all about getting a player to the NBA. He catches a lot of flack from the older UK crowd because he has openly said his primary goal is to put kids in the NBA. Whatever the case he wins over these kids trust...that much can't be denied. His connections in the NBA helps him whether with his former players or personnel from his time there. Whether they should or not, kids trust him....how much is real with those relationships and how much is car salesman...hard to say...the only time I feel like he is being phony is when he starts talking the X&O's of a game and why he made decisions etc...it's clear he is not exactly being honest with interviewer etc. He is super image conscious...so what is an act and what is the truth...impossible for me to tell. At UK he doesn't have to do much underhandedness to get kids. Doesn't mean boosters and friends of the program aren't...or the shoe companies and the handlers and recruiters aren't....but at this point Cal doesn't have to get his hands dirty much. Real or not..he has built his brand and it sells to these kids. No doubt about that. I feel you though...definitely like a snake oil salesman vibe there for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Oh it's impossible to know how much he truly cares. He is a very slick cat and I agree after seeing his interactions at the local hoops fest probably not as genuine as he plays it. (There were tons of kids lined up for his autograph that looked up to him and he never talked to any just signed and ignored them while talking to his assistant and then left early while Self stayed and took photos and interacted with them). I hear all his interviews being down here because of his radio show is on everywhere but he does appear to have a player first program. To me it's all about getting a player to the NBA. He catches a lot of flack from the older UK crowd because he has openly said his primary goal is to put kids in the NBA. Whatever the case he wins over these kids trust...that much can't be denied. His connections in the NBA helps him whether with his former players or personnel from his time there. Whether they should or not, kids trust him....how much is real with those relationships and how much is car salesman...hard to say...the only time I feel like he is being phony is when he starts talking the X&O's of a game and why he made decisions etc...it's clear he is not exactly being honest with interviewer etc. He is super image conscious...so what is an act and what is the truth...impossible for me to tell. At UK he doesn't have to do much underhandedness to get kids. Doesn't mean boosters and friends of the program aren't...or the shoe companies and the handlers and recruiters aren't....but at this point Cal doesn't have to get his hands dirty much. Real or not..he has built his brand and it sells to these kids. No doubt about that. I feel you though...definitely like a snake oil salesman vibe there for sure!

“Come to UK, play with five other 5 star guys, get to the NBA, and oh, probably get to the elite 8, maybe final four. We won’t win it bc we never have any experience, but hey, we’ll get close.”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We must feel our relationships with him are good. Coach and Race perhaps...because as good as recruiting has been it's hard to see us winning over Duke, UNC, KU, and UK without a really good reason to still be fighting and spending recruiting focus on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×