Run for the roses

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

With the way everything in this country seems to go to court, I'm conflicted on whether Maximum or one of the other impeded horses should sue! Country House clearly was not the winner!

As an owner, or trainer, I would not want to win the Derby this way.  I guess the Country House connections are okay with a cheapened victory.  

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As an owner, or trainer, I would not want to win the Derby this way.  I guess the Country House connections are okay with a cheapened victory.  

Listening, and could be wrong on who was talking, but it seemed the owner was a complete A$$, but the Trainor was   real and said he didn't feel right about the win.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Country House would have been 4th or 5th for not the infraction they are complaining about. Complete BS that they think they should win!

I don't understand the violation either. But then again, I don't follow horse racing either.  So I will have to defer to the powers that made  the decision. And, again, I don't  always agree with the decision refs make in college basketball, after reviewing a play.  Though I think I am know more about college basketball, than horse racing decisions.

I will  say this.  IMHO the coverage of the Derby on Saturday, was the best I have ever seen.  Not being a huge fan.....though I tune every year, just like the masters in golf.. the tv coverage on Saturday.... had me glued to the tv from beginning to end. Best coverage ever. Or maybe it was because Von Miller, of the Denver Broncos was an integral part of the broadcast.  LOL

Von Miller a lifestyle correspondent at Kentucky Derby

And, then... to have the ending decision..... well it had me transfixed. 

And now we move onto just than more two minutes of excitement.... later this month.  The INDY 500 !   Back home again...... oh you all know the rest.

In my extremely limited understanding of horse racing....many are saying they are surprised the call was made but it was correct call. That could have been a catastrophic mess with potentially 2-3 horses being injured and potentially euthanized. 

My wife and I went to the Sam Houston Race Park for Derby Day. I hate quarter horse racing, but it was fun. They had a hat contest and the whole 9 yards.

We both decided to bet $20 apiece on one horse for the Derby. I picked Vekoma (22-1, finished 12th) she picked Roadster (10-1, finished 15th). Right before she got to the machine to put in her wager, she said something to me about Country House, but I told her to stick with her initial feeling.

She didn't say anything after the DQ was broadcast, but man, $1340.00 would have been nice.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

My wife and I went to the Sam Houston Race Park for Derby Day. I hate quarter horse racing, but it was fun. They had a hat contest and the whole 9 yards.

We both decided to bet $20 apiece on one horse for the Derby. I picked Vekoma (22-1, finished 12th) she picked Roadster (10-1, finished 15th). Right before she got to the machine to put in her wager, she said something to me about Country House, but I told her to stick with her initial feeling.

She didn't say anything after the DQ was broadcast, but man, $1340.00 would have been nice.

One of the guys I follow was basically saying he bets his normal horses,etc....but that he also takes $10 or a nominal amount and bets every long shot each and every year just in case. The payouts were unreal yesterday. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One of the guys I follow was basically saying he bets his normal horses,etc....but that he also takes $10 or a nominal amount and bets every long shot each and every year just in case. The payouts were unreal yesterday. 

My mother would place two bets on a race she chose to bet on.  One.... she would bet on the jockey, that she liked the silks of most.  Two... she always bet on the long shot.

In contrast, my dad and uncle would study the charts.

It was surprising.... how many times my mother won and my dad and uncle did not.  And they never bet on a long shot.  But when the long shot came in... she was done for day... and often won more money in a day, than my dad did. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

My mother would place two bets on a race she chose to bet on.  One.... she would bet on the jockey, that she liked the silks of most.  Two... she always bet on the long shot.

In contrast, my dad and uncle would study the charts.

It was surprising.... how many times my mother won and my dad and uncle did not.  And they never bet on a long shot.  But when the long shot came in... she was done for day... and often won more money in a day, than my dad did. 

Depends on the amount each person bets but I'll Have Another in 2012, Animal Kingdom in 2011, Mine That Bird in 2009 were all long shots. When you hit those types of odds you remain on the plus side for years. 

Here's the rule that was invoked...I bolded the part I found interesting...

A foul, according to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, is “any action by any jockey or driver that tends to hinder another jockey or any horse in the proper running of the race.” “A leading horse when clear is entitled to any part of the track,” the rule states. “Except in a straight-away racing, every horse must maintain position as nearly as possible in the lane in which it starts. If a leading horse, or any other horse in a race, swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with or intimidate or impede any other horse or jockey, or to cause same, it is a foul; if a jockey strikes another horse or jockey, it is a foul. If in the opinion of the stewards, a foul alters the finish of a race, any offending horses may be disqualified by the stewards.”

