R.J. Davis Commits to North Carolina

KDB

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

If you scroll up this thread you will see that same guy put in a CB pick to Marquette just weeks ago.  At this stage of a recruitment the CB is a complete guess.

In other words, he doesn't have a clue. I take the CB with a grain of salt until I see Meyer or Snow make a prediction and then it snowballs.

My only concern is in interviews he mentions about 10 teams recruiting him hard and never mentions IU in any of them. Perhaps it’s because he is an east coast kid and those interviewing him want updates on east coast schools but it is disappointing. I’ve seen this with him and many others we are linked to. Only ones really talking about IU are the Indiana kids and Matt Cross mentioned us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blessing in disguise? Seems to be a me first player. I think if we were to get him it would affect the Lander recruitment. Alot of overlap with RP still running the show and a shot at Lander in the fold. I think our chances with him are very good. Don't want to risk that. We just need a stop gap which we may already have. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why all the doom and gloom?

The way I understand it, a kid can take 5 ov's a year. He just listed 3. He has two more. Who's to say that he won't take all 5 and we will be one of the remaining two?

Seems a little premature, imo, with all the hand wringing.

He took an OV to G'town in late June so that leaves him with just one remaining OV.

I really, really like this kid's game, but there are so many good kids looking at IU that I'm not going to die another death every time one goes elsewhere.

IU has what I believe will be a very good roster and is going to add two of the best Indiana boys to it next year.  With a little patience, I think IU basketball will get a lot more good news.

33 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I really, really like this kid's game, but there are so many good kids looking at IU that I'm not going to die another death every time one goes elsewhere.

IU has what I believe will be a very good roster and is going to add two of the best Indiana boys to it next year.  With a little patience, I think IU basketball will get a lot more good news.

I agree.  We got the two kids I wanted the most, Galloway and Leal.  The next two big ones for me are Lander and Kaufman in 2021.  From there, I am confident we can nab some other guys to complete a complementary roster.  A big has to be in there.  But, the core is coming together.

It's a work in progress.  If the culture and program take hold, that may be better for it in the long run.  I think it's smarter than going for quick fixes.  I want a team oriented, hard nosed, smart team with veterans leading younger guys, and contributors across classes and positions.  I see it coming together.

5 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You’re not comprehending the point.

Relax it was sarcasm. I would have liked to had this kid too. Obviously he isn’t going to go to a school he hasn’t visited. That said we have one kid willing to take an official visit and people say it is unimportant and are taking shots at him and not being a team player etc and they know nothing about him. Clearly OVs are important part of the recruiting process. It’s a good sign if we are getting kids interested in spending time learning about IU. It may not pay dividends with this recruit but the more you get on your campus the more they will experience and see what we all have experienced with IU basketball and it improves our chances. I’m disappointed we are losing out on RJ but I am also disappointed our members aren’t getting behind a kid that is showing special interest in IU. We complain all the time about the kids who pass on IU and yet we have for all known purposes a great kid possibly wanting to come here and people don’t want to show him “love”...that’s sad...wouldn’t blame him for choosing somewhere else if that is the welcome he gets.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

According to Dustin Dopirak's piece this morning in the Athletic, RJ Davis' coach said that IU is no longer in the running for Davis.

Well that's too bad...really liked this kid but I think Archie feels like he's got enough players to swing for the fences.

Archived