Must listen podcast

Didn’t know where to put this and not sure if it has been brought up already, but the 3 hour Rabjohn’s interview on Hoosier Hysterics is a must listen. 

They pretty much dive into it all but I found the CTC stuff particularly interesting. They get into the infamous Kyrie Irving in home visit. Rabby also dishes about how CTC would call him late at night to complain what was being posted on message boards. 🤔

really, I'm a bit more relieved that the decision to move on from Crean was made after listening to some of his stories. 

Some good recruiting talk as well.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-peegs-podcast/id1068580040?i=1000436148857

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoosier Hysterics is an awesome podcast overall. This one is especially great. I love the insight Rabjohn provided because most insiders don't want to "bad mouth" former coaches and players. The parts I found most enlightening were CTC recruiting philosophy (or lack there of), Sampson years, and IU administrations lack of respect to athletics. 

I would definitely consider this a must listen. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Didn’t know where to put this and not sure if it has been brought up already, but the 3 hour Rabjohn’s interview on Hoosier Hysterics is a must listen. 

They pretty much dive into it all but I found the CTC stuff particularly interesting. They get into the infamous Kyrie Irving in home visit. Rabby also dishes about how CTC would call him late at night to complain what was being posted on message boards. 🤔

really, I'm a bit more relieved that the decision to move on from Crean was made after listening to some of his stories. 

Some good recruiting talk as well.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-peegs-podcast/id1068580040?i=1000436148857

Thanks for the link.  Had to load it to my ITunes to be able to listen.   Thanks , again. 

This should be mandatory listening for IU fans. Tons of little gaps about the last 15 years filled in.

Just a few nuggets:

"Was there anyone else aside from Crean being considered?" "John Beilein" #fml

"Kyle Guy loved Indiana and IU basketball" #fml-again

Both of the following can be and are true: Sampson needed to be fired when he was. IU massively overreacted when it came to the fallout and self-reporting.

He didn't put it in as many words, but I interpreted that he thinks that no coach is 100% clean. Crean may have operated in some grey areas according to the letter of the law, but most fans/media might not even recognize them as grey areas.

Crean's time was also up.

Some (not all, but some) of the heat being thrown towards Fred Glass needs to be shifted to Michael McRobbie. Not saying that Glass is absolved of everything, but it's hard to succeed when a huge chunk of the money his department is bringing in is being redirected away before he could even use it.

22 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Both of the following can be and are true: Sampson needed to be fired when he was. IU massively overreacted when it came to the fallout and self-reporting.

Elaborating: Kyle Guy and CTC were like oil and water. He also didn’t match personality-wise with Gary Harris Jr. 

regarding Sampson - wow. I knew the culture was bad but I didn’t know how bad. Rabby makes it sound like people were already looking for reasons to get rid of Sampson BEFORE the phone calls. People were even thinking about calling cops on players to bust them (eluded to selling drugs). It was so bad the Eric Gordon had to stay off campus with family friends. 

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

This should be mandatory listening for IU fans. Tons of little gaps about the last 15 years filled in.

Just a few nuggets:

"Was there anyone else aside from Crean being considered?" "John Beilein" #fml

He didn't put it in as many words, but I interpreted that he thinks that no coach is 100% clean. Crean may have operated in some grey areas according to the letter of the law, but most fans/media might not even recognize them as grey areas.

Crean's time was also up.

Some (not all, but some) of the heat being thrown towards Fred Glass needs to be shifted to Michael McRobbie. Not saying that Glass is absolved of everything, but it's hard to succeed when a huge chunk of the money his department is bringing in is being redirected away before he could even use it.

Agreed on the point about Mcrobbie (and others) at the highest positions trying to undermine/lessen the basketball prominence at IU. Somewhat puzzling why they think downplaying athletics would help with academics. The reverse is actually true at Power 5 schools. Well documented that success in major sports brings with it national attention and an increase in the student applicant pool to choose from. 

Also, I enjoyed hearing about who is really in power when it comes to rule making. The NCAA is basically a decision less organization. All the power resides with the universities. Makes a bit more sense why they can never uncover all the rule breaking. Bury their heads in sand and let the dollars stack up.

And one more little tidbit: Rabby and Ernest "Big E" Watford are tight. Real tight. As in they trade texts back and forth about such BS as grilling.

A) If Trendon takes an OV, Rabby thinks it will be after May 4.

