R.J. Davis Commits to North Carolina

KDB

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5'11 - 6'0 NY point guard who can shoot, recruiting history is mixed, showing in the 3- to 4- star range, but some interesting articles reflecting he has gotten some big school and mid-tier attention, based on his play in tourneys etc. --

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/high-school/lohud-varsity-insider/2018/06/15/boys-basketball-recruiting-heats-up-stepinacs-r-j-davis/704227002/

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/03/12/die-hards-stepinac-star-guard-rj-davis-continues-to-be-a-top-priority-for-jeff-capel/

So offers I can find from Pitt, MD, Illinois, Cinci, St. Johns,  UMass, and a few others, so far. Rated 20th at his position and 5th in state by espn recruiters.

Wouldn't just look at the stars the recruiting services have given him on scouting so far, take a look at Zagoria's comment:

2020 ⁦@ariidavis_⁩ had 30 on 12 shots for ⁦@NYRhoops⁩. Kid is one of the top available PGs in 2020. Plays for ⁦@step_basketball

I think you are going to see another offer emerge here.  Two visits in less than two weeks and he absolutely blew up in AAU last weekend.  Yes he is slight of frame, but sometimes it just doesn't matter.

Videos included here for you to decide for yourself including a 30 point performance against 5-star RJ Hampton.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-basketball-class-of-2020-name-to-know-rj-davis/

For whatever reason Ethan Morton is the darling of the IU fanbase.  Every poster wants to sound like the smartest guy around, saying "Morton is my priority target in this class.... Plays the right way.... Pass first...  Fundamentals..."  And then they explain away his shoddy AAU performance as not mattering.

Morton and Davis play on the same AAU team, and Davis is outplaying Morton very a very large margin.  Davis has more assist, more steals, and far more points.  He's playing the Yogi role, which is that of primary ball handler and primary scoring option.  In my humble opinion, that is the most potent player a team can have.  

I'm a huge fan of this offer.  We need weapons.  Good on Archie for making the offer early.  

EDIT:  As someone so rudely pointed out, no sign Archie has offered yet. 

1 minute ago, Stromboli said:

For whatever reason Ethan Morton is the darling of the IU fanbase.  Every poster wants to sound like the smartest guy around, saying "Morton is my priority target in this class.... Plays the right way.... Pass first...  Fundamentals..."  And then they explain away his shoddy AAU performance as not mattering.

Morton and Davis play on the same AAU team, and Davis is outplaying Morton very a very large margin.  Davis has more assist, more steals, and far more points.  He's playing the Yogi role, which is that of primary ball handler and primary scoring option.  In my humble opinion, that is the most potent player a team can have.  

I'm a huge fan of this offer.  We need weapons.  Good on Archie for making the offer early.  

Love the shooting %s. Primary ball handler shooting 90% FTs

14 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

From the EYBL preview for the team they play for:

"6-foot-6 point guard Ethan Morton (247 Composite No. 43) returns to the fold, and he'll take on a much bigger role in 2019. Morton averaged a modest 4.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 2.9 assists in 21 games a year ago, and he will likely shatter those averages this spring and summer. Morton was named the WPIAL Player of the Year in Pennsylvania after a standout junior season, and he should take on a facilitating role for Borman."

Somewhat alarming that he had modest stats last year, and hasn't started this year well (thoroughly outplayed by Davis as you pointed out), but WPIAL player of the year in PA as a junior is more impressive/noteworthy than 4 games in AAU.

"The final primary member of the backcourt is offensive dynamo RJ Davis. A 5-foot-11 guard from Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains, New York, Davis is a gamechanger in the backcourt. The ultra-quick and shifty point guard was named Westchester/Putnam Player of the Year, leading the CHSAA in scoring at 25.4 points per game. He added per-game averages of 7.0 rebounds and 4.9 assists while shooting 49 percent from the floor and 34 percent from three. He's scored 1810 points in 89 career varsity games, already holding the school scoring record for Stepinac. He should slide in and play a huge role for the Renaissance, and his stock will continue to soar with a strong spring and summer."