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Here's the rule that was invoked...I bolded the part I found interesting...

A foul, according to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, is “any action by any jockey or driver that tends to hinder another jockey or any horse in the proper running of the race.” “A leading horse when clear is entitled to any part of the track,” the rule states. “Except in a straight-away racing, every horse must maintain position as nearly as possible in the lane in which it starts. If a leading horse, or any other horse in a race, swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with or intimidate or impede any other horse or jockey, or to cause same, it is a foul; if a jockey strikes another horse or jockey, it is a foul. If in the opinion of the stewards, a foul alters the finish of a race, any offending horses may be disqualified by the stewards.”

Thanks for finding this. Since I'm in a more sober state I'm watching the video again and really believe it's the right call. War of Will deserves some sort of honor. If he goes down there I would say multiple casualties would happen. Given the problem ( so many deaths) in horse racing this year I'd say applying this rule was not only  right but good for the sport too. 

One random thought though. I'm curious when they come around the final turn if the fan noise causes these animals to get nervous and move out of line. 

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for finding this. Since I'm in a more sober state I'm watching the video again and really believe it's the right call. War of Will deserves some sort of honor. If he goes down there I would say multiple casualties would happen. Given the problem ( so many deaths) in horse racing this year I'd say applying this rule was not only  right but good for the sport too. 

One random thought though. I'm curious when they come around the final turn if the fan noise causes these animals to get nervous and move out of line. 

We own 3 horses, 2 thoroughbreds and a quarter. One of the thoroughbreds has Secretariat in her bloodline, but she was never raced (slightly bowed leg tendon). She's beautiful and very smart. But horses are, well, rather weird. 

A couple of springs ago, I was parking our John Deere Gator in the front of th he barn. When we took them out in the morning, they never paid any attention to it. When I covered it with a tarp to keep the thick pollen we get here in the spring off of it, they all freaked out walking by it. All 3 of them.

So I guess what I'm saying is, hell if I know 🤔

10 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Something I saw this morning that they didn't discuss yesterday is that when Maximum Security goes back to the rail, there was a horse there making a run and he bumped into that horse some too.

From what I gather, this foul is akin to holding in the NFL. Is it a legitimate infraction? Yes. If you re-watch enough tape, could you make notes of numerous instances where same infraction was commited and not  called? Probably.

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

The story I read this morning states that the jockey said that the foul was all on the horse. That it drifted out on its own, and that he(the jockey) had nothing to do with it 

Said that the horse may have spooked due to the crowd noise.

I wonder if it wasn't just simple physics. That track was a mess yesterday. Think what happens when you're running around a curve in mud. You tend to slide away from the apex of the curve. Have to wonder if the horse wasn't just sliding a little and tried to regain its center of gravity.

If the horse had cut to the inside, then this is a non-factor. But where he drifted outside.... Ehhhhh...

42 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Something I saw this morning that they didn't discuss yesterday is that when Maximum Security goes back to the rail, there was a horse there making a run and he bumped into that horse some too.

Yeah, I saw that too. Pinched him right against the rail.

28 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The story I read this morning states that the jockey said that the foul was all on the horse. That it drifted out on its own, and that he(the jockey) had nothing to do with it 

Of course that's what he's going to say, and being these are 3 year olds that are hot blooded anyway, he's probably right.

But those reins in your hands do serve a purpose.

32 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Long Range Toddy (17th place) also raised the objection.

Does not change my opinion that it was a bush league objection by the Country House group.  Yes, it was a foul.  But, they were in no way impacted by the violation, and in reality, were probably helped by it.  I don't think they even finish second if those other horses don't check.  They raised they objection solely because the saw an opportunity to be declared winner.  If War of Will, or even Long Range Toddy alone, would have raised the objection, I would have understood. 

That said, I still think the War of Will connections did the right thing by not objecting.  It's racing, it was teh horse and not the jockey that interfered, and the horse that crossed the line first was going to win the race either way.  

On 5/6/2019 at 12:31 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Country House not running either.  Preakness has no storyline when it could have had a great one built on revenge.

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Country House not running either.  Preakness has no storyline when it could have had a great one built on revenge.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/country-house-out-of-preakness-stakes-in-triple-crown-debacle/

I feel like "he developed a little cough" is code for "we know he got lucky and isn't that good, so we're pulling him out of the Preakness to avoid the negative publicity a 12th place finish would cause.  We want to sire him out for buttloads of money, so we're going to live off the fame he got from the Kentucky Derby."

Archived