How do you dress and cook your corn on the cob ?

milehiiu

That is of course, if you like corn on the cob.

In the summer.... I soak my unhusked corn in a big pot of salted water. Pulling  back, but not taking off the husks in order to remove the silks. Soak for  or at least four hours. Then I tie the husks with a string. And put them on a grill.  Gas or charcoal will do.

In the winter. I boil them, husked... in a pot on the stove.  My wife will micro wave them.

And we have corn dishes that we put melted butter in.  With corn handles on each end.  Salt and pepper.

Now, this summer I am looking to change things up with dressings more than just butter.

25 ways to dress up corn on the cob

Tell me some of the ways you dress your corn on the cob. 

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Have you ever tried cooking in the oven husk on?

I either grill or bake husk on. They will steam in the husk while cooking. When done I cut about a quarter inch off the stem end the pull off the husk with the silk from the other and cut the tip off.  Husk and silks slide right off. Sometimes employ a kitchen towel if it's too hot. 

I mostly dress Mexican style or butter,salt,pepper,garlic powder, and parmesan.  Sometimes do a chipotle garlic seasoning mix.  Sometimes movie popcorn style. 

Saw a few on the list you provided I may try. 

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Have you ever tried cooking in the oven husk on?

I either grill or bake husk on. They will steam in the husk while cooking. When done I cut about a quarter inch off the stem end the pull off the husk with the silk from the other and cut the tip off.  Husk and silks slide right off. Sometimes employ a kitchen towel if it's too hot. 

I mostly dress Mexican style or butter,salt,pepper,garlic powder, and parmesan.  Sometimes do a chipotle garlic seasoning mix.  Sometimes movie popcorn style. 

Saw a few on the list you provided I may try. 

Never have done on the husk, in the oven.  However, I will be trying that, thanks to your suggest.  Temp and time, please.

I intend to explore tonight.  Going Mexican style. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Never have done on the husk, in the oven.  However, I will be trying that, thanks to your suggest.  Temp and time, please.

I intend to explore tonight.  Going Mexican style. 

I do 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Cook until soft. I will start checking about 20 mins in. I just squeeze on the cob with thumb and finger to check. Trim the silks before cooking if needed.

For me, the easiest way to dress mexican style is using the backside of a spoon. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I do 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Cook until soft. I will start checking about 20 mins in. I just squeeze on the cob with thumb and finger to check. Trim the silks before cooking if needed.

For me, the easiest way to dress mexican style is using the backside of a spoon. 

Thank you, good sir.  I truly appreciate your reply... and will for sure use your guide. 

I haven't ever made it this way, but this one looks a lot like ones I've had before.  My community has a pretty high Hispanic population, so I'll sometimes get it at school or celebrations at the park, but it is so good.

It is called elotes when it is on the cob, and esquites when it is in a cup.  I like both ways, but I think it is easier to eat out of a cup.

15 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I haven't ever made it this way, but this one looks a lot like ones I've had before.  My community has a pretty high Hispanic population, so I'll sometimes get it at school or celebrations at the park, but it is so good.

It is called elotes when it is on the cob, and esquites when it is in a cup.  I like both ways, but I think it is easier to eat out of a cup.

Thanks Leather. Looks great !

Here's another :

Mexican-Style Street Corn 

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

One thing my father taught me, put some butter on a slice of bread and then while your cobb is hot wrap it around the Cobb and proceed to properly butter your Cobb! Also leaves you with a properly buttered slice of bread!😋

I would have never thought of that !  Add a little bit of garlic.... and I am all in.  Buttered corn with garlic, and buttered garlic bread.  

I really enjoy cooking and trying new recipes on almost 99% of foods out there. In this one rare instance though I let the quality of the product just do it's thing. Fresh Indiana sweetcorn around the 1st of July (depending on weather and when farmers can get planted). Water (I add some salt) to boil and place shucked corn in to boil for 8 minutes. Salt, butter and I'm in heaven. So simple and so good. 

The lady I get my corn from has her farm in Sheridan and Peru. I eat daily from her farmers market in Indy all of July, August, and part of September. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I really enjoy cooking and trying new recipes on almost 99% of foods out there. In this one rare instance though I let the quality of the product just do it's thing. Fresh Indiana sweetcorn around the 1st of July (depending on weather and when farmers can get planted). Water (I add some salt) to boil and place shucked corn in to boil for 8 minutes. Salt, butter and I'm in heaven. So simple and so good. 

The lady I get my corn from has her farm in Sheridan and Peru. I eat daily from her farmers market in Indy all of July, August, and part of September. 

Oh. I agree.  Nothing like summer corn grown in the Midwest.  Though I am exploring other ways to top a Corn on the Cob.... what you have described is delicious.  Only thing I add to the butter and salt.... is pepper.  Corn on the Cob in the summer time.... with butter, salt and pepper..... as Rachael Ray says : "Delish ! "

7 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I like a little Cayenne pepper on my buttered corn on the cob. 

Ever had Choclo or that giant peruvian corn.  I lived in Peru for a year in 82/83.  Really good stuff. 

Thanks for the tip on Choclo.  Gonna have to try it.

Choclo: The Giant Corn of Peru 

Funny,  in that I had a cousin for lunch today.....Pozole.   Hominy.

I dress in the same type of clothing as I do when I cook anything else.  Jeans or shorts and a tee shirt.  I tried cooking corn on the cob while wearing nothing but socks, but splashed some boiling water on myself.  Still have a couple of scars.  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I dress in the same type of clothing as I do when I cook anything else.  Jeans or shorts and a tee shirt.  I tried cooking corn on the cob while wearing nothing but socks, but splashed some boiling water on myself.  Still have a couple of scars.  

I was thinking shirt and tie but I just cant seem to get it over their ears.

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Kind of a twist on Mexican Street Corn, but cover in butter, lime zest, cotija or parmesan cheese and cayanne pepper, grill with husks on, peel the husks back for the last 2-3 mins.

Sounds great.  Got so many options for this summer.  Feel that I will be eating a ton of Corn on the Cob this summer.. more than ever before... and in many more non traditional ways.  Thanks Z for an additional twist.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sounds great.  Got so many options for this summer.  Feel that I will be eating a ton of Corn on the Cob this summer.. more than ever before... and in many more non traditional ways.  Thanks Z for an additional twist.

You know mile, I think we all owe you a thank you, when you turned the Strange Food thread into one that included recipes!! I mean any thread now about food including resteraunt specialties seems to include a recipe! I LOVE IT!

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

You know mile, I think we all owe you a thank you, when you turned the Strange Food thread into one that included recipes!! I mean any thread now about food including resteraunt specialties seems to include a recipe! I LOVE IT!

Thank you for your very kind words.  And thank you for being a great member of Hoosier Sports Nation.

Archived