Matt Cross Commits to Miami

KDB

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good discussion.  Catching up on two interesting points:

1. I guess I am not as dismissive as some are regarding class balance.  To me, you ideally sign a four man class every year.  The math works out if you have early departures through whatever means.  Ideally, you build a program where there are upperclassmen every year, and we are talking about guys who exhibit veteran traits from leadership (manifested in different ways) to understanding what the coach wants and so forth. It would be incumbent on them to bring the younger kids along, and teach them what playing at this level requires.  An 18 year old kid normally often needs to grow up and needs veteran leadership.  There's nothing like a fellow player guiding you.

2.  When Archie publicly says there will be 4-6 spots, he's not pulling that out of his backside.  It's because he has an inkling of a thing or two.  For all we know, we have juniors that told Archie they will graduate and go look for something new.  The players obviously meet  with the coaches and discuss things.  I don't think Archie just throws BS out there.  He's rightfully reticent to spell it all out.  He's signaling the possibility, though, when he says 4-6 new recruits.  

3.  I don't sweat the scholarship numbers.  We are fans and we can save the angst for losses on the court which is the real end game and how he will be judged.  IMO, we can watch it play out.  If we have 13 schollies on paper and Archie is pursuing somebody, there's a reason.  We don't need to know what that reason is.  It may have come out of a confidential conversation between coach and player.  I don't buy into the fear that Archie may run somebody off, especially at the start of the season.  I don't think it is realistic to think that's on his mind.  Rather, it's that he is aware something could happen.  

The other thing I would add about class balance is I'd like to see us capitalize more on the redshirt concept going forward.  Kids these days take it as an insult, and it should ultimately be their choice.  It's not for everybody or even most players, but it'd be nice if you could reason with some of these guys.  Sure, you have to develop and be patient, but the game can slow down for you as you develop, and you will be a better player ultimately.  

it is a way to balance the classes, if appropriate, and some kids can benefit tremendously from this concept.  We have often used this feature to great success when you look at Brian Evans, Randy Wittman, Ted Kitchell, Joe Hillman, et al. and you could go on and on.  If we have our full complement of 13 players, I think it is reasonable to redshirt a guy every year.  Maybe a kid needs to get ready for the speed of the game, or learn the concepts, or get stronger, etc.  That extra year can sometimes make a player an absolute monster that fifth year.

This can be used to adjust class sizes and ensure proper senior leadership.  

48 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good discussion.  Catching up on two interesting points:

1. I guess I am not as dismissive as some are regarding class balance.  To me, you ideally sign a four man class every year.  The math works out if you have early departures through whatever means.  Ideally, you build a program where there are upperclassmen every year, and we are talking about guys who exhibit veteran traits from leadership (manifested in different ways) to understanding what the coach wants and so forth. It would be incumbent on them to bring the younger kids along, and teach them what playing at this level requires.  An 18 year old kid normally often needs to grow up and needs veteran leadership.  There's nothing like a fellow player guiding you.

2.  When Archie publicly says there will be 4-6 spots, he's not pulling that out of his backside.  It's because he has an inkling of a thing or two.  For all we know, we have juniors that told Archie they will graduate and go look for something new.  The players obviously meet  with the coaches and discuss things.  I don't think Archie just throws BS out there.  He's rightfully reticent to spell it all out.  He's signaling the possibility, though, when he says 4-6 new recruits.  

3.  I don't sweat the scholarship numbers.  We are fans and we can save the angst for losses on the court which is the real end game and how he will be judged.  IMO, we can watch it play out.  If we have 13 schollies on paper and Archie is pursuing somebody, there's a reason.  We don't need to know what that reason is.  It may have come out of a confidential conversation between coach and player.  I don't buy into the fear that Archie may run somebody off, especially at the start of the season.  I don't think it is realistic to think that's on his mind.  Rather, it's that he is aware something could happen.  

On your #2 point, I have a hard time believing that player would tell the coaches before the season that he plans on transferring after the season. As a player, I'm not letting that impact my potential playing time. Take Justin Smith for example (just using his name for discussion sake because he's a junior who could potentially graduate in 3 years), he'll be battling guys like TJD and Hunter for a starting spot this season, he wouldn't want Archie even entertaining the idea of him transferring. 

Maybe a Tim Priller type would let coaches know, as a guy like him knows he's not getting playing time, but I don't believe anyone with a shot to be in the rotation would be discussing transferring with the coaching staff before the season. 

Archived