While the leading scorer after four games, I don't agree that he's the primary scoring option. That would be Kuminga (#2 player in his class). It actually illustrates how great/efficient Davis has been to lead the team in scoring, while not taking the most shots (66.7% from 3 sure helps and isn't likely sustainable). 

38 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Did I miss something? I don't think CAM has offered yet, right?

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

From the EYBL preview for the team they play for:

"6-foot-6 point guard Ethan Morton (247 Composite No. 43) returns to the fold, and he'll take on a much bigger role in 2019. Morton averaged a modest 4.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 2.9 assists in 21 games a year ago, and he will likely shatter those averages this spring and summer. Morton was named the WPIAL Player of the Year in Pennsylvania after a standout junior season, and he should take on a facilitating role for Borman."

Somewhat alarming that he had modest stats last year, and hasn't started this year well (thoroughly outplayed by Davis as you pointed out), but WPIAL player of the year in PA as a junior is more impressive/noteworthy than 4 games in AAU.

"The final primary member of the backcourt is offensive dynamo RJ Davis. A 5-foot-11 guard from Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains, New York, Davis is a gamechanger in the backcourt. The ultra-quick and shifty point guard was named Westchester/Putnam Player of the Year, leading the CHSAA in scoring at 25.4 points per game. He added per-game averages of 7.0 rebounds and 4.9 assists while shooting 49 percent from the floor and 34 percent from three. He's scored 1810 points in 89 career varsity games, already holding the school scoring record for Stepinac. He should slide in and play a huge role for the Renaissance, and his stock will continue to soar with a strong spring and summer."

While the leading scorer after four games, I don't agree that he's the primary scoring option. That would be Kuminga (#2 player in his class). It actually illustrates how great/efficient Davis has been to lead the team in scoring, while not taking the most shots (66.7% from 3 sure helps and isn't likely sustainable). 

Morton played up a year last year in AAU...had several 5* on the team so took a back seat. Morton seems to be very unselfish and is far from a shoot first kid. I’m not sure AAU will showcase his true talents to their best...but I’ve seen enough tape to know the kid is exactly what our team needs.

7 hours ago, Stromboli said:

EDIT:  As someone so rudely pointed out, no sign Archie has offered yet. 

Maybe I missed the Morton love affair. Seems like a very good player. Davis is a 4 star PG. We aren't in a position to decline interest in those types right now. As  you said...kudos to coach getting in early. 

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Some highlights. Another pg that likes to get to the rim...but will knock down open 3s too. Hopefully someone will upload something more recent soon.

Quick release, nice pull-up mid-range jumper, can finish in traffic. I can see why his shooting %s are high. Looks like he has a good handle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched him for a half Sat at EYBL. Liked what I saw. His teammate, Jonathan Kuminga, looked like a future lottery pick. Not sure who else was on the court besides Morton, but I can see why Morton doesn't/won't put up stats on that team. Davis is aggressive at taking the ball to the hoop, and Kuminga can get his shots. The other two "bigs" on the floor got the scraps before Morton in the pecking order. They were playing against E1T1 and Dwyane Wade's son, Zaire. Zaire looked pretty good and you can see some of his dad's game in him. A bit of a mirror image since he's left-handed.

32 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Watched him for a half Sat at EYBL. Liked what I saw. His teammate, Jonathan Kuminga, looked like a future lottery pick. Not sure who else was on the court besides Morton, but I can see why Morton doesn't/won't put up stats on that team. Davis is aggressive at taking the ball to the hoop, and Kuminga can get his shots. The other two "bigs" on the floor got the scraps before Morton in the pecking order. They were playing against E1T1 and Dwyane Wade's son, Zaire. Zaire looked pretty good and you can see some of his dad's game in him. A bit of a mirror image since he's left-handed.

I agree Kuminga is the star of that team.  He's very impressive.

Davis is not a big guy for sure but I love his attack mentality and he is very crafty as you have to be when you are just 6-foot, if that.  Right around the same height as Yogi.

FWIW, I don't ever see Morton as being a big star, but he can definitely be a pain in your *** glue guy for sure.

Archived