Must listen podcast

20 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Assembly Call had Eric and Ward from Hoosier Hysterics on last night. Definitely worth a listen. If you watch on youtube, you can get all the extra dialogue between segments. 

I watched it last night and it was one of their better shows

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/22/2019 at 12:33 PM, OGIUAndy said:

He did mention the Green "punching" Romeo incident was not true. So "insiders" are telling the truth, but the players are candy coating it? I think it's probably a bit of both. Chemistry is overrated. I'm not saying it's un-important, but it's not always going to be hugs and kisses in the locker room. Culture and respect are more important than chemistry. Culture creates "chemistry".

Another mention of "chemistry" in the locker room, more specifically Romeo. https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2019/6/10/18659944/juwan-morgan-sets-the-record-straight-on-romeo-langford-nba-draft-news-rumors

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Juwan was on Sports locker last night and he said Romeo was the best teammate he has ever played with.

I believe it. Romeo easily can be the best teammate if other kids don't get jealous of all the attentions he naturally gets. By all accounts, he seemed to be very grounded and humble. Sometimes in the last season, I thought Romeo could've played much better if other kids helped him on the court rather than threw him the ball and let him do his things. 

• 1 month later...

Just got around to listening to the Hoosier Hysterics podcast with Derek Elston, fascinating listen. I'm just about 2/3 of the way through, but man he was very insightful and introspective. So far to me the most fascinating part was Elston talking about how quickly his class clicked and bonded with the class ahead of his (VJIII, Pritchard, etc.) and all the work those guys put in, but then later on the interviewers brought up The Movement. 

One interviewer kept calling them 'The Bowel Movement', even to Elston. But at one point in talking about some of the disappointments of the 12-13 season and how the returning players felt about The Movement, one guy asked how the returning players integrated the 2012 class and if they brought the 2012 guys along like the veterans did with his 2009 class. Elston paused for a few seconds, as if it was just then and there dawning on him, and he said that they basically didn't. He even said that it was either 'tough' or 'sad' to think about now, but that the older guys basically had their relationships and they didn't really do much to bring the 2012 class into the fold with them socially. 

Just the tone of his voice, it was almost a feeling sadness or regret about the way the veterans on the 12-13 team didn't lead the 2012 class. Really, really interesting. 

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Derek-Elston-133523843/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just got around to listening to the Hoosier Hysterics podcast with Derek Elston, fascinating listen. I'm just about 2/3 of the way through, but man he was very insightful and introspective. So far to me the most fascinating part was Elston talking about how quickly his class clicked and bonded with the class ahead of his (VJIII, Pritchard, etc.) and all the work those guys put in, but then later on the interviewers brought up The Movement. 

One interviewer kept calling them 'The Bowel Movement', even to Elston. But at one point in talking about some of the disappointments of the 12-13 season and how the returning players felt about The Movement, one guy asked how the returning players integrated the 2012 class and if they brought the 2012 guys along like the veterans did with his 2009 class. Elston paused for a few seconds, as if it was just then and there dawning on him, and he said that they basically didn't. He even said that it was either 'tough' or 'sad' to think about now, but that the older guys basically had their relationships and they didn't really do much to bring the 2012 class into the fold with them socially. 

Just the tone of his voice, it was almost a feeling sadness or regret about the way the veterans on the 12-13 team didn't lead the 2012 class. Really, really interesting. 

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Derek-Elston-133523843/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Bad culture

4 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Bad culture

I don't think that means bad culture. If you listen to the podcast, it sounds like they had an excellent culture around those years, in terms of the dedication and work ethic of the guys. But, sometimes when you have a very veteran club that has been together for 2-3 years and been through a lot together, the integration of new guys can be difficult. When Elston's class came in there wasn't a deep-seeded group of older guys, so the class ahead was probably more desperate for new guys to hangout with, etc. 

