Matt Cross Commits to Miami

KDB

16 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What’s the common denominators among all these guys?

They all are 6’4-6’7 rangy kids. They don’t play just one position but can play both wings defend multiple positions. All guys that are comfortable with the ball in their hands not just merely catch and shoot. They are more well rounded players. Archie values versatility on both ends of the floor and interchangeable parts. We don’t just see pure shooters or we haven’t really gone after smaller guards outside some point guards. I think he wants guys that can all switch off on defense and guys that can all affect passing lanes and hold up physically with their size. It seems pretty clear to me he likes a similar size and type of player. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but I see a lot of similarities in these kids in how they play...contribute to their teams and physically too. I think his 2-4 on many nights are going to look very similar in style and play. 

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dgambill said:

They all are 6’4-6’7 rangy kids. They don’t play just one position but can play both wings defend multiple positions. All guys that are comfortable with the ball in their hands not just merely catch and shoot. They are more well rounded players. Archie values versatility on both ends of the floor and interchangeable parts. We don’t just see pure shooters or we haven’t really gone after smaller guards outside some point guards. I think he wants guys that can all switch off on defense and guys that can all affect passing lanes and hold up physically with their size. It seems pretty clear to me he likes a similar size and type of player. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but I see a lot of similarities in these kids in how they play...contribute to their teams and physically too. I think his 2-4 on many nights are going to look very similar in style and play. 

Good assessment.  The key being his 2-4 being interchangeable.  Have a primary ballhandler, a post, and 3 wings. Hopefully one of the wings can handle the ball while Rob gets a blow. Need a couple posts on the roster so stiffs from every B1G team don't have career nights against our 6'7" center.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I definitely see where you’re coming from now. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Good assessment.  The key being his 2-4 being interchangeable.  Have a primary ballhandler, a post, and 3 wings. Hopefully one of the wings can handle the ball while Rob gets a blow. Need a couple posts on the roster so stiffs from every B1G team don't have career nights against our 6'7" center.

Yes hopefully gone will be the day that we have the ball being reversed to the other side of the floor to an open wing (Justin Smith/Mcroberts/and to a lesser degree even Morgan) and we didn’t have someone that could attack the defense off the dribble or knock down an open shot. There is nothing worse than guys sagging off their players and getting in our driving lanes or passing lanes. Made life miserable for Romeo and Rob trying to drive or Morgan operating in the post. We had so many open corner threes and chances with the defense out of position last year but just didn’t have the right personnel to attack the defense. I think if we land Cross we won’t have those problems anymore and we will focus on bigs and the point position in 21.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes hopefully gone will be the day that we have the ball being reversed to the other side of the floor to an open wing (Justin Smith/Mcroberts/and to a lesser degree even Morgan) and we didn’t have someone that could attack the defense off the dribble or knock down an open shot. There is nothing worse than guys sagging off their players and getting in our driving lanes or passing lanes. Made life miserable for Romeo and Rob trying to drive or Morgan operating in the post. We had so many open corner threes and chances with the defense out of position last year but just didn’t have the right personnel to attack the defense. I think if we land Cross we won’t have those problems anymore and we will focus on bigs and the point position in 21.

Well said.  

43 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

OV to Texas A&M next weekend.

An official visit to East Texas this time of year works in our favor. 

I just came in from outside and it's 80 degrees, on its way to 97, and 98% humidity. Walk a New England kid around in that for an hour. He'll be pining for cool weather.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I just came in from outside and it's 80 degrees, on its way to 97, and 98% humidity. Walk a New England kid around in that for an hour. He'll be pining for cool weather.

Here in Indiana it is in the high 70's with no clouds in the sky.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Cooked out on the deck tonight, overlooking the lake. Glass of bourbon and it’s low 70’s. Sunset coming and it’s a beautiful night. 

Same mode, different picture (wife riding her horse) and drink (ice cold Michelob Ultra Amber)...

Cheers...

On 8/24/2019 at 10:24 AM, IUFLA said:

It's been horrible weather here (Houston area but also applies to A&M, which is only a couple hours away), regularly in the 100s and extremely muggy. Just awful - get back inside weather. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:34 AM, The Daily Hoosier said:

OV to Texas A&M next weekend.

The best thing about visiting would be to go to the football game but it’s on Thursday night. I think this is more of a Buzz recruited at Virginia Tech and now he is giving him a courtesy visit. Just my gut. I feel it’s still between us and SC.

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have never tried to be a conformist or doing all things exactly by the book. I do think it's very very close to time to Cross our T's and ....

Next order of business is to divert Dawson 's Creek through Bloomington 

This would be great news...both for the short and long term. I'll admit my pessimistic side gets the best of me sometimes. If we could have a class of Leal, Galloway, and Cross coming off of last season that means the message our staff is delivering is still being heard loud and clear....and as we've said in other threads focus on the final piece. 

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have never tried to be a conformist or doing all things exactly by the book. I do think it's very very close to time to Cross our T's and ....

Next order of business is to divert Dawson 's Creek through Bloomington 

There is a creek running beside the Memorial Union,let’s just name it Dawson’s creek..

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This would be great news...both for the short and long term. I'll admit my pessimistic side gets the best of me sometimes. If we could have a class of Leal, Galloway, and Cross coming off of last season that means the message our staff is delivering is still being heard loud and clear....and as we've said in other threads focus on the final piece. 

I agree. I just hope that we truly are in the position with Cross that I am hearing.  Early Sept.is the word I am hearing. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This would be great news...both for the short and long term. I'll admit my pessimistic side gets the best of me sometimes. If we could have a class of Leal, Galloway, and Cross coming off of last season that means the message our staff is twdelivering is still being heard loud and clear....and as we've said in other threads focus on the final piece.  

Yeah, landing two in-state fringe Top 100 and an Top 80 from back east doesn't scream of a message.

Archived