Run for the roses

Okay Hoosier Nation. Who you got?

I don’t really care, but my wife is a horse addict. I do know that I don’t want to see Bob Baffert win again.

I also know that CoachSS follows and plays the ponies.

I have my Woodford Reserve and mint ready for juleps. The rest will take care of itself 

What? A day where I'm encouraged to drink bourbon? Twist my arm.....No mint, but I do have a fresh bottle of Q418 Bookers I got as an early birthday gift that I've been looking for a "reason" to crack into. The fact it's Saturday is normally reason enough...lol

I won't pretend I follow horse racing all that much, but I'll go with Game Winner. Why? A) I like the name and B) Hard to bet against Baffert.

I'm doing my research as I type. I always do the same each year. I take $15 and bet as many $1 straight trifectas as possible. Hard to choose against Baffert but Tacitus and Max Security are two horses I like. 3-4 horses really like the mud which barring a change in weather will have a very key role this year. Some long shots that love mud are Vekoma and Plus Que Parfait

I'll post my action later but always fun to throw a few bucks and see if it hits. My greatest Derby moment was years ago with a group of friends. We had roughly 70-80 tickets at the bar near the OTB in downtown Indy and we all realized none of us had this long shot named I'll Have Another. We all chipped in (after a few drinks and given the irony) we put $ on it to win straight up. Needless to say I've been betting the Derby for years with the winnings from that race. Figure I have another 5-6 years of betting profits until that story plays itself dry. 

I am totally unprepared this year.  Have not watched a prep race.  Have not read any race analysis.  Heck, I have not even followed which celebs came to town.  I did get out at lunch yestetday and walk around downtown watching the crowds hit 4th Street and the the hotels.

As of right now here's how I've chose to spend my $10. 10 $1 Trifectas....I'm heavy on Max Security, Tacitus, Improbable....and I pepper larger odds with a few as well. Best $10 I spend all year with the exception of Thanksgiving morning when Kroger drops the prices on Turkeys from $30 to $5 because they have extra inventory. 

8/1/5, 14/8/5 ,5/7/1, 7/8/13, 7/9/5, 5/16/8, 7/5/8, 8/7/5, 16/5/14, 8/5/7

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As of right now here's how I've chose to spend my $10. 10 $1 Trifectas....I'm heavy on Max Security, Tacitus, Improbable....and I pepper larger odds with a few as well. Best $10 I spend all year with the exception of Thanksgiving morning when Kroger drops the prices on Turkeys from $30 to $5 because they have extra inventory. 

I'm completely ripping both of these off this/next year.

51 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm completely ripping both of these off this/next year.

Regarding the last part. The Kroger in Nora (North Side of Indy) would mark their prices down to $4-$5 on thawed turkeys morning of.....20lbs+  I always go to the store on Thanksgiving because A) I always forget something and B) the deals are great. One bird for the day and one I make in a week or two....or one I saved for Christmas. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Suggest....buying one of those inexpensive Turkeys at Thanksgiving time.  Put it in the freezer.  Pull it out two days before July 4th.  Let it thaw.  Once thawed just salt and pepper the bird.  And put in a smoker. Low and slow is best. I start at 6 a.m....and depending upon the size  of the Turkey.... take it out to rest around two in the afternoon.  Apple or Cherry wood in the smoker.... or a combination of both.   Fantastic.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Suggest....buying one of those inexpensive Turkeys at Thanksgiving time.  Put it in the freezer.  Pull it out two days before July 4th.  Let it thaw.  Once thawed just salt and pepper the bird.  And put in a smoker. Low and slow is best. I start at 6 a.m....and depending upon the size  of the Turkey.... take it out to rest around two in the afternoon.  Apple or Cherry wood in the smoker.... or a combination of both.   Fantastic.

Great idea! Always confused why one of the tastiest and healthiest meats out there is only used 2-3x per year. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Great idea! Always confused why one of the tastiest and healthiest meats out there is only used 2-3x per year. 

Yes. It is curious.  I don't know about the grocery stores where you live.  But we can't get a whole bird in our grocery stores in the summer.  Just a breast, sometimes.  That's why we always buy an extra Turkey at Thanksgiving time and freeze it to enjoy in the summer.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. It is curious.  I don't know about the grocery stores where you live.  But we can't get a whole bird in our grocery stores in the summer.  Just a breast, sometimes.  That's why we always buy an extra Turkey at Thanksgiving time and freeze it to enjoy in the summer.

Between a dozen or so specialty shops and when Market District came to town....I don't think there is a meat or fish or animal on this planet we can't find on the North Side of Indy. My problem is I can't justify the cost sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Between a dozen or so specialty shops and when Market District came to town....I don't think there is a meat or fish or animal on this planet we can't find on the North Side of Indy. My problem is I can't justify the cost sometimes. 

That is great to know.  Around here we have Whole Paycheck ( Whole Foods ).  A great selection as well.  Even have a Ramen restaurant inside,  which I love. And is equally as expensive. But they  don't have whole Turkeys in the summer. Close to my house we have a Tony's. The original took over a former 7-11, like 30 years ago.  They have tons of specialty items.  But like you.... sometimes hard to justify the cost. 

Butcher Shop | Best Butcher Denver | Fine Meats & Seafood | Tony's Italian Market

They are running the Pat Day Mile  ( funny, mile)  prior to the Derby.  A great honor.  Pat was from Colorado.  And I met and watched him, and shook his hand,  when Colorado had a horse track... just West of Denver, before he became a nationally famous jockey. Great guy, who was very willing to talk to a young mile years ago.

Pat Day

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You read my mind. Big pile of smoked turkey in the middle of summer.

For $5? Oh hell yes.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

You read my mind. Big pile of smoked turkey in the middle of summer.

For $5? Oh hell yes.

What we do is have a big group of people over for smoked turkey on July 4th.  The Turkey always comes out juicy.  And everyone always raves about the taste.  Nothing like the Fresh Turkey we do for Thanksgiving...which cost's a ton more. Either way..... TURKEY"S ARE GREAT !

never done it before but where are people going online to bet on the  race? Just got a feeling all of a sudden and I know nothing about horse racing and have always considered myself TOTALLY unlucky when it comes to betting! On second thought, don't tell me!

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Country House would have been 4th or 5th for not the infraction they are complaining about. Complete BS that they think they should win!

Agreed.  If War of Will's had raised the objection, I may have felt differently.  But, with the way it turned out it's total B..S.

Archived