The quest for Lord Stanley’s Cup

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blues won a big one yesterday, for sure. But in all fairness, with Hertl, Pavelski and Karlsson all injured, and two more guys ejected, the Sharks had no chance.

From all appearances, it looks like the two teams have gone in opposite directions since the blown hand pass call. The Blues have circled the wagons and seemed to be rejuvenated by the missed call, while the Sharks have regressed.

As the saying goes, winning the 4th game is always the hardest. The Blues are going to get San Jose's best shot. Should make for a great game 6.

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

But in all fairness, with Hertl, Pavelski and Karlsson all injured, and two more guys ejected, the Sharks had no chance.

Karma paying us back for Game 3. 

And Karma paying Karlsson back for his Game 3 postgame comments. 

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Blues won a big one yesterday, for sure. But in all fairness, with Hertl, Pavelski and Karlsson all injured, and two more guys ejected, the Sharks had no chance.

From all appearances, it looks like the two teams have gone in opposite directions since the blown hand pass call. The Blues have circled the wagons and seemed to be rejuvenated by the missed call, while the Sharks have regressed.

As the saying goes, winning the 4th game is always the hardest. The Blues are going to get San Jose's best shot. Should make for a great game 6.

Karlsson probably shouldn’t have even played in the game. The other guys got hurt after the game was already in hand. Sharks started getting chippy toward the end but the Blues kept their composure. 

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Karlsson probably shouldn’t have even played in the game. The other guys got hurt after the game was already in hand. Sharks started getting chippy toward the end but the Blues kept their composure. 

Ultimately, I'm glad they kept their heads, but a small part of me was wishing we had a Tony Twist or Basil McRae to send out there during the last two minutes. That probably would have provoked some fisticuffs vs preventing any, but still....

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Ultimately, I'm glad they kept their heads, but a small part of me was wishing we had a Tony Twist or Basil McRae to send out there during the last two minutes. That probably would have provoked some fisticuffs vs preventing any, but still....

Nerves are starting to set in for me haha. How are you feeling?

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Or Bob Gassoff (I know...a little before your time, but one of the toughest dudes that ever played in the NHL...Met an untimely death in 1977)

GLORIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47 years in the making. 

On January 3, this team had the worst record in the NHL.  They made no significant deadline deals.  No significant mid-season acquisitions.  The same group of players just finally clicked. 

To those that may say that it's impossible for the same group of players to just suddenly turn around and be successful (hint: they'll be wearing candystriped pants this fall), no, it isn't. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm playing Gloria and Shipping Up To Boston on repeat until Monday. Yes, that's a musical combination that's akin to a peanut butter and tuna sandwich, but I don't really care.

As I said, I've seen quite a few Blues games. Not really a fan (and really don't root for any NHL team. Like the game though) but I have 2 very good friends that are, in a word, fanatics. Called them both last night to congratulate.  Woke one up ("I went to bed when it was 5-1") and the other was pretty toasted but deliriously happy. I'll be rooting for the Blue Notes because of them.

I will say this, the Blues at one point had the best play-by-play guy I've ever heard in any sport...Dan Kelly.

Just now, IUFLA said:

As I said, I've seen quite a few Blues games. Not really a fan (and really don't root for any NHL team. Like the game though) but I have 2 very good friends that are, in a word, fanatics. Called th hem both last night to congratulate.  Woke one up ("I went to bed when it was 5-1") and the other was pretty toasted but deliriously happy. I'll be rooting for the Blue Notes because of them.

I will say this, the Blues at one point had th he best play-by-play guy I've ever heard in any sport...Dan Kelly.

I wasn't a fan until about 4 years after he passed, but I've heard plenty of his archived calls and yes, he's up there.

I do remember listening to  his son (also Dan) and Joe Micheletti, who were a great duo. Kerber is working his way up my list of favorites though. He's very much like Don Fischer in how he lets just a little bit of the fan in him come through. Quote From Game 5: "...whistled for a hand pass.....aaaand that's all I'm going to say on that subject."

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I wasn't a fan until about 4 years after he passed, but I've heard plenty of his archived calls and yes, he's up there.

I do remember listening to  his son (also Dan) and Joe Micheletti, who were a great duo. Kerber is working his way up my list of favorites though. He's very much like Don Fischer in how he lets just a little bit of the fan in him come through. Quote From Game 5: "...whistled for a hand pass.....aaaand that's all I'm going to say on that subject."

Does Dan have multiple sons? I know his son John is the play by play TV announcer for the Blues on FS-Midwest. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Does Dan have multiple sons? I know his son John is the play by play TV announcer for the Blues on FS-Midwest. 

Affirmative. Dan P. and John are brothers.

Always thought it was cool that they have the shamrock hanging with the retired numbers to honor Kelly.

Great game for the Blues, and great series win. to think that Binnington was kicking around in Kalamazoo in the ECHL not too long ago, is crazy.

Not a Blues fan, but will be pulling for them, as I really don't want to see the Bruins win. Hope they shut Marchand completely down, and hope they make Chara look as old as he is. That being said, between Kracji, Pasternak, and Bergeron, they have some elite front-line talent. Blues will be challenged to keep them under control.

Never heard Dan Kelly, so can't compare. However, for my money, Doc Emerich is the best play-by-play announcer, not only in hockey, but in all of sports. To think that he grew up in a little town just outside of Ft. Wayne, and practiced his trade by "announcing" Komet games, is amazing. He and I are close to the same age, and I am certain we probably attended the same games.

28 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Great game for the Blues, and great series win. to think that Binnington was kicking around in Kalamazoo in the ECHL not too long ago, is crazy.

Not a Blues fan, but will be pulling for them, as I really don't want to see the Bruins win. Hope they shut Marchand completely down, and hope they make Chara look as old as he is. That being said, between Kracji, Pasternak, and Bergeron, they have some elite front-line talent. Blues will be challenged to keep them under control.

Never heard Dan Kelly, so can't compare. However, for my money, Doc Emerich is the best play-by-play announcer, not only in hockey, but in all of sports. To think that he grew up in a little town just outside of Ft. Wayne, and practiced his trade by "announcing" Komet games, is amazing. He and I are close to the same age, and I am certain we probably attended the same games.

Blues aren’t where they are without Binnington. Jake Allen wouldn’t have been able to come anywhere close to this. 

No doubt re Emrick. That guy is unreal!

Berube and Binnington better be on the receiving end of loooong contracts in about 3 weeks.

And holy crap, I just looked up Chara's age.  He's 3 years older than Thornton, and looks 10 years younger.  Thornton's Methusela beard wasn't doing him any favors. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Berube and Binnington better be on the receiving end of loooong contracts in about 3 weeks.

And holy crap, I just looked up Chara's age.  He's 3 years older than Thornton, and looks 10 years younger.  Thornton's Methusela beard wasn't doing him any favors. 

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/04/03/zdeno-chara-boston-bruins-playoffs

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’ve no joke listened to Gloria like 50 times today. It’s playing for 24 hours straight on Y98 haha. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’ve no joke listened to Gloria like 50 times today. It’s playing for 24 hours straight on Y98 haha. 

I'm playing Gloria and Shipping Up to Boston back to back. Laura Brannigan and Dropkick Murphys.....eclectic.

Archived