Matt Cross Commits to Miami

KDB

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to put together plenty of comments and read in between the lines with some posters and people online. I actually think Archie still wants Cross too. Adding all of these 2, 3, and 4 type players.....go all in for Garcia as final piece for 2020. If we miss on him there we're all in on Lander and Furst/Kaufman for 2021.

I'll just say this. Heck of a job and vision by our staff. This isn't a knock on Archie because he's been forced to deal with a few things since taking over....but for first time in a very, very long time I can see how the classes are being stacked and strategy for future ones as well. Kudos to all.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll just say this. Heck of a job and vision by our staff. This isn't a knock on Archie because he's been forced to deal with a few things since taking over....but for first time in a very, very long time I can see how the classes are being stacked and strategy for future ones as well. Kudos to all.

Amen.  It's not just "We need 7 guys, sign anyone".  There's balance and clear targeting.  And as can be seen with 2020, we're not just rolling the dice on Top 25 guys and hoping for the best.  There's a solid foundation of 3-4 year guys, and if we land that 5* kid, gravy.  If not, the year wasn't a total loss recruiting wise. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Amen.  It's not just "We need 7 guys, sign anyone".  There's balance and clear targeting.  And as can be seen with 2020, we're not just rolling the dice on Top 25 guys and hoping for the best.  There's a solid foundation of 3-4 year guys, and if we land that 5* kid, gravy.  If not, the year wasn't a total loss recruiting wise. 

I think Coach or someone else said this last spring. I'm paraphrasing here but Archie knew he needed to get Romeo but Romeo wasn't necessarily the way he wanted to build the program. I think we can see with guys like Rob, Hunter, Franklin, Damezi, Race,etc....peppered with 5 stars like TJD is the model he wants. Now we add 3 more 4 star guys who will be around and try to pepper with a Lander or Garcia or whoever else. 

I know football season is staring us directly in the face but I'll reiterate this again. Awesome job by our staff. Makes me feel much better moving forward to this season and beyond.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Awesome job by our staff. Makes me feel much better moving forward to this season and beyond.

Agree.  I liked Tom Crean, and in 2008, he was the right choice for the program.  But there were times he needed to change his name to "Captain Chaos".  Energy and positivity is great, but there's a huge difference between a spotlight and a laser.  One is focused, the other isn't.

54 minutes ago, KDB said:

From the same article..........LOL

his recruitment is relatively wide open. He was one of the top breakout performers of the travel season and just returned from an official visit to Indiana. The Hoosiers are definitely in contention, but he will also take official visits to Boston College, Georgia and Texas A&M, while Penn State, Providence, Virginia and West Virginia are just a few others to watch. More time needs to go before a true leader emerges, but a signing is in the cards for November.

21 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

his recruitment is relatively wide open. He was one of the top breakout performers of the travel season and just returned from an official visit to Indiana. The Hoosiers are definitely in contention, but he will also take official visits to Boston College, Georgia and Texas A&M, while Penn State, Providence, Virginia and West Virginia are just a few others to watch. More time needs to go before a true leader emerges, but a signing is in the cards for November.

Technically more time did occur and the signing will happen in November. 

34 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Lol. I think he just edited the article it now says this

For 

Jordan Geronimo, we just saw last night that Indiana wrapped up his talents. His commitment was a bit quick but, either way, Geronimo is a major score for Archie Miller's bunch.

53 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Technically more time did occur and the signing will happen in November. 

True, but he also said more time was needed for a true leader to emerge. Since he mentioned a number of other schools I doubt he thought “more time” meant 5 or 6 hours :)

I just thought the timing of his prediction was kind of funny but the only thing that really matters is that we are getting Geronimo.

1 hour ago, Iuhoopsfan said:

I think Archie would take both, but you would think Garcia has to be the priority now.  

