Must listen podcast

Also listened to the Zach interview (I’ve had a lot of drive time lately). Many of the same things that were discussed in the Morgan interview. A few things:

Grew up a Butler fan

No Indiana schools were interested in him (always suprised that a school like Evansville does not go after these type of guys...ie a 6’6”-6’7” Indiana All State player)

According to Zach,  same as Morgan, there were no issues in the locker room.

He stays away from Twitter etc as he does not need to see negative comments

Hurt most of the year and acknowledged he was a step slow all year (and joked that it was obvious to all of us)

Was thrilled to be on IU’s team and was blown away at the atmosphere of the UNC home game which was one of his first home games.

His first year we beat Kansas and UNC then went on the slide. Like Morgan he mentioned the impact of  losing OG and Blackmon and said it was a big blow to lose a first rounder and a professional.

Said that Damezi came to him looking for suggestions on how to get better, he is a hard worker, etc. like Morgan he thinks Damezi has promise. Like Morgan he also called Damezi one of the funniest guys on the team.

Is sure Hunter will play and called him aggressive on offense.

Called Romeo a good guy.

During the coaching search the players definitely did not want Greg Marshall to get hired.

Same as Morgan he was baffled that Crean did not have a weekly practice schedule. Mentioned a time when it was 5:30 pm until it was confirmed they did not have practice that day.  He speculated (kind of searching for a reason) that Crean did that so that players could not go out late the night before knowing they did not have practice the next morning (ie keep them on their toes/best behavior) but he was guessing if that was the reason.

Called Crean a really nice guy and offensive minded.

It adds a bit of credibility to a coach if they played high level basketball (ie Archie being a D1 guard).

The “gold jersey” did not seem to mean much to the players...more of  coaches thing.

Called Archie more defensive minded. One thing  a little disturbing is that after two years Zach did not seem to have a grasp or ability to explain Archie’s offensive philosophy . After Zach was off the interview the two moderators also expressed surprise (one of the moderators actually called it “terrifying”) that the offensive philosophy still does not seem clear even to the players.

Asked directly if Archie would get us to the final four....”Time will tell”

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

Called Archie more defensive minded. One thing  a little disturbing is that after two years Zach did not seem to have a grasp or ability to explain Archie’s offensive philosophy . After Zach was off the interview the two moderators also expressed surprise (one of the moderators actually called it “terrifying”) that the offensive philosophy still does not seem clear even to the players.

That said, Juwan was able to talk a bit more about it in depth. And he did mention injuries affected the offense too - mentioning one time they only had 8 players to practice (including walk-ons). I really got the impression that much of the season was like trying to patch up a leaking boat and navigating it at the same time. 

While I don't pretend to have the first inkling of what a basketball coach entails, I can imagine that you are bombarded with issues from all directions when you first step into the job. Hopefully, the reason for this is Archie prioritizing - and right now he wants to get the defense nailed down, then maybe lock down the state, and then get the grades up. 

I hate to bring up Bennet again, but his offense hasn't looked too bad the last two years. Beiline established his offense first and the last couple of years he also had very good defensive teams. Even Bo Ryan fell into some good offense eventually. 

If we were headed into year 5 and we weren't seeing any major improvements then I'd be more concerned. I was on Crean's wagon for a while until I realized that he wasn't improving on his weaknesses: mainly defense and turnovers. As long as I'm seeing a gradual incline in Archie I won't be quite so ready to pull the fire alarm. 

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Also listened to the Zach interview (I’ve had a lot of drive time lately). Many of the same things that were discussed in the Morgan interview. A few things:

Grew up a Butler fan

No Indiana schools were interested in him (always suprised that a school like Evansville does not go after these type of guys...ie a 6’6”-6’7” Indiana All State player)

According to Zach,  same as Morgan, there were no issues in the locker room.

He stays away from Twitter etc as he does not need to see negative comments

Hurt most of the year and acknowledged he was a step slow all year (and joked that it was obvious to all of us)

Was thrilled to be on IU’s team and was blown away at the atmosphere of the UNC home game which was one of his first home games.

His first year we beat Kansas and UNC then went on the slide. Like Morgan he mentioned the impact of  losing OG and Blackmon and said it was a big blow to lose a first rounder and a professional.

