Matthew Hurt Commits to Duke

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Namnik said:

I really thought the same about Tayshaun Prince. 

Durant too. He couldn’t bench 185. There’s the infamous Cowherd rant where he makes a total ass of himself with his hot take.

The poster does have a point with Hurts frame though. Personally, I’d take the 100k and tell the corrupt NCAA to do one, but I’ve been called unorthodox a time or two lol.

4 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Durant too. He couldn’t bench 185. There’s the infamous Cowherd rant where he makes a total ass of himself with his hot take.

The poster does have a point with Hurts frame though. Personally, I’d take the 100k and tell the corrupt NCAA to do one, but I’ve been called unorthodox a time or two lol.

The 100k is almost irrelevant. At 18 and after taxes, agents, some bad decisions, and the people around you, it’s not going to last very long. The key to all this is how much can a kid one year removed from high school that the masses don’t know and is playing for the Erie Bayhawks commands in the endorsement market? 

I think Bazely kid got a $1 million deal from New Balance, with an option for an additional $14 million. The option is New Balance’s to exercise though, so I’m assuming it’s tied to being on an NBA roster and/or being a first round pick, or something like that. 

It will be up to every kid to balance whether that is better than going to a Syracuse, Duke, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, etc. and building a brand in front of the masses, playing on ESPN, FS1, and CBS 30 nights a year, and having Dickie V, Bilas, Dakich, Jay Williams, etc. touting how good you are. 

Does the kid going to college command more dollars as a rookie in the NBA because he’s develop a brand, and if so how wide is the gap? Those are the key questions. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The 100k is almost irrelevant. At 18 and after taxes, agents, some bad decisions, and the people around you, it’s not going to last very long. The key to all this is how much can a kid one year removed from high school that the masses don’t know and is playing for the Erie Bayhawks commands in the endorsement market? 

I think Bazely kid got a $1 million deal from New Balance, with an option for an additional $14 million. The option is New Balance’s to exercise though, so I’m assuming it’s tied to being on an NBA roster and/or being a first round pick, or something like that. 

It will be up to every kid to balance whether that is better than going to a Syracuse, Duke, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, etc. and building a brand in front of the masses, playing on ESPN, FS1, and CBS 30 nights a year, and having Dickie V, Bilas, Dakich, Jay Williams, etc. touting how good you are. 

Does the kid going to college command more dollars as a rookie in the NBA because he’s develop a brand, and if so how wide is the gap? Those are the key questions. 

I think the biggest issue in the college vs. G League debate, aside from exposure, is that the vast majority of even 5 star prospects just aren’t going to be ready to compete at the G League level.  G League players are a bunch of grown men who were some of the best players in college.  Without the benefit of at least a year in a college strength training program and playing against college competition, players like Bazley just aren’t going to be physically able to compete in the G League straight out of high school.  And that’s only going to hurt their draft stock.  

Take Romeo for example — he’s a consensus lottery pick at this point, and I’m not even sure he’d be ready to play in the G League right now.  I would bet that a year at IU will be better for his draft stock than a year in the G League would be.

14 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think the biggest issue in the college vs. G League debate, aside from exposure, is that the vast majority of even 5 star prospects just aren’t going to be ready to compete at the G League level.  G League players are a bunch of grown men who were some of the best players in college.  Without the benefit of at least a year in a college strength training program and playing against college competition, players like Bazley just aren’t going to be physically able to compete in the G League straight out of high school.  And that’s only going to hurt their draft stock.  

Take Romeo for example — he’s a consensus lottery pick at this point, and I’m not even sure he’d be ready to play in the G League right now.  I would bet that a year at IU will be better for his draft stock than a year in the G League would be.

Agreed, I watched a Mad Ants game a couple years back and those G League rosters were filled with four and five star college studs (Adrieane Payne, etc.). Guys that are 4-5 years older with still a ton of talent based on their initial rivals rankings that would eat up many high school 5 stars for lunch I suspect.  

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'd like to see Hurt play for the Gophers. Keep some talent in the conference and I'm not worried about MN ever becoming a major threat.

I actually think Minnesota might be the surprise team of the big ten this year.  If they had any other coach I would think about picking them to win the conference.

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually think Minnesota might be the surprise team of the big ten this year.  If they had any other coach I would think about picking them to win the conference.

They better have a good season.........or lil Ricky is gonna have some splaining to do.

42 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why?  We spanked them by 20 last season.

Wasn't like their top 2 or 3 guys out against us last year. I know their season was destroyed by injuries. I don't think their coach is very good and if he had a more stable situation they have a wealth of talent coming out of that state lately. They just can't keep their best....ala IU not too many years ago.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Why?  We spanked them by 20 last season.

What does that have to do with this year and you do realize that they were without 3 of their top players last year.  Two of those players will be back and when they were healthy two years ago they won 25 games.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What does that have to do with this year and you do realize that they were without 3 of their top players last year.  Two of those players will be back and when they were healthy two years ago they won 25 games.

Was there a coaching change?  Then I ain't buying it.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Wasn't like their top 2 or 3 guys out against us last year. I know their season was destroyed by injuries. I don't think their coach is very good and if he had a more stable situation they have a wealth of talent coming out of that state lately. They just can't keep their best....ala IU not too many years ago.

I think Coffee was injured and another player gone for disciplinary reasons, but yeah...I'm convinced they have the worst coach in the conference.

57 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Coffee was injured and another player gone for disciplinary reasons, but yeah...I'm convinced they have the worst coach in the conference.

But they very well might have the best strippers....the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.  Just sayin'

• 2 weeks later...

Guy is talented that is for sure. Perfect stretch four.  I think he get abused inside and on the boards but pair him with a bruiser big and he would be killer. Kid seems to want to be a one and done for sure. I'd say he ends up at Kansas or Duke....I don't think he messes around with his desires to go pro by putting his career in Little Ricky's hands.

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Guy is talented that is for sure. Perfect stretch four.  I think he get abused inside and on the boards but pair him with a bruiser big and he would be killer. Kid seems to want to be a one and done for sure. I'd say he ends up at Kansas or Duke....I don't think he messes around with his desires to go pro by putting his career in Little Ricky's hands.

Yeah, the Gophers really haven't had much NBA success since Kevin McHale.  No way would I play for Little Ricky if I wanted to play in the NBA.

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, the Gophers really haven't had much NBA success since Kevin McHale.  No way would I play for Little Ricky if I wanted to play in the NBA.

Yeah...I mean I think it was the year I graduated high school since they had guys go to the nba of any decency. 1997 when they went to the Final 4...Bobby Jackson and Quincy Lewis. Jackson had an ok career. I do remember Willie Burton and Vashon Leonard back in the early 90s....but yeah...that's a long time to ago and not much of a list to trust the process lol.

Archived