As we have found, if you don't act fast your spot will be taken.  If both Cross and Garcia want IU, first one to commit gets the last spot.  No guarantee that a 5th spot or even a 6th spot will be open come summer 2020.  I'd prefer Garcia over the two.  I think Garcia is a little more polished and ready to fulfill a role right out of the gate.  I could be wrong but I would be fine with either of Cross or Garcia

8 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

As we have found, if you don't act fast your spot will be taken.  If both Cross and Garcia want IU, first one to commit gets the last spot.  No guarantee that a 5th spot or even a 6th spot will be open come summer 2020.  I'd prefer Garcia over the two.  I think Garcia is a little more polished and ready to fulfill a role right out of the gate.  I could be wrong but I would be fine with either of Cross or Garcia

I said this in the Geronimo thread...Next year, Brunk will be our only true center. I know some see TJD as a back-to-the-basket big man, but I personally don't. There's not much call in the NBA these days for 6-9 post up centers. And I would hate to see us back having to defend B10 bigs with 6-7 forwards again.

I don't see how we can take Cross at this point...

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it's fair to say that every commitment is a threat to most uncommitted prospects looking at IU.  I remember Scott saying more than once that after Damezi committed, the staff quit calling Henry.  That's liable to happen for anyone not labeled an elite talent.

I think we keep recruiting Cross. Garcia and Love will likely take their recruitment into the spring so we may see a spot or two open up by then. Even so both are 5 star talents that have blue bloods calling on them. Either will be hard to land. Cross while hard to predict is more attainable. My concern would be a crowded perimeter with who we bring back and who is coming in. I’d say a very long shot to get Cross now.

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I'd love to see an IU commitment by Garcia come soon and catch everyone by surprise. Then we can see if Cross is still interested/ has a spot.  I know Archie likes him and I think there is a spot for him at IU but he will have to be patient. I'm sure the other coached recruiting him are offering immediate minutes and pointing out the logjam of wings at IU. I'd hate for Garcia to lose interest if there was no longer a spot for him. 

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'd love to see an IU commitment by Garcia come soon and catch everyone by surprise. Then we can see if Cross is still interested/ has a spot.  I know Archie likes him and I think there is a spot for him at IU but he will have to be patient. I'm sure the other coached recruiting him are offering immediate minutes and pointing out the logjam of wings at IU. I'd hate for Garcia to lose interest if there was no longer a spot for him. 

Do e really know how much interest that Garcia has in IU.  do you wait on him not knowing if he is really interested over Cross who we know has a lot of interest in IU.  If you wait around for Garcia and he waits  until spring to sign and in the meantime we lose Cross and then Garcia chooses elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do e really know how much interest that Garcia has in IU.  do you wait on him not knowing if he is really interested over Cross who we know has a lot of interest in IU.  If you wait around for Garcia and he waits  until spring to sign and in the meantime we lose Cross and then Garcia chooses elsewhere.

You absolutely wait on Garcia. You take Cross if he wants to come and then if Garcia or Love for that matter want to come you oversign. If Cross commits, you're going to have at least 6 guys (Franklin, Anderson, Leal, Galloway, Geronimo, Durham) who all essentially play the same position, 7 if you count Cross who can also play wing as well. That will push somebody out most likely. These things always have a way of working themselves out.

IU has a good enough class established as is, and they are going to be very selective with who they take from here on out. I'm guessing Garcia, Love, or Cross are the only players that IU is going to take going forward. If they all commit elsewhere, save the scholly and use it on a GT need be.

47 minutes ago, Reacher said:

No matter what there will be a spot for Garcia. I dont think he would be threatened or worried about not getting enough playing time 

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

You absolutely wait on Garcia. You take Cross if he wants to come and then if Garcia or Love for that matter want to come you oversign. If Cross commits, you're going to have at least 6 guys (Franklin, Anderson, Leal, Galloway, Geronimo, Durham) who all essentially play the same position, 7 if you count Cross who can also play wing as well. That will push somebody out most likely. These things always have a way of working themselves out.

IU has a good enough class established as is, and they are going to be very selective with who they take from here on out. I'm guessing Garcia, Love, or Cross are the only players that IU is going to take going forward. If they all commit elsewhere, save the scholly and use it on a GT need be.

I would add Loveday to that list

Archived