Said that Damezi came to him looking for suggestions on how to get better, he is a hard worker, etc. like Morgan he thinks Damezi has promise. Like Morgan he also called Damezi one of the funniest guys on the team.

Is sure Hunter will play and called him aggressive on offense.

Called Romeo a good guy.

During the coaching search the players definitely did not want Greg Marshall to get hired.

Same as Morgan he was baffled that Crean did not have a weekly practice schedule. Mentioned a time when it was 5:30 pm until it was confirmed they did not have practice that day.  He speculated (kind of searching for a reason) that Crean did that so that players could not go out late the night before knowing they did not have practice the next morning (ie keep them on their toes/best behavior) but he was guessing if that was the reason.

Called Crean a really nice guy and offensive minded.

It adds a bit of credibility to a coach if they played high level basketball (ie Archie being a D1 guard).

The “gold jersey” did not seem to mean much to the players...more of  coaches thing.

Asked directly if Archie would get us to the final four....”Time will tell”

After two seasons, the players still don't know what the offense is? lol, only the best coaches for Indiana!

Glass should be carrying a plunger, not a surfboard.

1 hour ago, Long Duk Dong said:

After two seasons, the players still don't know what the offense is? lol, only the best coaches for Indiana!

Glass should be carrying a plunger, not a surfboard.

We should just hire you as coach since you have all the answers ad since you think it is so easy to coach college basketball.  It does take time for kids to get use to a new system and get comfortable with all aspects of that offense.  The reason why there were not a big deal at OSU since Matta ran the same system that Holtman did.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

We should just hire you as coach since you have all the answers ad since you think it is so easy to coach college basketball.  It does take time for kids to get use to a new system and get comfortable with all aspects of that offense.  The reason why there were not a big deal at OSU since Matta ran the same system that Holtman did.

After TWO full seasons, the players still don't know what they are trying to do on offense.

Let that sink in real good.

Coaching basketball and hiring coaches are the two things Indiana just can't seem to do. I would hope for Chris Beard after next season but let's be honest, Indiana wouldn't be able to get it done.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with some of what you are saying, and there were some positives in the interview,  but are you not slighty concerned that Zach seemed confused as to what the offensive philosophy is after two years??  I understand taking time to implement a system but hearing a player with a seemingly high basketball IQ unable to articulate that we are trying to do x,y,z on the offensive side, after 2 years, is a bit concerning (and the moderators, one of which called it terrifying, agreed).  

Please do not extrapolate this into a “I want Archie fired after two years” post. 

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I agree with some of what you are saying, and there were some positives in the interview,  but are you not slighty concerned that Zach seemed confused as to what the offensive philosophy is after two years??  I understand taking time to implement a system but hearing a player with a seemingly high basketball IQ unable to articulate that we are trying to do x,y,z on the offensive side, after 2 years, is a bit concerning (and the moderators agreed).  

Please do not extrapolate this into a “I want Archie fired after two years” post. 

So, wait.  You're calling for Archie to be fired after only two years?  :coffee:

I don’t believe for one second that McRoberts doesn’t know what they were trying to do offensively. I think he just fumbled the answer. My college coach, while a good guy, was not a good basketball coach and I can answer that question about my teams 20 years later. 

Theres no way he doesn’t know. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don’t believe for one second that McRoberts doesn’t know what they were trying to do offensively. I think he just fumbled the answer. My college coach, while a good guy, was not a good basketball coach and I can answer that question about my teams 20 years later. 

Theres no way he doesn’t know. 

Hope your right but listen, toward the end of the podcast, and let us know what you think. It was a uhhhhhhh moment.  He seemed  to be confused if Archie wanted to do a or b. This should not be the single focus of a 2 hour interview but it did stand out a bit.

5 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Hope your right but listen, toward the end of the podcast, and let us know what you think. It was a uhhhhhhh moment.  He seemed  to be confused if Archie wanted to do a or b. This should not be the single focus of a 2 hour interview but it did stand out a bit.

I did listen to the podcast. He didn’t answer the question well at all. There’s just no way he didn’t understand what they were trying to do. 

