Matt Cross Commits to Miami

KDB

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how strong he plays. Not going to win any track meets or jumping contests but has a quick release and a good feel for the game. Again very Brian Evans feel to the kid. I was hoping for him to grow into a stretch 4 because of his strength but clearly he plays a perimeter game. Can he guard the 3? (Knowing that he might have to guard smaller/quicker guards too) I will say this is why you don’t go crazy about offers and commits early because it leaves time for late bloomers like this kid to come on late.

2 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Early?  

You mean he might actually be more interested in playing basketball than preening for attention on social media?

Well he said he would like to see what other offers he can get but he valued those coaches already that has recognized his game...and considering he is coming for a visit..I would say we are in good shape. Early might be a stretch but he did say he had a plan already to decide before school in the fall...so this one we should not have to wait til 2020.

3 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Through eight games of EYBL this Spring:

Averages 22 points and 8 rebounds. 

36% from the field.  29% for threes.  82% free throws. 

Other than from the line, I'm having a tough time getting excited about his shooting percentages.

2 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

He is a good shooter.  He just has to force a lot of things because he is their only player. 

Yes...his team isn’t great so defenses are focusing on him and he is having to bail his team out a lot. It’s clear when he gets his feet under him etc he has a good stroke. 

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

I saw him play.  He was the best player on the floor.  The efficiency numbers aren't great, but in this case they don't scare me.  The kid can play.  

So important when we can get some first hand information on a target and not rely solely on stats for our impression of a kid's abilities.

49 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

So important when we can get some first hand information on a target and not rely solely on stats for our impression of a kid's abilities.

I'm no scout, but I'll copy/paste here what I wrote elsewhere.  These are my impressions watching one game at EYBL:

========================================

First the bad.  The only thing I came away with was that he's in that tweener size like Justin Smith.  He's a 6'7" "Power Forward" that doesn't really play from the perimeter or play back-to-the-basket.  He cannot play 5 and shouldn't play 3, but doesn't have the length for a B1G 4.  Afterwards I saw--as WayneFleek pointed out--his efficiency is pretty awful.  Not a great look to take that many shots, with that many misses, and have a losing team.

Otherwise, he was easily the best player on the floor.  He plays heads-up ball, so he's affecting the game on every possession on both ends of the floor.  Willingly fights in the lane.  Definitely athletic; more of a smooth athleticism than plain explosive, but he moves like a basketball player.  

So in my view, the reason he was getting so many shots (and points) is because he was working for them.  Every possession down, he'd fight his man and give the PG an easy pass to get it to him, and then he'd try to make a shot.  The others 3 weren't moving much.  It really seemed that he was trying to help his PG make a safe pass.  Now, should he have tried to distribute more?  I don't know, maybe.  Or maybe the coach wanted him shooting.  Anyway, he was the best player on the floor.

=========================

3 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I'm no scout, but I'll copy/paste here what I wrote elsewhere.  These are my impressions watching one game at EYBL:

========================================

First the bad.  The only thing I came away with was that he's in that tweener size like Justin Smith.  He's a 6'7" "Power Forward" that doesn't really play from the perimeter or play back-to-the-basket.  He cannot play 5 and shouldn't play 3, but doesn't have the length for a B1G 4.  Afterwards I saw--as WayneFleek pointed out--his efficiency is pretty awful.  Not a great look to take that many shots, with that many misses, and have a losing team.

Otherwise, he was easily the best player on the floor.  He plays heads-up ball, so he's affecting the game on every possession on both ends of the floor.  Willingly fights in the lane.  Definitely athletic; more of a smooth athleticism than plain explosive, but he moves like a basketball player.  

So in my view, the reason he was getting so many shots (and points) is because he was working for them.  Every possession down, he'd fight his man and give the PG an easy pass to get it to him, and then he'd try to make a shot.  The others 3 weren't moving much.  It really seemed that he was trying to help his PG make a safe pass.  Now, should he have tried to distribute more?  I don't know, maybe.  Or maybe the coach wanted him shooting.  Anyway, he was the best player on the floor.

=========================

Thanks for the accessment...highlight videos and stats can only tell so much. I think I watched an interview where he said he was having to force some of the offense as he had some younger inexperienced players on his team. Think the coach was playing through him a little too much. I like that he has fight...like he has a strong thick body. He is a bit of a tweener but that’s ok by me..he will have some bad matchups but that might be games he might not see as much action..and as he get older he will learn to position himself to defend etc. To me he works hard and is skilled...he should find the floor at times in his first couple years but I also look at the mismatch he can create for himself too. Taking bigs out or posting up smaller defenders. He is an intriguing piece.

17 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

A new in-depth article on Matt, who visits this weekend. 

Sounds like a tough kid, perfect for Indiana.  We may lead in this recruitment.

From our HSN member @The Daily Hoosier

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-official-visit-primer-class-of-2020-forward-matt-cross/

sounds like your typical Indiana player and would be a good get.  If you get him and Galloway who sounds like the same type of player then you increase your toughness and attitude which we need.

Seems Archie has a connection with his AAU coach going way back. Very complimentary of Archie. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoosierstateofmind.com/2019/05/31/indiana-basketball-visit-matt-cross-means-hoosiers/amp/

I’d say we have a pretty good lead on this one and an impressive visit could wrap this one up. Given we will have front court room coming up he should have as good a shot as any to carve out playing time.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross to enroll at Brewster Academy. Would play alongside Terrence Clarke. Some worry that Cross may be looking for bigger offers. May be beneficial though, as Clarke has made several visits to Bloomington and seems genuinely interested in Indiana. Development of chemistry with Cross would be a plus for us.

1 minute ago, Moyeneeded said:

Cross to enroll at Brewster Academy. Would play alongside Terrence Clarke. Some worry that Cross may be looking for bigger offers. May be beneficial though, as Clarke has made several visits to Bloomington and seems genuinely interested in Indiana. Development of chemistry with Cross would be a plus for us.

Waiting for bigger offers. Lovely.

Archived