I appreciate Derek's candidness. Some guys on that team may feel differently, but there should be truth to certain extent. Whatever happened happened and important thing is we learn our lessons and move forward. IMO, what contributed greatly to Crean's downfall and even to the disappointing last season was IU coaches failed to recruit kids that had leadership quality or at least had quality/personality to be developed as leaders. Kids we had over the years were mostly quiet, nice kids who were introverted and probably had difficulties having heart-to-heart conversations among them when necessary. Looking at the last year's team in hindsight, there was probably nobody on that team who could reconcile the differences among players and bring all guys' attentions to the most important things (brotherhood, camaraderie, and winning). Recently, Juwan had an interview and said there was no issue in last year's team, but I didn't and couldn't believe that. When introverted kids are asked difficult questions, they oftentimes don't give straight answers because they don't like unnecessary attention/controversy and also they simply think too much. 

I actually thought about this interview while reading the injury thread. Derek was talking about how hard there practices were and how they also put in extra work. 

I want to be careful not to devalue the importance of work ethic, but up until Crean’s last big ten champion team, they always seemed to be sputtering into the post season. Elston was battling injuries his entire last year. VJ3 and Jordy got injured at the end of there Senior seasons. 

Elston was talking about how he and Will jogged to Subway at midnight every night and how other guys were getting up shots at all hours of the night.  I wonder how much these guys let their bodies recover.  

And then you had Creans last year that was plagued with injuries and the hardest worker in that team, OG, went down. 

I just kept thinking, as an athlete, where is the line crossed when increased training becomes a detriment to your body. 

so is this all bad luck? A coincidence? Or it happens at every program and I’m just living in my IU bubble?

I really enjoyed the podcast with Derek.  It lasts three hours, but I commute from the 'burbs to downtown Chicago and that covered about four trips nicely.

First and foremost, I commend Derek the person.  He comes across as a SUPER guy.  I was very impressed with his humility, work ethic, self-awareness, and being a generally great person. No tinge of arrogance or he's better than anybody because he played.  I wish I could say the same about our administrators. 

Lots of great nuggets in the podcast.  He's great for the program right now in his mentoring role to the players, as an ex-player who's seen the highs and lows.  His aspirations for coaching are striking.  He takes notes and absorbs info.  I wish him nothing but the best in his coaching career.

• 3 months later...

Giving this old one a bump....

Anybody catch the Mike Davis interview last week??? Just a lot of interesting stuff about an all-around good guy. 

Hot takes:
- He took blame for a lot of his player's shortcomings, namely George Leach and AJ Ratliff. In retrospect, he said that he didn't develop them the right way - and if he did they could've been pros. Not sure I believe that, but I do appreciate the humility.
- He still considers Josh Smith a Hoosier and tells the story about how Josh unexpectedly fell into his lap.
- Still regrets not getting Oden and Conley, which he blames the lack of commitment to his job security from the administration. 
- And he still loves Bracey Wright - you could tell it was killing Eric and Ward that they couldn't get any punches. They were looking for an opening, but Davis didn't bite. 
- Lastly, the guy does 300 push-ups a day! He inspired me to do 100 push-ups a day for the next 30 days. Anybody is welcome to join me. Today is day 1 and I have 60 down. 

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Giving this old one a bump....

Anybody catch the Mike Davis interview last week??? Just a lot of interesting stuff about an all-around good guy. 

Hot takes:
- He took blame for a lot of his player's shortcomings, namely George Leach and AJ Ratliff. In retrospect, he said that he didn't develop them the right way - and if he did they could've been pros. Not sure I believe that, but I do appreciate the humility.
- He still considers Josh Smith a Hoosier and tells the story about how Josh unexpectedly fell into his lap.
- Still regrets not getting Oden and Conley, which he blames the lack of commitment to his job security from the administration. 
- And he still loves Bracey Wright - you could tell it was killing Eric and Ward that they couldn't get any punches. They were looking for an opening, but Davis didn't bite. 
- Lastly, the guy does 300 push-ups a day! He inspired me to do 100 push-ups a day for the next 30 days. Anybody is welcome to join me. Today is day 1 and I have 60 down. 

Love it! For about 5 years I've been doing 20 pushups every hour at work. It's great in general and really beneficial during those times that for whatever reason I'm not currently working out. 

Archived