B) Towards the end of the podcast: "Would you fall out of your chair if Trendon Watford took an official visit to Indiana and committed to Indiana after?" "No."

41 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And one more little tidbit: Rabby and Ernest "Big E" Watford are tight. Real tight. As in they trade texts back and forth about such BS as grilling.

A) If Trendon takes an OV, Rabby thinks it will be after May 4.

B) Towards the end of the podcast: "Would you fall out of your chair if Trendon Watford took an official visit to Indiana and committed to Indiana after?" "No."

Also, when Crean was still there, the Watford's called and said they wanted to come to Hoosier Hysteria (his sophomore year I believe). IU never even called back. 

1 minute ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Also, when Crean was still there, the Watford's called and said they wanted to come to Hoosier Hysteria (his sophomore year I believe). IU never even called back. 

How the hell Trendon was not Crean's #1 priority from his freshman year is beyond me.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

To be fair, he was probably told early on that he had absolutely no chance with Romeo.  

Not a reflection on you.  However,  I can't conceive of not going after Romeo.  Unless the Langford's flat out told Crean to stay away.  And... then Coach Miller comes in late to snag Romeo.  Yes.... it has been said before.... Coach Crean's personality did not sit well with many HS coaches in Indiana.  Much less missing out on an out of state recruit... for over flowing the toilet on an in-home. Oh my. That in-home was filled with a ton of excitement.    LOL.

Great podcast. Glad to hear the real story about Crean-Irving in home visit. 

Crean inability to focus on a recruit, and constantly changing focus is a testimony to why recruiting under him was so broad. He couldn’t make up his mind, and it cost him. 

Nice to hear Rabby say he thinks Archie is the guy and the fan base needs to be more patient than year 2 or 3. 

33 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Great podcast. Glad to hear the real story about Crean-Irving I’m home visit. 

Crean inability to focus on a recruit and constantly changing focus is a testimony to why recruiting under him was so broad. He couldn’t make up his mind, and it cost him. 

Nice to hear Rabby day he thinks Archie is the guy and the fan base needs to be more patient than year 2 or 3. 

Can you post the cliff notes of the Irving in home visit?

10 minutes ago, BDB said:

Can you post the cliff notes of the Irving in home visit?

Rabjohn's says he was told this from someone but doesn't say who:

- An assistant who was a former Duke player was with CTC.

- This assistant coach was talking up Duke and how he enjoyed his experiences there. CTC did not like this "lack of loyalty"

- CTC then left to go compose himself. He came back and Kyrie's father asked a question. 

- In response to this question, there was back and forth between CTC and the assistant. Basically having an argument in front of Kyrie and his family. 

- At that point, the Irving's decided IU is not the place for them. 

- All the other stories (CTC blowing up the bathroom, etc.) are not true.

13 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

- An assistant who was a former Duke player was with CTC.

- This assistant coach was talking up Duke and how he enjoyed his experiences there. CTC did not like this "lack of loyalty"

- CTC then left to go compose himself. He came back and Kyrie's father asked a question. 

- In response to this question, there was back and forth between CTC and the assistant. Basically having an argument in front of Kyrie and his family. 

- At that point, the Irving's decided IU is not the place for them. 

I have to wonder a) why the assistant did that and b) how Crean didn't have the self control to unleash on his assistant in the car AFTER they left.

I remember we had a very good shot at Kyrie at that time. If I recall correctly, no schools were really looking at him when Crean found him - and then he blew up. 

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I have to wonder a) why the assistant did that and b) how Crean didn't have the self control to unleash on his assistant in the car AFTER they left.

I remember we had a very good shot at Kyrie at that time. If I recall correctly, no schools were really looking at him when Crean found him - and then he blew up. 

IIRC the Kyrie visit was in Sept or October of 2009. Roshown was fired March 2010. If that series of events did happen and he was on my staff he isn't making it to the regular season. 

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

The assistant coach was Roshown McLeod. What Rabjohns said was common knowledge then, as to what went down. McLeod was way, way out of line in the way he talked up Duke, during an IU visit, and then argued with Crean in front of the Irvings. Just ridiculous. It was a two-horse race between IU and Duke, and McLeod blew it.

4 hours ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Yep.  That's how things go down in American Legend.  IU BB not with standing.  A story that will be told for years and years.  True or not true. The legend lives on.  LOL

Archived