Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
Steubenhoosier

The quest for Lord Stanley’s Cup

Recommended Posts

Not an NBA fan at all. For my money, the NHL playoffs far outweigh the NBA playoffs in excitement, intensity and action.

My two favorite teams are out, the Penguins in the first round, and the Blackhawks who never made it in. Rooting interest is for Columbus now, as the Blue Jackets have rarely made the playoffs, and John Tortorella is an excellent coach, not to mention that he once coached the Ft Wayne Komets.

So, fellow puck heads, who you got?

CBJ! CBJ! CBJ!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the NHL but for some reason rarely watch. Grew up in the shadow of Chicago so was a Hawks fan like you watching Stan Nikita and all!! But have to say after moving to Michigan and experiencing the love of the WINGS similar to the Indiana love of basketball, I'm a Red Wings fan!

Side note, while attending now TRINE in Angola, I got to watch a Komets game. One of the funest sports events I ever attended!

Edited by Drroogh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Like the NHL but for some reason rarely watch. Grew up in the shadow of Chicago so was a Hawks fan like you watching Stan Nikita and all!! But have to say after moving to Michigan and experiencing the love of the WINGS similar to the Indiana love of basketball, I'm a Red Wings fan!

Side note, while attending now TRINE in Angola, I got to watch a Komets game. One of the funest sports events I ever attended!

Not a Wings fan at all. Guess I root for the underdog often and they won too much for quite a long spell.

 I grew up with the Komets. Started skating when I was about 4-double blades and all. Played some travel hockey until that thing called work got in the way. Used to go to 30 or more games each season back when the IHL was two steps down from the NHL and there were only 12 teams at the highest level. Got to see some very highly skilled players and teams.

If I had to choose, attending the 7th game of the Stanley Cup finals would only come behind attending the National Championship game if IU was playing, for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a Wings fan at all. Guess I root for the underdog often and they won too much for quite a long spell.

 I grew up with the Komets. Started skating when I was about 4-double blades and all. Played some travel hockey until that thing called work got in the way. Used to go to 30 or more games each season back when the IHL was two steps down from the NHL and there were only 12 teams at the highest level. Got to see some very highly skilled players and teams.

If I had to choose, attending the 7th game of the Stanley Cup finals would only come behind attending the National Championship game if IU was playing, for me.

Love your passion! Personally I had weak ankles growing up  so Hockey was not a sport for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because being a Hoosiers fan isn't painful enough, I'm also a lifelong St Louis Blues fan. From the heyday of the Golden Brett to the ill-fated Gretzky trade to the 2000 flame out after winning the presidents trophy to a decade of pain.

This season though, nothing short of remarkable. Worst record to at least the 2nd round. Terrible performance today, but still, worse places to be than having a 2nd round series 1-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never watch hockey and have no interest in it but I don't really have ay interest in the NBA playoffs either.  The only hockey game I have ever watched was the 1980 Olympic hockey game against Russia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blues continue to dominate on the road. Now 4-0 on the road after  4-3 win in Big D. Halfway to their first conference finals since 2001.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Blues continue to dominate on the road. Now 4-0 on the road after  4-3 win in Big D. Halfway to their first conference finals since 2001.

Yep, crazy last 6-7 minutes last night.

Blues are sitting pretty right now, but don't rule the Stars out just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yep, crazy last 6-7 minutes last night.

Blues are sitting pretty right now, but don't rule the Stars out just yet.

I've been a Blues fan for 20+ years. I don't rule a team out until the next series starts. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Game 7 Tuesday in St. Louis. The entire season condensed to 1 game. Love it.

Nothing better than game 7 playoff hockey 🏒 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Game 7 Tuesday in St. Louis. The entire season condensed to 1 game. Love it.

Huge Blues fan here! What a whirlwind it’s been. Play like crap at home in Game 5 and then play so well in Dallas to even it back up! That slap shot from Parayko was filthy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Huge Blues fan here! What a whirlwind it’s been. Play like crap at home in Game 5 and then play so well in Dallas to even it back up! That slap shot from Parayko was filthy!

Gave me glorious flashbacks of when they'd put Hull and MacInnis on the points during a power play with orders of "Shoot as hard as you can". 

How many colors is Bishop's collarbone this morning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Gave me glorious flashbacks of when they'd put Hull and MacInnis on the points during a power play with orders of "Shoot as hard as you can". 

How many colors is Bishop's collarbone this morning?

7? Haha. I’m so glad the refs didn’t blow the whistle there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised he didn't pull his helmet off, which would have been an instant whistle.  Not that it took Schwartz all that long to find the more or less open net, but still.  Guess that's a testament to just how hard that shot was. 

And don't get me started on those 1st period penalties.  Even the radio guys were on the verge of rioting (which was kind of hilarious). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm surprised he didn't pull his helmet off, which would have been an instant whistle.  Not that it took Schwartz all that long to find the more or less open net, but still.  Guess that's a testament to just how hard that shot was. 

And don't get me started on those 1st period penalties.  Even the radio guys were on the verge of rioting (which was kind of hilarious). 

I love Kerbs! Macinnis has to have the hardest slap shot of any Blues player right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Macinnis has to have the hardest slap shot of any Blues player right?

Hull and MacInnis should have been known as the Bruise Brothers, in terms of getting in front of one of their shots. 

Overall shot speed, I'd probably go Mac by maybe 1-2 MPH.  Would have been more, but he never switched from a wooden stick to composite. 

Downside to Mac's shot was his huge windup.  Hull could get to max speed in a fraction of the time, and in traffic.

Either way, 2 of the top 10 of all time.  Hated it when they let Hull walk over something as petty as a no-trade clause. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Hull and MacInnis should have been known as the Bruise Brothers, in terms of getting in front of one of their shots. 

Overall shot speed, I'd probably go Mac by maybe 1-2 MPH.  Would have been more, but he never switched from a wooden stick to composite. 

Downside to Mac's shot was his huge windup.  Hull could get to max speed in a fraction of the time, and in traffic.

Either way, 2 of the top 10 of all time.  Hated it when they let Hull walk over something as petty as a no-trade clause. 

No doubt. I think the best d-pairing in terms of slapshots/offensive ability was Mac/Pronger. What a lethal combo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 5/5/2019 at 9:10 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Nothing better than game 7 playoff hockey 🏒 

Correction.  One thing is better than Game 7 playoff hockey: Game 7 overtime playoff hockey. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....calling Gloriaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

St. Louis native Pat Maroon in double overtime wins it for the Blues.  Bring the conference finals the hell on. 

Edited by Zlinedavid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

.....calling Gloriaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

St. Louis native Pat Maroon in double overtime wins it for the Blues.  Bring the conference finals the hell on. 

Was not able to watch any of the game last night, but saw the highlights this morning. Great for a local guy to score the game winner.

Sounds like Bishop about stood on his head to keep the Stars in the game. 52 saves on 54 shots is crazy good, especially after the shot he took on his clavicle the game before.

Will be interesting to see if the Sharks or the Avs can pull it out tonight. Either one, I think the Blues stand a good chance to advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...