Dan Dakich with some interesting IU comments.

SIAP

It says Chicago Tribune.  But Hutton has worked for the Gary Post Tribune for years.  The Chicago Tribune bought the Gary Post Tribune from the Chicago Sun times years ago.

About - Mike Hutton

Any way.... here's the story :

Hutton: Dan Dakich has something to say about Indiana University basketball and coach Archie Miller - Chicago Tribune

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with some parts of what Dakich says at times, nor do I care for his drifts into territory of airing too much of a personal agenda,  but that's just life .

On the other hand, he's starting to grow on me personally , as far as liking him or not goes. Blame it on his darned podcast now appearing on youtube where I can now listen in when I'm busy working.

In fairness to those who don't tolerate him or like him, his tone certainly invites criticism even when he is generally on base with his thoughts. Sociology 101 at it's finest!! He puts on provocation clinics on the radio shows Lol The guy is charismatic and he at least has the balls to face the heat he stirs up! I admire that quality in itself since the internet has a lot of guys who talk and critique the game who would be lost on a real court having to back up their yaps! 

I respect anyone who willing to dig in and debate the game anytime , anyplace with anyone provided they are willing and able to illustrate or support what they are saying. Whether I like someone or agree or neither is irrelevant to that level of respect.

He speaks the truth most of the time.  It's when he berates anyone who slightly disagrees with him.  When I was building my house I would listen every day.  When he says "swear to god" 13 times in a 12 second span I start searching for classic rock and just wait til JMV comes on.  A dofus in his own right but seems like a likable guy that understands he doesn't know anything.  I like how he just comes at the conversation like most fans would without belittling Callers and acting like he knows everything and his listeners owe him something.  

Grew up in southern Indiana and a friend asked why dont IU fans like dakich.  He is a Louisville guy and thinks Dakich is very knowledgeable and enjoys when He calls their games.  He knew nothing of how Dakich speaks to callers when I told him his latest word for Hoosier fans was cretans.  He then thought back to IU games with Dakich and the little cheap shot barbs he makes at fans and it all quickly made sense.  His first words were, "maybe he's still upset they didn't give him a shot at the job."  

I don’t need an IU fanboy but when a Purdue grad is more level headed and objective than one of our own then I think that says something about him. He takes every opportunity to take shots at us...from “Assembly Call”...to shots at the fans etc I just don’t like it...not saying anything about him talking down to those that disagree...anyways I’ll keep the rest to myself.

48 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Grew up in southern Indiana and a friend asked why dont IU fans like dakich.  He is a Louisville guy and thinks Dakich is very knowledgeable and enjoys when He calls their games.  He knew nothing of how Dakich speaks to callers when I told him his latest word for Hoosier fans was cretans.  He then thought back to IU games with Dakich and the little cheap shot barbs he makes at fans and it all quickly made sense.  His first words were, "maybe he's still upset they didn't give him a shot at the job."  

Yes, Dan admitted as much.... a couple of weeks ago... that he is bent out of shape.... that IU did not even talk to him.... about getting the HC gig at IU ... after Sampsongate... and the fact ... that he felt responsible.... for shedding a light on what all was going on behind the scenes with Sampson. 

While I agree with Dan in terms of shedding a light on Sampsongate.... and the fact that he turned down the HC gig at West Virginia, a few days after he discovered that program was filled with cheaters..... I honestly did not feel Dan should have been given the HC gig at IU.... simply because he played at IU.  His record as a HC... was less than spectacular. And why West Virginia even offered him the job... was beyond me.

NOW.... having been a huge fan of Dan since high school....  having an uncle of mine who was his godfather.... for quite a while.... I was a daily listener of his radio show.  But like you, I got upset, whenever he would hang up on listeners he did not agree with.... and call them names.  That was the end for me. If anyone is a cretin.. as he has called some of his listeners.... the term applies more to him than his listeners.

44 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes, Dan admitted as much.... a couple of weeks ago... that he is bent out of shape.... that IU did not even talk to him.... about getting the HC gig at IU ... after Sampsongate... and the fact ... that he felt responsible.... for shedding a light on what all was going on behind the scenes with Sampson. 

While I agree with Dan in terms of shedding a light on Sampsongate.... and the fact that he turned down the HC gig at West Virginia, a few days after he discovered that program was filled with cheaters..... I honestly did not feel Dan should have been given the HC gig at IU.... simply because he played at IU.  His record as a HC... was less than spectacular. And why West Virginia even offered him the job... was beyond me.

