The quest for Lord Stanley’s Cup

Not an NBA fan at all. For my money, the NHL playoffs far outweigh the NBA playoffs in excitement, intensity and action.

My two favorite teams are out, the Penguins in the first round, and the Blackhawks who never made it in. Rooting interest is for Columbus now, as the Blue Jackets have rarely made the playoffs, and John Tortorella is an excellent coach, not to mention that he once coached the Ft Wayne Komets.

So, fellow puck heads, who you got?

CBJ! CBJ! CBJ!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the NHL but for some reason rarely watch. Grew up in the shadow of Chicago so was a Hawks fan like you watching Stan Nikita and all!! But have to say after moving to Michigan and experiencing the love of the WINGS similar to the Indiana love of basketball, I'm a Red Wings fan!

Side note, while attending now TRINE in Angola, I got to watch a Komets game. One of the funest sports events I ever attended!

51 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Like the NHL but for some reason rarely watch. Grew up in the shadow of Chicago so was a Hawks fan like you watching Stan Nikita and all!! But have to say after moving to Michigan and experiencing the love of the WINGS similar to the Indiana love of basketball, I'm a Red Wings fan!

Side note, while attending now TRINE in Angola, I got to watch a Komets game. One of the funest sports events I ever attended!

Not a Wings fan at all. Guess I root for the underdog often and they won too much for quite a long spell.

I grew up with the Komets. Started skating when I was about 4-double blades and all. Played some travel hockey until that thing called work got in the way. Used to go to 30 or more games each season back when the IHL was two steps down from the NHL and there were only 12 teams at the highest level. Got to see some very highly skilled players and teams.

If I had to choose, attending the 7th game of the Stanley Cup finals would only come behind attending the National Championship game if IU was playing, for me.

46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a Wings fan at all. Guess I root for the underdog often and they won too much for quite a long spell.

I grew up with the Komets. Started skating when I was about 4-double blades and all. Played some travel hockey until that thing called work got in the way. Used to go to 30 or more games each season back when the IHL was two steps down from the NHL and there were only 12 teams at the highest level. Got to see some very highly skilled players and teams.

If I had to choose, attending the 7th game of the Stanley Cup finals would only come behind attending the National Championship game if IU was playing, for me.

Love your passion! Personally I had weak ankles growing up  so Hockey was not a sport for me. 

Because being a Hoosiers fan isn't painful enough, I'm also a lifelong St Louis Blues fan. From the heyday of the Golden Brett to the ill-fated Gretzky trade to the 2000 flame out after winning the presidents trophy to a decade of pain.

This season though, nothing short of remarkable. Worst record to at least the 2nd round. Terrible performance today, but still, worse places to be than having a 2nd round series 1-1.

15 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Game 7 Tuesday in St. Louis. The entire season condensed to 1 game. Love it.

Huge Blues fan here! What a whirlwind it’s been. Play like crap at home in Game 5 and then play so well in Dallas to even it back up! That slap shot from Parayko was filthy!

27 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Huge Blues fan here! What a whirlwind it’s been. Play like crap at home in Game 5 and then play so well in Dallas to even it back up! That slap shot from Parayko was filthy!

Gave me glorious flashbacks of when they'd put Hull and MacInnis on the points during a power play with orders of "Shoot as hard as you can". 

How many colors is Bishop's collarbone this morning?

23 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Gave me glorious flashbacks of when they'd put Hull and MacInnis on the points during a power play with orders of "Shoot as hard as you can". 

How many colors is Bishop's collarbone this morning?

7? Haha. I’m so glad the refs didn’t blow the whistle there too. 

I'm surprised he didn't pull his helmet off, which would have been an instant whistle.  Not that it took Schwartz all that long to find the more or less open net, but still.  Guess that's a testament to just how hard that shot was. 

And don't get me started on those 1st period penalties.  Even the radio guys were on the verge of rioting (which was kind of hilarious). 

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm surprised he didn't pull his helmet off, which would have been an instant whistle.  Not that it took Schwartz all that long to find the more or less open net, but still.  Guess that's a testament to just how hard that shot was. 

And don't get me started on those 1st period penalties.  Even the radio guys were on the verge of rioting (which was kind of hilarious). 

I love Kerbs! Macinnis has to have the hardest slap shot of any Blues player right?

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Macinnis has to have the hardest slap shot of any Blues player right?

Hull and MacInnis should have been known as the Bruise Brothers, in terms of getting in front of one of their shots. 

Overall shot speed, I'd probably go Mac by maybe 1-2 MPH.  Would have been more, but he never switched from a wooden stick to composite. 

Downside to Mac's shot was his huge windup.  Hull could get to max speed in a fraction of the time, and in traffic.

Either way, 2 of the top 10 of all time.  Hated it when they let Hull walk over something as petty as a no-trade clause. 

31 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Hull and MacInnis should have been known as the Bruise Brothers, in terms of getting in front of one of their shots. 

Overall shot speed, I'd probably go Mac by maybe 1-2 MPH.  Would have been more, but he never switched from a wooden stick to composite. 

Downside to Mac's shot was his huge windup.  Hull could get to max speed in a fraction of the time, and in traffic.

Either way, 2 of the top 10 of all time.  Hated it when they let Hull walk over something as petty as a no-trade clause. 

No doubt. I think the best d-pairing in terms of slapshots/offensive ability was Mac/Pronger. What a lethal combo. 

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

.....calling Gloriaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

St. Louis native Pat Maroon in double overtime wins it for the Blues.  Bring the conference finals the hell on. 

Was not able to watch any of the game last night, but saw the highlights this morning. Great for a local guy to score the game winner.

Sounds like Bishop about stood on his head to keep the Stars in the game. 52 saves on 54 shots is crazy good, especially after the shot he took on his clavicle the game before.

Will be interesting to see if the Sharks or the Avs can pull it out tonight. Either one, I think the Blues stand a good chance to advance. 

Archived