Must listen podcast

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Unfortunately, it was probably cooked up by some of our own (not HSN) who hated Crean so much they would say or believe anything to make him look bad. 

You're likely right but my explanation makes me laugh so I'm going with that.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:31 AM, GoshenFan84 said:

Rabjohn's says he was told this from someone but doesn't say who:

- An assistant who was a former Duke player was with CTC.

- This assistant coach was talking up Duke and how he enjoyed his experiences there. CTC did not like this "lack of loyalty"

- CTC then left to go compose himself. He came back and Kyrie's father asked a question. 

- In response to this question, there was back and forth between CTC and the assistant. Basically having an argument in front of Kyrie and his family. 

- At that point, the Irving's decided IU is not the place for them. 

- All the other stories (CTC blowing up the bathroom, etc.) are not true.

They talked about the toilet story? 

ROFL

On 4/28/2019 at 2:45 PM, tdhoosier said:

Elaborating: Kyle Guy and CTC were like oil and water. He also didn’t match personality-wise with Gary Harris Jr. 

regarding Sampson - wow. I knew the culture was bad but I didn’t know how bad. Rabby makes it sound like people were already looking for reasons to get rid of Sampson BEFORE the phone calls. People were even thinking about calling cops on players to bust them (eluded to selling drugs). It was so bad the Eric Gordon had to stay off campus with family friends. 

Just got through that section of the podcast (thanks for the recommendation) and yeah...was enlightening. He made it very clear...Sampson was NOT fired because of too many text messages. That was simply the pretext to get rid of a coach that had a terrible culture (:cheers:) at IU. Sounds like some "associates" of players were dealing drugs at IU, players were not going to class, showing up drunk at drug tests and laughing about it...just some awful culture issues around the team during Sampson's reign.  Absolutely why Tyler Zeller crossed IU off his list after a disastrous official visit.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:06 PM, Seeking6 said:

IIRC the Kyrie visit was in Sept or October of 2009. Roshown was fired March 2010. If that series of events did happen and he was on my staff he isn't making it to the regular season. 

If he was on my staff he would not have made it on the plane back home.

24 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

Just curious, what exactly happened during Tyler's official visit?

Rabjohns would not say exactly (said he didn't have permission to disclose), but it was activities that a family like the Zellers would not approve of and Tyler was offered participation on his official.  Reading between the lines, I'm guessing drugs and probably not just weed.

3 hours ago, hoosier8760 said:

Just curious, what exactly happened during Tyler's official visit?

Reading (listening?) between the lines, drugs and criminal activity that went way past minor consumption of alcohol or a guy having a dime bag in his pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this back up because Hoosier Hysterics has had a couple more great shows. These guys are really great at interviewing and I'm always surprised at how much information they are able to get out of their interviewees. 

Anyhoo, for the last 2 shows they interviewed Zach and the Juwan - a quick recap:

1. Both seems almost certain that Hunter will be back next year.

2. On how good Hunter is: Juwan said it would have between him and Romeo for best freshman on the team had he played last year.

3. Both Zach and Juwan love Damezi - they said he's hilarious, a good team-mate and a really hard worker. Juwan predicted he'll be the break out player next year and will have the biggest of season jump. It's just a matter of him learning and getting comfortable within the system. 

4. Both also talk pretty candidly about Archie and Crean. 

5. Juwan has a photographic memory - it's pretty hilarious, they kept bringing up random games and he could tell him his stat line. 

6. I'm pretty certain that after listening to these interviews that the 'bad chemistry' and the fighting amongst team-teammates rumors were simply not true. From what they say last year's team was closely knit. 

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Bumping this back up because Hoosier Hysterics has had a couple more great shows. These guys are really great at interviewing and I'm always surprised at how much information they are able to get out of their interviewees. 

Anyhoo, for the last 2 shows they interviewed Zach and the Juwan - a quick recap:

2. On how good Hunter is: Juwan said it would have between him and Romeo for best freshman on the team had he played last year.

3. Both Zach and Juwan love Damezi - they said he's hilarious, a good team-mate and a really hard worker. Juwan predicted he'll be the break out player next year and will have the biggest of season jump. It's just a matter of him learning and getting comfortable within the system. 

5. Juwan has a photographic memory - it's pretty hilarious, they kept bringing up random games and he could tell him his stat line. 

6. I'm pretty certain that after listening to these interviews that the 'bad chemistry' and the fighting amongst team-teammates rumors were simply not true. From what they say last year's team was closely knit. 

Thanks for the recap. Specifically points 2,3, and 6. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Hopefully point 6 was just them focusing on positives. 

If there really weren’t chemistry issues then the team was just bad. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for the summary. I'm not quite sure about #6 though. Can a team lose 12 out of 13 without showing great efforts and passion after opening the season with 12-2? Things just don't add up. Even if they really had internal issues, guys like Juwan and Zach (both were leaders of the team) wouldn't mention anything in public. That's just not part of their personalities. 