NOW.... having been a huge fan of Dan since high school....  having an uncle of mine who was his godfather.... for quite a while.... I was a daily listener of his radio show.  But like you, I got upset, whenever he would hang up on listeners he did not agree with.... and call them names.  That was the end for me. If anyone is a cretin.. as he has called some of his listeners.... the term applies more to him than his listeners.

Not picking on you Mile, but does anyone else that reads Mile’s posts with all of the ... think he’s typing in Morse code? I get a chuckle every time.

”Now (stop) having been a huge fan of Dan since high school (stop)...” Lol

7 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Not picking on you Mile, but does anyone else that reads Mile’s posts with all of the ... think he’s typing in Morse code? I get a chuckle every time.

I write that way too...lol. Not sure why. Guess it’s just a way to pause and emphasize what is coming next. Kinda like typing how you would say it out loud. I’m surprised I hadn’t been made fun of far sooner for it. Good one with the morse code lol!

3 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

I read . . . the whole post . . . hearing William Shatner.

11 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

Well. I will try to improve........ is all I can say !   LOL, back at 'cha.   Thanks for being a member..... of this..... wonderful..... forum .

Interesting. Dakich and his show is so void of actual original content that it only took 45 days for him to bring IU back up. Maybe his platform has changed. Reading twitter and commenting on that seems to his shows platform...at least when I did listen. 

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I write that way too...lol. Not sure why. Guess it’s just a way to pause and emphasize what is coming next. Kinda like typing how you would say it out loud. I’m surprised I hadn’t been made fun of far sooner for it. Good one with the morse code lol!

LOL, me too!  I think the … for me is a kind of pause, or to emphasize what it might sound like if I were saying it out loud - a quiet ending to the sentence, or an opportunity for the listener/reader to offer a thought or opinion.  However, I used … with a teenager, and it was taken as me being either angry, upset, or something.  ??  We may need to start a "text grammar" thread in the Animal House.  If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times (esp with teens) - you cannot hear the tone of someone's voice in a text.  It drives me insane.

When I "hear" Miles' posts, I hear him thoughtfully expressing what he's saying, pausing here and there either for effect, a drink, or whatever. :)  It's like a longer pause than a comma I think.

14 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

He is sending a telegram from Colorado, that how they it get to the internet from there... I kid i kid :D 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well. I will try to improve........ is all I can say !   LOL, back at 'cha.   Thanks for being a member..... of this..... wonderful..... forum .

Nothing to improve upon Mile.  I just wanted to see if others had the same thought.  I know you’re an old timer, so I just picture you typing in Morse code, and it makes me chuckle.  It brings a little smile to this side of the internet, that is all.

51 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Nothing to improve upon Mile.  I just wanted to see if others had the same thought.  I know you’re an old timer, so I just picture you typing in Morse code, and it makes me chuckle.  It brings a little smile to this side of the internet, that is all.

Thanks for your kind words.  I just try to be different, and interesting.

Right now, I could go for some.....Imo's Pizza 

Take care.  And thanks for being a fun member of Hoosier Sports Nation !

On 5/6/2019 at 7:25 AM, Seeking6 said:

Interesting. Dakich and his show is so void of actual original content that it only took 45 days for him to bring IU back up. Maybe his platform has changed. Reading twitter and commenting on that seems to his shows platform...at least when I did listen. 

When I read this I almost felt guilty for recently admitting in a post that I'm starting to like listening to Dakich.    Then again I don't twit or tweet, or whatever it's called so perhaps that's clouding my judgement?   

I told someone about that post during work last night, and they likened it to enjoying itchy nether regions. FWIW

Separately; .......but also on this thread ...... Mile types and speaks how my wiser relatives speak/have spoken to me.

At least that's how the ones I actually stopped to listen to spoke.

It makes lengthier thoughts less complex to process in real time and some type how they speak. Not to mention brief pauses still work great when I'm giving my kid multi-step verbal instructions. Saves from having to repeat them 5 times.

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Wonder what this is about

18934.jpeg

Probably not this :

Ben Steele on Twitter: "Marquette's closed-door scrimmage this season will be Oct. 20 vs. Indiana. #mubb had played Northwestern the last two seasons. Location of #iubb scrimmage TBA, though it won't be in Milwaukee."

Sounds to me as if Dak is looking for click bait.  Could be wrong. But would not surprise me either.

Thanks Jax for that !

Archived