Matt Cross Commits to Miami

KDB

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Said in recent interview that he is planning to make a decision in August before school. So a few weeks left on this one it seems. I think a SC lean.

I could be wrong but didn't the NCAA just hit a team recently with a penalty? Thought it was SC but I could be wrong.  Sleepless nights with a 5 month old brain here lol

16 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I could be wrong but didn't the NCAA just hit a team recently with a penalty? Thought it was SC but I could be wrong.  Sleepless nights with a 5 month old brain here lol

It was NC St.  Auburn is expecting to get hit too  

Sorry for the OT tangent, but my wife who works with patients with dementia and brain injuries told me she learned in one of her grad school classes that parents with young children in studies showed similar brain patterns to people with Alzheimer’s. It clears up once the kids get older and parents start sleeping properly again. 

You will sleep again. Eventually. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Sorry for the OT tangent, but my wife who works with patients with dementia and brain injuries told me she learned in one of her grad school classes that parents with young children in studies showed similar brain patterns to people with Alzheimer’s. It clears up once the kids get older and parents start sleeping properly again. 

Until they're teenagers....

6 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I’ve got a 6 month old...I feel you!! Congrats! 

You are correct they may get investigated. Doesn’t seem to worry kids...look at Trendon Watford going to LSU. As long as they have a scholarship and a program kids will continue to go. Appears Cross has a good relationship with coach Martin and his brother. I guess they were perhaps the first to offer him and he valued that.

6 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It was NC St.  Auburn is expecting to get hit too  

I actually sleep more now then before I had a kid. Put her down at 11 and get up at 6. Before I rarely got more than 6 hours sleep because I would go to bed much later...now I’m so exhausted I fall asleep immediately...sometimes even in a chair. I find a child plus being 40 is a perfect cure for insomnia lol.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I’ve got a 6 month old...I feel you!! Congrats! 

You are correct they may get investigated. Doesn’t seem to worry kids...look at Trendon Watford going to LSU. As long as they have a scholarship and a program kids will continue to go. Appears Cross has a good relationship with coach Martin and his brother. I guess they were perhaps the first to offer him and he valued that.

Likewise congrats to you! 

Valid point, as long as the scholarship is there kids will continue to attend that university. 

From Rivals:

"Cross is currently on an official visit to Florida and has previously visited Butler, Indiana, Miami and South Carolina. Next, he’s supposed to visit Texas A&M officially. Cross also looks to be close to a decision and headed into these latest visits, the thought was Indiana and Miami led. Can he be swayed late?"

21 minutes ago, KDB said:

From Rivals:

"Cross is currently on an official visit to Florida and has previously visited Butler, Indiana, Miami and South Carolina. Next, he’s supposed to visit Texas A&M officially. Cross also looks to be close to a decision and headed into these latest visits, the thought was Indiana and Miami led. Can he be swayed late?"

Dang I really hope Archie closes on this one!!

23 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Profile page for Matt Cross with all of the essentials, quotes, evaluation, video and interview.  Will be updated as things transpire.

I think its interesting to think about what Galloway + Cross would do for IU's toughness quotient.  

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/class-of-2020-iu-basketball-recruit-profile-pages-matt-cross/

You list him at 6'6" and Evan Daniels has him at 6'7". I know its only 1" but any idea as to his true height?

I like Cross but don't think he'll be as successful playing inside in the Big Ten- especially if he is 6'6" or under. Seems like he will competing as a wing with a bunch of others. 

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

You list him at 6'6" and Evan Daniels has him at 6'7". I know its only 1" but any idea as to his true height?

I like Cross but don't think he'll be as successful playing inside in the Big Ten- especially if he is 6'6" or under. Seems like he will competing as a wing with a bunch of others. 

Of course I haven't measured him, but I see the listed heights, which are usually inflated, and if my own eyeball test says it doesn't seem right, I round down when I see conflicting heights reported.  That's about it.

5 hours ago, Reacher said:

Yeah I would love it if he was 6’7 pushing 6’8 but if it’s closer to 6’6 that is going to be tough to play against traditional 4s.

Have you guys watched him at all?

He's really not a 4, although he would likely play some 4.  He's much more comfortable as a ball-handler than any 4 would be.  He's pretty rangy out there, and honestly doesn't fit well into a traditional role.  A coach would be an idiot to park him under the basket or anywhere, really.  

Watch this, and tell me he doesn't play like a big guard:

I know the fear here is that he'd be out there guarding an opposing team's 4, at 6'9" or something.  Maybe, but that means we'd have our own help there from our 5.  Matt is really more of an offensive threat, meaning the other coach is going to have to put a good, rangy, fast defender on him, which likely means some 6'5" wing.  Matt's not a guy you use as a placeholder because you don't have someone better.  He's a guy that you fit onto the floor because he makes you better.  He's a body out there, too.  He plays physical and is happy to mix it up in the lane.  And if he gets a rebound he's likely to be flying down the court with it looking to make a play.  

As far as I can tell, Archie really wants to attack the basket.  Matt is that kind of player.

Matt averaged 23 pts and 9.5 rebounds at EYBL this year.  THAT IS ELITE.  He hustles.  Says he's into "old school" basketball.  

Let's not talk ourselves out of this one.  He's not hard to define because he doesn't excel at one position.  He's hard to define because he excels at many.  View him as a big guard if that helps.  

I agree with Stromboli.  The first thing that jumped out at me were his rebounding numbers, even in AAU. That screamed motor to me. 

This is hardly the 1993 Hoosiers right now.  We need talent and hard nosed players.  If Archie is all in, I am too. We need tough minded kids that mirror the coach. 

This kid reminds me a lot of Damon Bailey.  Very savvy getting to the rim and finishing despite not having elite athleticism.  He can fill it up from anywhere that’s for sure. I see him as a 2/3 that could play a little 4 but he’d struggle defensively against the 4.  Still plenty of time for him to grow.  I hope we get this kid!

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

This kid reminds me a lot of Damon Bailey.  Very savvy getting to the rim and finishing despite not having elite athleticism.  He can fill it up from anywhere that’s for sure. I see him as a 2/3 that could play a little 4 but he’d struggle defensively against the 4.  Still plenty of time for him to grow.  I hope we get this kid!

I kept thinking Brian Evans. He needs another inch or so but to me he plays his butt off and plays hard...plays both inside and out. Knows how to use his body to shield defenders. I don’t see a 2...not sure he could afford to guard fleet of foot guards but definitely a 3..and could guard some smaller 4s. I see him as a good mismatch for us and a guy that can get a bucket.

5 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Never would have come up with that comparison but I can definitely see it.

Archived