Matt Cross Commits to Miami

KDB

Just thinking out loud here. If the chatter proves right (and given Leal, Galloway commits) for Cross is anyone else concerned about our bigs? Or is it just simply Archie's way of stocking the team with as many good basketball players as possible?

I won't be concerned about it for 20/21  year with Brunk and more than likely TJD back....or is this Archie's way of clearing the path for Furst and Kaufman and being able to offer immediate playing time?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I want Cross badly but it seems that Archie can never close on out of state top 100 guys.  Hunter being the exception but that was a unique situation.  I think he's an Aggie or a Gator unfortunately.

I am pretty sure Race was a top 100 player in his class before re classify.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just thinking out loud here. If the chatter proves right (and given Leal, Galloway commits) for Cross is anyone else concerned about our bigs? Or is it just simply Archie's way of stocking the team with as many good basketball players as possible?

I won't be concerned about it for 20/21  year with Brunk and more than likely TJD back....or is this Archie's way of clearing the path for Furst and Kaufman and being able to offer immediate playing time?

I am not worried because a lot of teams don't really play two big guys together anyways.  We would have TJD, Race and Brunk next year and I think Cross can play a stretch 4.

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's how I take it. I think if Cross commits, Archie is going to be very selective on who he takes from there on out. A Cross commitment likely rules out Geronimo, Diarra, and Jalen Bridges, the latter who we don't have a very good shot of landing anyway. I think he would still give that 4th scholarship to Love if he wants to come but I think he turns that focus to Garcia, Loveday, and possibly Brown-Ferguson who is working on re-classifying and Archie is recruiting as such. If we don't get either of those 3 look for Archie to bank the fourth scholarship that we can use on a grad transfer big or ball-handler that won't affect the 2021 numbers.

Personally I don't see Kauffman and Furst playing together. I suppose it's possible if TJD leaves after 2 years and then you start Furst and Kauffman together but they both play the same position and both will want to play a 4 role at the collegiate level as that is what will prepare them for the next level. 

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

That's how I take it. I think if Cross commits, Archie is going to be very selective on who he takes from there on out. A Cross commitment likely rules out Geronimo, Diarra, and Jalen Bridges, the latter who we don't have a very good shot of landing anyway. I think he would still give that 4th scholarship to Love if he wants to come but I think he turns that focus to Garcia, Loveday, and possibly Brown-Ferguson who is working on re-classifying and Archie is recruiting as such. If we don't get either of those 3 look for Archie to bank the fourth scholarship that we can use on a grad transfer big or ball-handler that won't affect the 2021 numbers.

Personally I don't see Kauffman and Furst playing together. I suppose it's possible if TJD leaves after 2 years and then you start Furst and Kauffman together but they both play the same position and both will want to play a 4 role at the collegiate level as that is what will prepare them for the next level. 

Why do I always forget about Garcia specifically....and the 2 others you mentioned. Thanks for the reminder.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Why do I always forget about Garcia specifically....and the 2 others you mentioned. Thanks for the reminder.

Garcia is garnishing the most national attention out of the 3 so on the surface it may appear that IU may be a long shot, but I think IU has a decent shot of landing Garcia. Ostrom has been recruiting him very hard as he is from the same area as Garcia and Garcia seems to be good friends with guys like Galloway and Leal as they have played against each other on the Adidas circuit for the last few years. I've heard Galloway especially, is really trying to convince Garcia to come to IU. Not sold he comes, but I at least give IU a puncher's chance. I think he'll schedule an OV before it's all said and done.  

8 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Remember Archie loved him guys with length that could play multiple positions while at Dayton if my memory serves correctly.  Leal 6'5"(SG and SF)/Galloway 6'4"(SG or SF)/Cross 6'7"(SF or PF). Leal and Galloway can play the 2 and/or 3.  Cross can play the 3 and/or 4(small ball). 

I would add Franklin to that rotation as well.

In addition, it's apparent that CAM is targeting 3-4 year guys who are tough, highly-coachable, multi-skilled players with high basketball IQs to build a solid foundation. TJD, even though a McDonald's AA, comes across as a humble, team-first kid. Likely to have solid chemistry with this group going forward (we'll see how this season goes). I suspect this group will play hard, not only for IU and the coaching staff, but for each other.

16 minutes ago, Iuhoopsfan said:

With Geronimo's upcoming visit, you have to think that the heat is on Cross if he wants to go to IU.  May be the reason the recent chatter about Cross to IU has surfaced.  

I think Geronimo's visit to IU was pretty strategic as he is taking his OV the same weekend as Cross is taking his last visit to A&M. Cross has always intended that he'd like to make a decision sometime late Aug/early September and a commitment somewhere seems imminent. If Cross chooses elsewhere I think IU wants Geronimo to strike as quickly as possible so his recruitment doesn't continue to drag. IU really needs to secure 3 Fall signings so they can really hone in on Garcia/Loveday/Brown-Ferguson who are likely Springs signings. 

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

I think Furst ends up at Purdue or Michigan State. I'm willing to bet he won't be a Hoosier.

Kaufmann will be a Hoosier at some point, IMO. It's attractive for good hs players to play at IU again (Leal, Galloway, Franklin, TJD, etc.) Lander will be the ultimate domino.

22 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I think Furst ends up at Purdue or Michigan State. I'm willing to bet he won't be a Hoosier.

Kaufmann will be a Hoosier at some point, IMO. It's attractive for good hs players to play at IU again (Leal, Galloway, Franklin, TJD, etc.) Lander will be the ultimate domino.

I think that's the likely scenario. Kauffman and Lander are likely slated to play with each other on Indiana Elite next year and like Galloway and Leal could be a package deal. 

22 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I think that's the likely scenario. Kauffman and Lander are likely slated to play with each other on Indiana Elite next year and like Galloway and Leal could be a package deal. 

I agree with both assessments.  Those are the 2 in state I want most but would gladly take Furst as well

All I know is we are setting up to have one seriously good defensive team. We have so many parts that can all switch and guard the ball and have enough size to contest shots. I love it. Not only that but I think these guys could knock down jumpers on the offensive end too if their number is called. If we get Love or Landers and finish off strong with bigs like Kaufman, Garcia, Loveday, Brown-Ferguson combo we might be seeing our next B1G championship team coming together.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All I know is we are setting up to have one seriously good defensive team. We have so many parts that can all switch and guard the ball and have enough size to contest shots. I love it. Not only that but I think these guys could knock down jumpers on the offensive end too if their number is called. If we get Love or Landers and finish off strong with bigs like Kaufman, Garcia, Loveday, Brown-Ferguson combo we might be seeing our next B1G championship team coming together.

And hopefully with legitimate depth to cover all contingencies.  We haven't seen that in awhile.

21 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

I think Geronimo's visit to IU was pretty strategic as he is taking his OV the same weekend as Cross is taking his last visit to A&M. Cross has always intended that he'd like to make a decision sometime late Aug/early September and a commitment somewhere seems imminent. If Cross chooses elsewhere I think IU wants Geronimo to strike as quickly as possible so his recruitment doesn't continue to drag. IU really needs to secure 3 Fall signings so they can really hone in on Garcia/Loveday/Brown-Ferguson who are likely Springs signings. 

I applaud the strategy and our staff for setting it up this way. Seemed like after our friend chose UK last spring we were scrambling and didn't recover. I like this strategy much more. Pressure back on the kids/families,etc...

Archived