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Thanks for the summary. I'm not quite sure about #6 though. Can a team lose 12 out of 13 without showing great efforts and passion after opening the season with 12-2? Things just don't add up. Even if they really had internal issues, guys like Juwan and Zach (both were leaders of the team) wouldn't mention anything in public. That's just not part of their personalities. 

Clarification: I don't think it was due to end fighting. Chemistry issues on the floor -maybe - but not off of it. 

Out of context it's easy to chalk it up to the players putting a positive spin on the situation. But if you go back and listen, they were being very candid - dishing a little dirt. Both were freely talking about Archie and Crean. They criticized Crean for not having a practice schedule and said the it caused unnecessary chaos. Zach admitted he didn't know what they offensive plan was this past year and Juwan freely admitted that Crean's defensive strategy was outscoring the opponent. haha. Juwan even spoke about Devonte's failed drug test (which technically isn't supposed to be public knowledge). I didn't get the feeling like they were being guarded or holding too much back. 

I guess you'd just have to listen to gather your own impression. 

11 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

He did mention the Green "punching" Romeo incident was not true. So "insiders" are telling the truth, but the players are candy coating it? I think it's probably a bit of both. Chemistry is overrated. I'm not saying it's un-important, but it's not always going to be hugs and kisses in the locker room. Culture and respect are more important than chemistry. Culture creates "chemistry".

Morgan stated there was zero truth to rumors of internal team issues.

He said this past team was the second “closest” of the four teams he was on.

He acknowledged/laughed when Crean was described as different/weird but also clearly liked Crean and stated if Crean had immediately gone to another team, after being fired, he might have transferred to Crean’s new team.

No big surprise but he rated Archie as a better defensive coach and Crean as a better offensive coach.

He was very impressed with Hunter (and thinks he will play next year) and said that Damezi is going to surprise everyone.

He speculated that Rob and Al would be the team leaders next year.

On 5/22/2019 at 3:22 PM, IU878176 said:

Morgan stated there was zero truth to rumors of internal team issues.

He said this past team was the second “closest” of the four teams he was on.

He acknowledged/laughed when Crean was described as different/weird but also clearly liked Crean and stated if Crean had immediately gone to another team, after being fired, he might have transferred to Crean’s new team.

No big surprise but he rated Archie as a better defensive coach and Crean as a better offensive coach.

He was very impressed with Hunter (and thinks he will play next year) and said that Damezi is going to surprise everyone.

He speculated that Rob and Al would be the team leaders next year.

A few other things Morgan said that I found interesting....

Romeo was his roommate on the road and Morgan said Romeo sounded like a 60 year old man getting out of bed in the morning (I.e. the back issues were real).

Said that recruits are usually “tentative” on the court when playing with the team on their recruiting visits. Morgan was told by a coach to be physical with Hunter and he said Hunter (I am paraphrasing) took it very well and was more aggressive than typical recruits.

Morgan agreed that it took a year to learn the packline. (But did not mention 3 years...LOL).

He thought it was ridiculous when Crean started getting heat and Morgan used the injuries the team had encountered (Blackmon, OG etc) as an excuse and seemed to think Crean had earned the benefit of the doubt because IU had won outright BT titles 2 of the previous 4 years and had made the sweet 16’s.

He said Green came to him and told him he was going to fail a test he had to take. The moderator made sure that Morgan was not talking about an academic test (it was not). Morgan said players were told a day or so in advance that they had been picked  to be tested, Green was picked and knew he would not pass. Morgan told Green to go to the coaches and be truthful. The exact words “drug test” were not used but it was 100% clear what they were talking about. He was obviously suspended for getting high rather than getting into a fight with Romeo or any of the other rumors that were floating around.

His family has a structured military background and said he was suprised to see the “chaos” in some of Creans practices and that they did not even have a set schedule for practice times.  Said he sometimes got a text that there would be a practice, later that day, while he was sitting in class. He seemed to think Crean was a bit disorganized/scattered, not a great defensive coach and was sort of weird/odd. On the other hand he thought Crean was a good offensive coach, was very good at developing players (a reason for going to IU) and Morgan really seemed to personally like him as he mentioned how Crean seemed to care about the players and would remember personal details all the way down to something about a players relative’s dog. You could tell that meant something to him.

His first impression of Archie? Could not believe how short he is. Said he would joke with Archie about his height.

Morgan seemed to absolutely love the campus and he came across as a really great guy (no surprise) that graduated with a 3.2 GPA.

Those guys do a great job with their podcasts.  They don't take the formal interviewer approach where interviewees understandably become guarded.

Rather, they take a more informal approach where they are just having a conversation, like they are in a bar.  Like friends saying, "hey, I heard you did ___."  And the subjects loosen up and give candid answers because it's more of a conversation than an interview.  Good for them.

Again, great stuff, @IU878176.  Kind of concerns me about Romeo's back.  We know he got the hell beat out of him last season.  That can't be good for his long-term spinal health.  I hope he can manage his back issues as a pro.  Who knows how many more years Larry Bird could have played except for his back.

Archived