Draft Position

So i have looked at alot of Mock Drafts lately and what i i am seeing is most of them have Romeo around 16-18, with a couple projecting him at 11-13 or 5/6.  And as low as 23

To me, if he can't guarentee in the top10, he should return for another year and increase his draft stock.

What says HSN?

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

So i have looked at alot of Mock Drafts lately and what i i am seeing is most of them have Romeo around 16-18, with a couple projecting him at 11-13 or 5/6.  And as low as 23

To me, if he can't guarentee in the top10, he should return for another year and increase his draft stock.

What says HSN?

I totally agree with you but I am sure most won't agree with us.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't go at all but that is just me and people rips me for this ever time this topic comes up.

Sure you wouldn't. 19 years old and have millions of dollars basically in your hand. Lifelong dream finally in reach. You'd go back to school on "principle" right? I don't buy it.

Just now, hoosier8760 said:

Sure you wouldn't. 19 years old and have millions of dollars basically in your hand. Lifelong dream finally in reach. You'd go back to school on "principle" right? I don't buy it.

I guarantee you that I would stay all 4 years because the NBA will still be there when I get out.  NBA is a job so I can wait awhile and enjoy my youth while I can then go out when my eligibility ran out.  It worked for many years and most of the all time great basketball players played at least 3 years of college.

The lottery of course goes beyond 10, not sure why that would be a stopping point. The mock drafts are interesting but often are just guesses. The point of declaring and getting feedback includes getting direct feedback regarding likely draft position. He will have a much better idea of his likely draft placement. At this point it seems likely he's staying in, on information he's receiving and based on his goals. 

35 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The lottery of course goes beyond 10, not sure why that would be a stopping point. The mock drafts are interesting but often are just guesses. The point of declaring and getting feedback includes getting direct feedback regarding likely draft position. He will have a much better idea of his likely draft placement. At this point it seems likely he's staying in, on information he's receiving and based on his goals. 

Is first round guaranteed contract? or is it top "X" spots?

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Is first round guaranteed contract? or is it top "X" spots?

1st round is all guaranteed, but the last CBA changed the guaranteed years from 4 down to 2, with a team option for the final two years. So, it's a lot less secure than it used to be. 

First, Langford is gone, he's not coming back. I'm only debating this because there isn't much else to discuss right now. With that said, he is a really interesting case. I typically say if you're guaranteed to go in the 1st round then you should go, but theren't typically late-lottery or late first rounders like Langford. Most late 1st rounders or late lottery guys are as high as they can get, but Langford is a rare guy that could actually vault himself from 13ish-low 20's all the way up to top 5 with a strong sophomore year. 

That's a rare situation. It would be a huge, huge gamble, but if Langford got the wrist/hand fixed, worked his tail off all summer on shooting and had a monster sophomore year (think BIG POY) he could go top 5 next year. There's the entire 'start the free agency clock' thing, but also the #4 pick makes a heck of a lot more money than the #18th pick over the course of 2-4 years. 

Again, he's gone, he's not coming back, but I think an argument can be made, in this rare case, for him coming back paying off. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

First, Langford is gone, he's not coming back. I'm only debating this because there isn't much else to discuss right now. With that said, he is a really interesting case. I typically say if you're guaranteed to go in the 1st round then you should go, but theren't typically late-lottery or late first rounders like Langford. Most late 1st rounders or late lottery guys are as high as they can get, but Langford is a rare guy that could actually vault himself from 13ish-low 20's all the way up to top 5 with a strong sophomore year. 

That's a rare situation. It would be a huge, huge gamble, but if Langford got the wrist/hand fixed, worked his tail off all summer on shooting and had a monster sophomore year (think BIG POY) he could go top 5 next year. There's the entire 'start the free agency clock' thing, but also the #4 pick makes a heck of a lot more money than the #18th pick over the course of 2-4 years. 

Again, he's gone, he's not coming back, but I think an argument can be made, in this rare case, for him coming back paying off. 

I agree, don't think he is coming back.  Just wondered what he and his family would say if everyone told him he was going late first round.  Would the loss of the money deter him

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guarantee you that I would stay all 4 years because the NBA will still be there when I get out.  NBA is a job so I can wait awhile and enjoy my youth while I can then go out when my eligibility ran out.  It worked for many years and most of the all time great basketball players played at least 3 years of college.

Only one player in most people's top 10 stayed all 4 years.  Tim Duncan.  Many of the rest stayed 2 and 3.  Lebron was the only one in most of the current top 10's that was straight to NBA.  

But like you said, he's gone.  

43 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Only one player in most people's top 10 stayed all 4 years.  Tim Duncan.  Many of the rest stayed 2 and 3.  Lebron was the only one in most of the current top 10's that was straight to NBA.  

But like you said, he's gone.  

I said at least 3 years and players who played before freshman were eligible really stayed in school 4 years but played only 3 which includes players like Kareem, Wilt and Bill Russell who are all top 10 players of all time.  Bird is in the top 10 and he played for 4 years and Jordan played 3 years.  Players like Hakeem, Ewing and Robinson would be close to the top 10 as well and all played 4 years.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agree, don't think he is coming back.  Just wondered what he and his family would say if everyone told him he was going late first round.  Would the loss of the money deter him

The 20th pick is still guaranteed 2.1 and then 2.5 million in year two (10th pick gets 3.5 and then 4.1). The team then has an option for the next two years.  The bigger home run is the fifth year and later (as an example after 4 years Cody, not exactly a huge NBA star, signed a 4 year 56 million deal (average of 14 million a  year).  If a player is confident in getting to a contract after four years, coming out early and getting to a huge 5th year contract sooner outweighs sliding down a bit in the first round.

I said at least 3 years and players who played before freshman were eligible really stayed in school 4 years but played only 3 which includes players like Kareem, Wilt and Bill Russell who are all top 10 players of all time.  Bird is in the top 10 and he played for 4 years and Jordan played 3 years.  Players like Hakeem, Ewing and Robinson would be close to the top 10 as well and all played 4 years.

I would also prefer playing in college but things have changed dramatically.  Kareem, Wilt, Russell etc did not grow up being able to watch the NBA on tv, they did not wear shoes named after players, the league did not pay first rounders a yearly salary greater than what most people make in their lifetime (In 1960 NBA players averaged 12k per year, in 1970 35k (and the rookie minimum was 13k) )the league was not considered “cool”, etc etc.  You and I might love the thought of playing for IU for 4 years but for many of these kids the NBA,  not college ball, is their dream. If the NBA was my dream, and I was good enough, I would not risk blowing out my knee etc if I was a first rounder.

I'm not arguing I was just fact-checking and actually bird and Olajuwon both played 3 years.

I just quickly looked at Fox Sports top 25 of all time.  

This is a weaker than recent drafts.  Whether he had a disappointing year or not, he still stacks up with the top 10 players with zion having separation from group. IM(O, he just didn't meet the expectations put on him.  Yes he has things to work on and develop but so do the other players like Garland who didn't play and Jaxson Hayes who is a late developer.  Certainly NBA scouts can see IU as a team was a mess of sorts this year and that impacted his production. 

I'm rooting for the spurs to land him but they are fairly deep with young guards and have Derozan.  That said Derozan is about to be a FA in a year so maybe romeo can slide in to take his place after a year on the Austin spurs where the Spurs provide such outstanding development. The spurs are at 19 with Pacers at 18.  Would the Pacers pass on him if there? 

50 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not arguing I was just fact-checking and actually bird and Olajuwon both played 3 years.

I just quickly looked at Fox Sports top 25 of all time.  

Bird might have only played 3 years but he was out of high school 4 or 5 years 

Archived