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

OK, good. I feel much better about our offense :)

Haha, yeah I’m not saying the offense was great. Just saying there’s no way the players, especially one as smart as McRoberts, didn’t know what they were trying to do or what the plan was. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Haha, yeah I’m not saying the offense was great. Just saying there’s no way the players, especially one as smart as McRoberts, didn’t know what they were trying to do or what the plan was. 

Hope your right but I’m honestly not sure ( and realize I could be wildly wrong).

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Hope your right but I’m honestly not sure ( and realize I could be wildly wrong).

I've had a theory that Archie spent most of his first two years teaching defense and as a result, has a relatively simple offense at this stage.  I expect that to change now that he's had two years, but I'm guessing Archie will always be a defense first coach.

Completely a guess on my part, but it fits what I've witnessed thus far.

I’ll preface this by saying I’m comparing apples and oranges. But similarities do apply  

Im a swim coach. Last season I started coaching a team and so many things were wrong with my swimmers technically. The first thought that came over me was ‘where do I start?’

I started by correcting the various aspects of their stroke technique: correcting head position, body line, recovery, catch, etc. I did spend time on turns, starts and underwater ( aka streamlines), but I didn’t emphasize it as much as stroke technique.

At meets I could clearly see that my swimmers underwaters (for example) were horrible and I can assure you I heard this from parents. But as we progressed towards the end of the season their stroke technique was looking much better because this is what I emphasized. 

My point is we practice 10 hours a week and the season is almost 8 months long. Even with that all that pool time I didn’t have time to emphasize everything in that first season. I prioritized the aspects I thought were most important and the skills I though we needed to improve the most. 

This season, I’m spending much more time focusing on the issues I didn’t prioritize as much in the first season because I have more time - I don’t have to spend so much time on stroke technique - for the most part they have that down now. Now I can work more on the starts. The turns. The finishes. 

My point is taking over a new team is a process. No matter what the level. I’m guessing offense wasn’t the main priority for CAM these first two years. That doesn’t mean that it won’t be in the future. 

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've had a theory that Archie spent most of his first two years teaching defense and as a result, has a relatively simple offense at this stage.  I expect that to change now that he's had two years, but I'm guessing Archie will always be a defense first coach.

Completely a guess on my part, but it fits what I've witnessed thus far.

I guess my thinking is if it's simple... It should be easily understood.  I don't know, now I'm confused.  

I think its been difficult establishing anything because 2 years ago you had 2 senior guards still trying to play Crean ball.  Then here comes 2 freshmen.   

On 5/24/2019 at 9:36 PM, BGleas said:

Didn’t listen to Zach’s interview. Juwan was able to speak to the differences between Crean and Archie offensively. Said that anyone could initiate the offense with Crean. With Archie, he wants the PG to initiate. Also said Archie is more focused on spacing than Crean. 

Overall, Juwan gave a lot of info in his interview. Definitely worth the listen. 

On 5/24/2019 at 8:32 PM, BGleas said:

I did listen to the podcast. He didn’t answer the question well at all. There’s just no way he didn’t understand what they were trying to do. 

Who really knows what he meant without followup.  However Ill take the slant of he missed so much practice time and playing with the guys he would come in without the offensive reps needed to know everything they were doing.  He spoke to the injuries and you cant just watch film to know what to do.

New episode with TJD and Joey Brunk. These guys do an awesome job, these really are great podcasts! We should all be excited for both these guys, but man Joey Brunk is a really, really underrated addition. Sounds like IU is finally going to have some maturity and perspective in the lockerroom. 

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Trayce-Jackson-Davis-Joey-Brunk-132369075/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190528_091540_Indiana Hoosiers&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=12-D1-C0-91-CA-43-20-5E-43-C2-D6-90-1C-2E-D5-8B190528_091540IndianaHoosiers

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

New episode with TJD and Joey Brunk. These guys do an awesome job, these really are great podcasts! We should all be excited for both these guys, but man Joey Brunk is a really, really underrated addition. Sounds like IU is finally going to have some maturity and perspective in the lockerroom. 

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Trayce-Jackson-Davis-Joey-Brunk-132369075/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190528_091540_Indiana Hoosiers&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=12-D1-C0-91-CA-43-20-5E-43-C2-D6-90-1C-2E-D5-8B190528_091540IndianaHoosiers

Just in time - Makes my lawn mowing feel much faster when I have something good to listen to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived