Matt Cross Commits to Miami

KDB

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Oh I hope your right. Like this guys game. Strikes me as a classic 4-man in Villanova offense. Hard nose, can extend the floor and doesn’t back down on defense

He won’t play much 4 unless we are in foul trouble.  He can play it just not strong enough yet.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Positionless basketball boys and girls.  Positionless basketball.

I like this I just want my center to be a post presence and be able to alter shots and clean up the boards. If we go smaller at the 4 that person better be a beast on the boards. One thing I have no patience for is getting a defensive stop and giving up an offensive rebound. Having bigger guards helps with team rebounding but I need my 4 to have a nose for the ball once it goes up. The nice thing about Cross is he has the body to get stronger and play against many opposing teams 4. There will be matchup issues at times but we have to remember they have to guard him on our end too. He can definitely be a hybrid and play 3/4 but against bigger opponents we may choose to use multiple bigs more. I just like his game and know he will find a way to get on the floor and be a net positive. There is nothing wrong with running out 6’1, 6’4, 6’5, 6’7, and 6’10...that will matchup with just about any team. Do I think we will turn our focus soon to some bigs..yes. Davis is gone this year and Brunk after next and who knows with Trayce but we need another traditional 5.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Positionless basketball boys and girls.  Positionless basketball.

While it may sound fancy and modern, I'm really hoping Archie doesn't feature 6'6" and 6'8" kids in PF and center spots. To me postionless basketball is really fun to watch if a team has some 6'8" or taller players who can do everything, and also 6'5" - 6'7" guard/wing who can handle the ball like smaller guards and knock down 3-pointers. 

10 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

While it may sound fancy and modern, I'm really hoping Archie doesn't feature 6'6" and 6'8" kids in PF and center spots. To me postionless basketball is really fun to watch if a team has some 6'8" or taller players who can do everything, and also 6'5" - 6'7" guard/wing who can handle the ball like smaller guards and knock down 3-pointers. 

Well the 89 Illinois team did not start anyone over 6'7 and they made the final four.  All of their starters were between 6'4 and 6'7 and all of them could leap and run the floor.

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

What, how hard is it really to have Magic, Lebron, Bird, Jordan and Durant with Hill, McGrady and Draymond on the bench???  There's 8 guys between 6'7" and 6'10" that could play 4/5 positions, it shouldnt be too much to ask for.

6 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Man I would love this commitment. As the resident jerk on this board, I must admit, I haven't had anything to complain about lately.

I hear ya. We can really see Archie's plan taking shape. No quick fixes, but so smart. If we just keep patient, I have a feeling we are gonna be some happy fans relatively soon.

Look for better or for worse you can start to pick up on Archie’s type of player. Look at the guys he has been targeting hard. From Anderson, Romeo, and Hunter to Armaan and the Lester Q and now Galloway, Leal, Morton, Cross and Geronimo...he definitely has a type. He may not land every kid that he wants but man the picture is starting to become more clear.

50 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Look for better or for worse you can start to pick up on Archie’s type of player. Look at the guys he has been targeting hard. From Anderson, Romeo, and Hunter to Armaan and the Lester Q and now Galloway, Leal, Morton, Cross and Geronimo...he definitely has a type. He may not land every kid that he wants but man the picture is starting to become more clear.

What’s the common denominators among all these guys?

8 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Since the '89 Illinois team was referenced, 30 years * 4 FF teams per year = 1 out of 120, so a little less than 1%.

And just a side note. Battle was 6'6, Liberty was 6'8 and both had 40 inch plus verticals and played very tall. Bardo was 6'5 but was like Victor with arm length making him play much taller. One of the teams I despised most. Not because it was long thought how dirty Lou was in getting them together (this team was put together after Deon Thomas/Laphonso Ellis stuff) which led Lou to narrowly avoiding death penalty. I was also at my 2nd IU game ever in person when Anderson hit the shot from 35 feet to win it after Edwards hit his tear drop from left corner. 

I was 8 rows behind basket of winning shot. Never heard 17,357 go so silent. Could hear Battle and his high pitch voice yelling so clearly. To this day the 89 Illini team...especially being from Illinois..is one of my most hated teams of all time. 

16 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

What, how hard is it really to have Magic, Lebron, Bird, Jordan and Durant with Hill, McGrady and Draymond on the bench???  There's 8 guys between 6'7" and 6'10" that could play 4/5 positions, it shouldnt be too much to ask for.

I thought we were talking about college basketball. These days kids coming out of high schools are taller, more athletic, and have good skill sets. For example, with kids that UK recruits, positionless basketball is possible; they bring in multiple 6'6" - 6'8" skilled athletes who can switch positions in offense/defense. While I love and respect players donning IU jerseys and playing for IU, we're simply not capable of playing positionless basketball in high level with the current players or the players that have committed. 

Archived