Analytics ruining sports?

rico

Just for Scott(Love ya Bro).

Metrics have infected the games we love.  Been hearing a lot of discussion on this lately from HS basketball announcers to MLB radio guys.  Starting, IMO, to become a ground swell of "experts" that don't much care for them.  I did find this dated article on it.  Hope it loads....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/aug/16/sports-nerds-analytics-data

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pitching changes don't bother me, but I do think managers over-think things.  For me, if I have a stud right-hander and a mediocre left-hander at my disposal in a key spot, I'm going to use the stud right-hander regardless of who is coming to the plate.  I don't care if it's Babe Ruth stepping into the batter's box.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Pitching changes don't bother me, but I do think managers over-think things.  For me, if I have a stud right-hander and a mediocre left-hander at my disposal in a key spot, I'm going to use the stud right-hander regardless of who is coming to the plate.  I don't care if it's Babe Ruth stepping into the batter's box.

I believe the babe could hit from either side

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They over think things because of what the metrics are telling them.

Speaking of the Babe and statistics.  This type of reporting on stats bothers me.  Albert Pujols supposedly passed Ruth in career RBI's this week.  But, that's only because RBI was not an official stat until 1920.  All the RBI's Ruth accumulated from 1914-1919 are not part of this stat.  In reality, Ruth still has a healthy lead on Pujols if you count those years.

40 minutes ago, rico said:

Just for Scott(Love ya Bro).

Metrics have infected the games we love.  Been hearing a lot of discussion on this lately from HS basketball announcers to MLB radio guys.  Starting, IMO, to become a ground swell of "experts" that don't much care for them.  I did find this dated article on it.  Hope it loads....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/aug/16/sports-nerds-analytics-data

Actually on Redsfanzone there is a discussion about how it is ruining baseball and that the game is getting worse because of it.  They was talking about how it is just homeruns, walks and strikeouts and it is taking away the rest of what made baseball great.  Talking about how this year that batting average is way down but homeruns are was up.  Also talking about how the shifts are really making the game unwatchable because it is taking away a lot of hits but now they are being caught.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

They over think things because of what the metrics are telling them.

I miss actually seeing complete games and starting pitching going more than 5 or 6 innings. One of the best games I ever watched was game 7 of the 91 World series between the Twins and the braves.  The game ended 1-0 in 10 innings and Jake Morris pitched a complete game shutout.  To me there seems way ore injuries today than there were in the past even though they are babying the pitchers today.  Guys use to pitch 300 innings a year and probably pitched over 120 pitches a game but seemed to make it though the year.  Right now the Yankees have 13 players on the DL and it is hard to figure out why injuries are up

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually on Redsfanzone there is a discussion about how it is ruining baseball and that the game is getting worse because of it.  They was talking about how it is just homeruns, walks and strikeouts and it is taking away the rest of what made baseball great.  Talking about how this year that batting average is way down but homeruns are was up.  Also talking about how the shifts are really making the game unwatchable because it is taking away a lot of hits but now they are being caught.

I saw that thread this morning.  There was also a guy talking about how all the NBA has become is 3's and dunks.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I truly think we're not too far away from having a rule where there has to be 2 infielders on either side of 2nd base.  the shifting has gotten that ridiculous.  

Thanks for the evidence but I would have taken your word on it

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I truly think we're not too far away from having a rule where there has to be 2 infielders on either side of 2nd base.  the shifting has gotten that ridiculous.  

Have you seen the defensive alignment that the reds have put in this year.  They are putting 4 guys in the outfield and only having 3 infielders.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I miss actually seeing complete games and starting pitching going more than 5 or 6 innings. One of the best games I ever watched was game 7 of the 91 World series between the Twins and the braves.  The game ended 1-0 in 10 innings and Jake Morris pitched a complete game shutout.  To me there seems way ore injuries today than there were in the past even though they are babying the pitchers today.  Guys use to pitch 300 innings a year and probably pitched over 120 pitches a game but seemed to make it though the year.  Right now the Yankees have 13 players on the DL and it is hard to figure out why injuries are up

That is sports medicine there......has nothing to do with metrics.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I saw that thread this morning.  There was also a guy talking about how all the NBA has become is 3's and dunks.

Totally agree with that.  also I liked some of the guys talking about how players should just bunt when they have the shift but they don't because it is not the right thing to do.  to me that is selfish if you don't take advantage of what the other team is giving you.

It has made me so made watching basketball now when instead of getting a fastbreak layup on a 3 on 1 they throw it out to take the 3.

1 minute ago, rico said:

That is sports medicine there......has nothing to do with metrics.

I just think the pitchers are not being trained right to pitch a lot of innings early so when they get to the minors they are not ready to throw many innings.  Also I think to many pitchers are trying to throw 100 instead of learning to pitch and they throw there arms out.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I just think the pitchers are not being trained right to pitch a lot of innings early so when they get to the minors they are not ready to throw many innings.  Also I think to many pitchers are trying to throw 100 instead of learning to pitch and they throw there arms out.

We have talked about that before.  There have been many a pitchers from the "old" days whose careers were cut short.  Heck, Billy Martin ruined an entire Oakland staff in one year.

Just now, rico said:

We have talked about that before.  There have been many a pitchers from the "old" days whose careers were cut short.  Heck, Billy Martin ruined an entire Oakland staff in one year.

I'm kind of with Scott on this one.  Pitchers are babied too much.  I'm not saying you should have them throw 200 pitches.  But, let them go beyond 5 or 6 innings every once in a while.  

Archived